Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Worried about my kitty

Go down 
+11
zazanomore
VickiNumbers
RogerP
henpecked
patdbunny
Margaret
Vikki
evil chicken
GlassOnion
kaeladedah
ScooterNScotty
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

Worried about my kitty Empty
PostSubject: Worried about my kitty   Worried about my kitty EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 6:33 pm

Ariel, my most sweet cat, is not looking so good. He was Dx with CRF early this year and he appears to have taken a turn for the worse while we were out of town. He appears to have lost even more weight, his eyes look dull and he's just not doing right. So I have a vet appointment in 30 minutes.... I need to round him up in just a minute. I'm hoping he just needs fluid therapy... so far his bloodwork hasn't indicated it was necessary. But I had one kitty that had an acute kidney shutdown and I'm... worried. I'll let y'all know what happens. Think good thoughts for him. He's the cat I brought back from Spain with me and I love him dearly. He was a late kitten, all skin and bones when I found him and it was touch and go at first. I'm afraid, at 14, that stress may have caught up with him.
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Worried about my kitty   Worried about my kitty EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 6:34 pm

The only thing I love as much as birds are cats. I hope your kitty gets better and I'll definitely be sending healthy thoughts!
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: Worried about my kitty   Worried about my kitty EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 6:35 pm

Sending you posi-vibes ~~~~~ Hug
Back to top Go down
evil chicken
Umbrella Cockatoo
evil chicken

My Birds : Sam -cinnamon pied cockatiel
Drake "Ducky" Laurence Lars -sun conure
Eric -whiteface pied cockatiel
Chicky Baby -red bantee hen -my avatar. Not really a parrot, but y'know, gotta include her anyway

PostSubject: Re: Worried about my kitty   Worried about my kitty EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 6:41 pm

Wishing the best for Ariel Worried about my kitty 1562621866
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Worried about my kitty   Worried about my kitty EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 6:50 pm

Poor kitty Sad Please keep up updated!
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

My Birds : Sebastian - 7 yr old Harlequin Macaw
Arthur - 12 yr old Jardines Parrot
Pickle - 16 yr old Hahn's Macaw
Ecko - 26 yr old Hahn's Macaw

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

PostSubject: Re: Worried about my kitty   Worried about my kitty EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 6:56 pm

Will keep your kitty in my thoughts. We have three and have lost 2 in the past so I know how hard it is when they get sick...
Back to top Go down
http://www.voliveri.com
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: Worried about my kitty   Worried about my kitty EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 7:15 pm

Poor Ariel, keep my priers too pray
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Worried about my kitty   Worried about my kitty EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 8:49 pm

Thank you all. The news isn't great -, He's in overnight but his kidney function is poor and the prognosis is guarded more later when not on phone. I can only hope the IV will kick start his kidneys. Feeling
ery sad and worried now.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Worried about my kitty   Worried about my kitty EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 9:15 pm

Hug Hug2 Sorry
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Worried about my kitty   Worried about my kitty EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Keeping you in our prayers,Jake,Josie and I
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Worried about my kitty   Worried about my kitty EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 10:58 pm

henpecked wrote:
Keeping you in our prayers,Jake,Josie and I

Tell Jakey-poo thanks for me. Oh, and thanks to you guys, too!

Thanks to all of you. He's like the best kitty ever, but I'm not terribly hopeful and am feeling guilty and depressed. It seems as if everything went downhill in 6 days, but probably I wasn't paying enough attention... his bloodwork was great in April and terrible now. Even when she admitted him, the vet didn't think things were that bad, but... hopefully the fluids will give him a new lease on life.
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: Worried about my kitty   Worried about my kitty EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 11:16 pm

ScooterNScotty wrote:
(...)I'm not terribly hopeful and am feeling guilty and depressed.(...)
Deb, you shouldn't. You gave him the best care, a long life and love and I bet that kitty is fighting for his life to stay longer with you.
I know it's hard...
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Worried about my kitty   Worried about my kitty EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 11:35 pm

Margaret wrote:
ScooterNScotty wrote:
(...)I'm not terribly hopeful and am feeling guilty and depressed.(...)
Deb, you shouldn't. You gave him the best care, a long life and love and I bet that kitty is fighting for his life to stay longer with you.
I know it's hard...
I'm with Margaret. You know they hide illness well.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Worried about my kitty   Worried about my kitty EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 11:51 pm

patdbunny wrote:

I'm with Margaret. You know they hide illness well.

I know... birds and cats, why do we love them? But it's hard not to think about the coulda shouldas. Without me, he probably wouldn't have lived to see 2, so there is that...
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

My Birds : ~Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure
(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

~Arthur - Red Bellied Parrot
(Hatchdate January 7, 2009, rescued October 7, 2011)

PostSubject: Re: Worried about my kitty   Worried about my kitty EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 1:48 am

We lost a cat here a couple of years ago, same kind of thing. He was 14 or so and a great cat, saved him from a farm. I have an idea how you feel, Deb. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Worried about my kitty   Worried about my kitty EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 9:53 am

I've got all the hope, faith, and good vibes I can muster coming your way. Nothing like the love of a good cat.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Worried about my kitty   Worried about my kitty EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 2:59 pm

Thanks guys. He'll probably be hospitalized for a couple more days before we know anything. He's doing OK, but not eating for them yet. I'm planning to go visit later this afternoon.

