Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I Don't Even LIKE Galahs!

Go down 
+6
GlassOnion
ScooterNScotty
henpecked
zazanomore
Margaret
patdbunny
10 posters
AuthorMessage
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

I Don't Even LIKE Galahs! Empty
PostSubject: I Don't Even LIKE Galahs!   I Don't Even LIKE Galahs! EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 3:08 am

So Evil Chicken and I went to the bird store for some supplies today. . .
I usually don't play with any of the birds AND FOR GOOD REASON! EC was scritching a baby lesser sulfur crested too. There was a galah in the next cage. I was pretty much just watching EC and the LSC2. The galah started scritching himself like toos do. It was cute so I started watching him. Then I stuck my fingers in to scritch the galah. Then he's trying to climb on my hand through the bars. Then the clerk came by and said "That's amazing. He doesn't like women." Then next thing you know - the galah's out and I'm wrestling with him like a puppy. . .
*sigh* I knew better than to play with any of the birds.

Luckily I'm broke.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: I Don't Even LIKE Galahs!   I Don't Even LIKE Galahs! EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 3:58 am

There is truth, that animals sense if people are good(or have a good intention).
Who was more broken, you or EC? Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I Don't Even LIKE Galahs!   I Don't Even LIKE Galahs! EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 8:22 am

I have this feeling every time I go to the bird store. I leave all jacked up and pitiful wanting to bring home Jellybean. I Don't Even LIKE Galahs! 2643855592
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: I Don't Even LIKE Galahs!   I Don't Even LIKE Galahs! EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 8:44 am

This might be a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyways.

How do animals recognize us as male or female? Is it our tone of voice, or something else?
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: I Don't Even LIKE Galahs!   I Don't Even LIKE Galahs! EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 9:11 am

zazanomore wrote:
This might be a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyways.

How do animals recognize us as male or female? Is it our tone of voice, or something else?
I don't think it's male/female it's more they read your nature, the reason i think most large birds tend to have issues with kids, energetic , unpredictable , almost predator like.That and most can trust a flock leader, some one sure of themselves ,with a presence. That being said then they should get along with men ,but maybe men project a more polarizing personality and ladies are more nurturing,regard less.In general parrots do seem to prefer the ladies,(maybe the higher pitched voice helps) but they all seem to have unique personalities which makes us love them so.
And Roz , i think immature toos should be illegal to have in public, complete snuggle bunnies,too sweet.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: I Don't Even LIKE Galahs!   I Don't Even LIKE Galahs! EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 2:10 pm

I think (and Cap'n's friend Voren wrote a very similar opinion) that they figure out we come in two flavors by the sum of clues running from voice, build, hairstyle but I would be seriously surprised if they think of us as cocks and hens but rather as Type A and Type B. And I'm sure they do also read subtle clues about overall attitude and, like the man above said, our nature. I think that's true of most animals. If they have a bad experience, they may connect it to people of the same "type" based on sorting us into two classes, but I would be shocked if they connected our differences to their own sexual differences.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: I Don't Even LIKE Galahs!   I Don't Even LIKE Galahs! EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 2:28 pm

I agree w/ Capt and what SnS have said. It's not that you're male/female. It's your demeanor, carriage and attitude. Our old M2 "preferred men" and he was just pure evil to me in the beginning. He used to climb down and hunt me to blood my feet. He and I worked through it as I didn't allow him to intimidate me. He became a very, very stable and reliable bird that anyone could handle.

I think some of the toos figure out women are easy to intimidate and we're fun squeaky toys. They learn to squeak women. I saw the way the female clerk handled the galah. She was afraid of him and she squeaked. I don't squeak. The galah tried to squeak EC. EC doesn't squeak either. Toos that don't like women or are ornery in general for some reason tend to like me. About 20 years ago there was a triton in a bird store that was pretty much mean to everyone. He bit pretty much everyone bloody. He liked me. I think part of the reason toos like me (other than I don't squeak) is that I don't go gush on them like most people. These ornery toos I don't pay them any attention. They initiate and solicit my attention.

I was definitely the one more sad to leave that galah. EC wants a sulfur crested or U2.