Hey, have you guys seen the AT&T commercial with the vet's office? That's our cat vet! (they don't really treat birds, pigs or snakes). Her longtime partner retired (and apparently sold the practice to someone else) and she recently opened her own practice. So you can see he's in good hands.

The tall red-headed guy is Ben, formerly vet tech extrodianaire and now office manager. He once brought our kitty Nikki out from the back room and we enthusiastically greeted her with her nickname "Stinky". He looked at us and said, absolutely deadpan, "Well, you could just call me Ben". Cracks me up every time I think of it.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Worried about my kitty   Worried about my kitty EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 7:27 pm

So, they pulled blood again today and it's slightly better but not great. At least his BUN is now measurable. With the IV running and a bunch of meds on board, Ariel is looking much much better. He sat on my lap for a while and then ate a bunch while I was sitting with him. I have a little hope he may get to come home, but not a great deal. He'll stay an inpatient until Monday morning and then we will see what his blood work is doing. I have no problem doing subcutaneous fluids if he has enough kidney function for a good quality of life that way. I'm just not sure he will. I'm so bummed because in April his function was just barely into the impaired range, and it just plummeted to zero, presumably while we were away (I THINK I would have noticed if he was that bad before we left). Anyway, I appreciate all your good energy.

Since I just finished explaing to the techs why I have a male cat named Ariel... it's after the spirit in Shakespeare's "The Tempest". It's pronounced Are-ee-el, and Prospero found the (male) spirit Ariel in a cloven pine -- I found my Ariel under a bush at the entrance to the canteen at the Villafranca Tracking Station in Madrid. In retrospect, it was a tactical error, that name, since everyone thinks he's a little mermaid....

Here is a photo of him, he's the one on the left, the large black and white monster is Pepe Le Pew.

Worried about my kitty N1437017096_413982_507967
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Worried about my kitty   Worried about my kitty EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 8:55 pm

Your kitties have just made it to the top of my catnapping list. Smile

He's beautiful! I hope he pulls through and gets to come home.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Worried about my kitty   Worried about my kitty EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 9:33 pm

KayLayUh wrote:
Your kitties have just made it to the top of my catnapping list. Smile

Oh nooooooooo!!!!! I never thought of you as a cat burglar! Maybe if I post cute pictures of Nikki, you'll come and catnap her! She is absolutely gorgeous, and she's a very happy cat, but she just does not want to be handled by humans AT ALL. She actually lets my husband pet her from a fully outstretched arm distance, but since I'm the one that catches her to take to the vet and clip her claws, I don't get to touch her unless I hunt her for half an hour. Then when I finally get hold of her she goes totally, wierdly submissive. She's positively cuddly when at the vet's office, but that's the only time I ever get to pet her. We got her at just about a year old from a rescue. All we really know is that she was confiscated from an extreme hoarding situation at about 8 weeks of age and spent the rest of her first year with the rescue. She was described as "a little shy". I'm guessing she didn't have enough human contact during those first weeks and that she is essentially feral in that respect. Oh well, at least she's a happy healthy house decoration. She loves Ariel and is missing him... Here's a snapshot of those two:

Worried about my kitty NikkiandAriel
'
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Worried about my kitty   Worried about my kitty EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 9:37 pm

I have a scar on my arm from handling a cat like that. He's terrified of hair dryers and an aunt turned it on while I was holding him, scratched up my whole arm.

She's a cutiepie, too. The only animals I love as much as birds are cats.
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: Worried about my kitty   Worried about my kitty EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 1:17 am

Nikki is GORGEOUS, but my mind is on Ariel. I'm very anxious for an update. I don't know how I missed this thread until just now, but I did. I don't care much for cats in general, but regardless of opinion about the species, I care deeply about my friends' family members. I'm sending kidney healing energy westward as I type. Please keep us posted...
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Worried about my kitty   Worried about my kitty EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 1:34 am

Thank you Vicki! I'll know more on Monday.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Worried about my kitty   Worried about my kitty EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 10:42 am

Thinking of you and your buddy!
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Worried about my kitty   Worried about my kitty EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 2:35 pm

Kitty news not great, now waiting for results of abdominal Xray. Kidney values still very low -- he might do well for a few weeks on fluids just on that basis. However, he now has increasing white blood count and swelling (prob lymph node) in the abdomen. If it's an infection, treatment may be worth it, if it is cancer...I don't think treatment would be in his best interest given the kidney situation. Feeling very sad.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Worried about my kitty   Worried about my kitty Empty

Back to top Go down

Worried about my kitty
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next