I need to go back and have a talk with that galah. He needs to understand he's PINK! A man is probably not going to be giving him a home any time soon. He's also a mature male with an ornery streak.

Julsie - You just need to go back and negotiate Jellybean's ransom!
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: I Don't Even LIKE Galahs!   I Don't Even LIKE Galahs! EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 2:45 pm

Interesting read, thanks.

As for the Galah, they looked like stuffed dolls. Smile
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: I Don't Even LIKE Galahs!   I Don't Even LIKE Galahs! EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 3:50 pm

patdbunny wrote:
I need to go back and have a talk with that galah. He needs to understand he's PINK! A man is probably not going to be giving him a home any time soon.
I Don't Even LIKE Galahs! 3437489089 I Don't Even LIKE Galahs! 1335033401 I Don't Even LIKE Galahs! 2382822526
Back to top Go down
evil chicken
Umbrella Cockatoo
evil chicken

My Birds : Sam -cinnamon pied cockatiel
Drake "Ducky" Laurence Lars -sun conure
Eric -whiteface pied cockatiel
Chicky Baby -red bantee hen -my avatar. Not really a parrot, but y'know, gotta include her anyway

PostSubject: Re: I Don't Even LIKE Galahs!   I Don't Even LIKE Galahs! EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 4:31 pm

patdbunny wrote:
I was definitely the one more sad to leave that galah.
Of course you were the one more sad - he didn't love me. I may not squeak, but I'm guilty of being one of the typical gushers. It's definitely the demeanor of the person.

patdbunny wrote:
I need to go back and have a talk with that galah. He needs to understand he's PINK! A man is probably not going to be giving him a home any time soon. He's also a mature male with an ornery streak.
I Don't Even LIKE Galahs! 3437489089 I Don't Even LIKE Galahs! 3437489089 I Don't Even LIKE Galahs! 3437489089
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I Don't Even LIKE Galahs!   I Don't Even LIKE Galahs! EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 5:50 pm

They would have to let Jellybean go for half price for me to be able to swing him. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: I Don't Even LIKE Galahs!   I Don't Even LIKE Galahs! EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 6:32 pm

Julsiebean wrote:
They would have to let Jellybean go for half price for me to be able to swing him. Embarassed

Make a list of all the negatives about the bird - how long it's been there, how old it is, how it's not being fed the optimum diet in the environment (if applicable), how the environment's only going to cause it to manifest behavior problems, its behavior problems, etc. Go in with the list, rattle it off and then offer 1/2 the price in cash on the spot.

I'm tempted to do the same with that galah. The most they can say is no.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: I Don't Even LIKE Galahs!   I Don't Even LIKE Galahs! EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 6:34 pm

I agree ^ Smile
Back to top Go down
moa
Sun Conure
moa

My Birds : Rainbow and the unnamed gcc

PostSubject: Re: I Don't Even LIKE Galahs!   I Don't Even LIKE Galahs! EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 7:25 pm

If you ever find yourself breeding galahs in the future I'd want one of the chicks Cool . I don't think I'd get a 'too from just anyone. I'd want a well-adjusted bird, though I guess galahs aren't supposed to be neurotic like the other cockatoos out there?I Don't Even LIKE Galahs! 1958580474

Quote :
I Don't Even LIKE Galahs! 1335033401 I Don't Even LIKE Galahs! 3437489089 I Don't Even LIKE Galahs! 820986233
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: I Don't Even LIKE Galahs!   I Don't Even LIKE Galahs! EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 7:26 pm

moa wrote:
If you ever find yourself breeding galahs in the future I'd want one of the chicks Cool . I don't think I'd get a 'too from just anyone. I'd want a well-adjusted bird, though I guess galahs aren't supposed to be neurotic like the other cockatoos out there?I Don't Even LIKE Galahs! 1958580474

Quote :
I Don't Even LIKE Galahs! 1335033401 I Don't Even LIKE Galahs! 3437489089 I Don't Even LIKE Galahs! 820986233

A galah is on my wishlist. If you weren't in a different country, I'd get one from you too.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: I Don't Even LIKE Galahs!   I Don't Even LIKE Galahs! EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 8:05 pm

Moa & Zaza -

You guys are sweet! But I don't really know much about galahs! I've been researching today on them myself. Doubt I will ever breed them. I don't do birds that tend to kill or maim their mates. Not really a trauma I want myself or the birds to go through.

I do believe I have enough overall bird knowledge and experience to make the judgment call that THAT galah's a really nice bird despite his "dislike of women". He's really not bad at all. His little stupid antifemale behavior's easily rehabbed. I was told the last woman who tried to handle him got bit on the nose. I'm kinda of the opinion well that was foolishness/mishandling on her part - don't let a bird you don't know near your face! I tell people that all the time, including someone who buys one of my babies. i don't care that it's a baby or sweet or whatever. Until I get to know the bird and have some sort of relationship with it I don't let it near my face.

Coldtrance! You're in San Diego! Aren't you in the market for another bird?!
Back to top Go down
o'TikaandAurora
Lovebird
o'TikaandAurora

My Birds : Tim (Red Wing Parrot)
Prince (Blue Princess Parrot)
Chicken (Pearl Gray Tiel)
Malolo (Cinnamon Pied Tiel)
Aurora (Yellow Sided GCC)
o'Tika (Pineapple GCC)

PostSubject: Re: I Don't Even LIKE Galahs!   I Don't Even LIKE Galahs! EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 10:35 pm

Are Galah's really a type of Cocky? I never knew that.
Back to top Go down
moa
Sun Conure
moa

My Birds : Rainbow and the unnamed gcc

PostSubject: Re: I Don't Even LIKE Galahs!   I Don't Even LIKE Galahs! EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 10:42 pm

cockatiels are supposedly cockatoos too!
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: I Don't Even LIKE Galahs!   I Don't Even LIKE Galahs! EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 1:24 am

Back to top Go down
o'TikaandAurora
Lovebird
o'TikaandAurora

My Birds : Tim (Red Wing Parrot)
Prince (Blue Princess Parrot)
Chicken (Pearl Gray Tiel)
Malolo (Cinnamon Pied Tiel)
Aurora (Yellow Sided GCC)
o'Tika (Pineapple GCC)

PostSubject: Re: I Don't Even LIKE Galahs!   I Don't Even LIKE Galahs! EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 5:59 am

Well to me it makes more sense for Tiel's to be part of the Cocky family that Galahs, look at them they're just mini Cockies, however Galahs look completely different to me. What about Corellas? Are they part of the Cocky family aswell?
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: I Don't Even LIKE Galahs!   I Don't Even LIKE Galahs! EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 1:32 pm

I think 'tiels are to 'toos much as the smaller conures are to macaws (Aratinga appparently means "small macaw", but I actually see the distant resemblence more in the Pyrrhuras) with Galahs more in the small Amazon niche. Only in Australia they are more closely related genetically because of the isolation. I'm probably all wrong, I don't really know my taxonomy, I'm just basing that on physique. I don't think the 'tiels look llike small 'toos, I think they look like small elongated streamlined 'toos.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: I Don't Even LIKE Galahs!   I Don't Even LIKE Galahs! EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 2:33 pm

I still love their little feathery crests and their derpy expressions Smile
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: I Don't Even LIKE Galahs!   I Don't Even LIKE Galahs! EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 4:26 pm

I just told my husband he has to meet this galah. He refuses. He says he cannot resist a cockatoo. Laughing
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: I Don't Even LIKE Galahs!   I Don't Even LIKE Galahs! EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 4:28 pm

That simply means you HAVE to take him there now. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
MandaDPanda
Indian Ringneck
MandaDPanda

My Birds : Aries - Sun Conure Smile

PostSubject: Re: I Don't Even LIKE Galahs!   I Don't Even LIKE Galahs! EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 3:48 pm

patdbunny wrote:
I just told my husband he has to meet this galah. He refuses. He says he cannot resist a cockatoo. Laughing

Bind him in chains. This just means he has to meet the pink little fella Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I Don't Even LIKE Galahs!   I Don't Even LIKE Galahs! Empty

Back to top Go down

I Don't Even LIKE Galahs!
Page 1 of 1