Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cockatiel Rescue

Go down 
+3
coral
zazanomore
Nevermore
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Nevermore
Cockatiel

My Birds : Captain Jack Parrot: Green-cheeked Conure

Cheeky/Sir Cheeks - Cockatiel

Cockatiel Rescue Empty
PostSubject: Cockatiel Rescue   Cockatiel Rescue EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 8:05 pm

So....I'm not a huge fan of Cockatiels. They strike me as the 'plain Jane' parrots. I know some people love them, but thats just me.

Anyway. There is now a Cockatiel in Jack's old cage, sitting in the middle of my living room right now.

A few days ago one of my brothers notified me that a red-cheeked, mohawked parrot was hanging around a place he worked. Since it was private property and I couldn't go near it...I gave him instructions to capture it ASAP.

Its October. We've had real good weather so far, but this is Canada. It doesn't last that long. In fact; it ended today. Its currently pouring and COLD.

I got the message at work today that the bird had arrived. Parents stuffed her in the cage with a few perches, some of Jack's food and water. My niece named her/it 'Cheeky'

So. I had my parents give her apple cider vinegar water and a pile of seeds along with the pellets, since Jacks pellets are for a nice heavy conure beak and not the itty bitty Cockatiel pincher. When I got home, I learned that she has been apparently stuffing her face with food all afternoon. She's only stopped to breath. So I towelled her, and had a closer look at the girl. Her keel is sticking out like the edge of a knife. The poor thing is starving. But other than that, she looks healthy.

The one thing that REALLY pisses me off though, is her band. My parents told me she was banded. She isn't. Its a piece of Red zip-tie someone has put on her leg as if it were a band. Cut flush, no bits hanging off. This can't be normal practice, is it?

I've put together a breakfast of crushed harrisons treats, fatty seeds, and broccoli for her tomorrow morning and given her some of Jack's old toys. I'm planning to start looking for her parronts soon.
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

Cockatiel Rescue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cockatiel Rescue   Cockatiel Rescue EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 8:21 pm

WOW. You know, this abnormally warm weather probably saved her.

I'm so glad she is in your care. I know there's a website called parrot alert, and you can post that you've found a bird, and it will be sent to all members in the area.

If you can't find the owner, is there any chance you'd be keeping her?

You'd be surprised how much spunk cockatiels actually have Razz
Back to top Go down
Nevermore
Cockatiel

Cockatiel Rescue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cockatiel Rescue   Cockatiel Rescue EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 8:30 pm

I don't know....I don't have a lot of room and I don't have a lot of time either for another fid. But at the same time I feel really bad for this poor girl. My first instinct is to stuff her face and bath her an get her to the vet and smoosh her in a pile of toys.

Trying hard not to get attached to her. I just really hope we can find her parents, and they turn out to be good people that want her back.

I'm surprised at how surprised I was at the birds reaction to me. I'm far, far too spoiled by Jack. He out grew his "AHHH! HUMAN!!!! ITS TRYING TO EAT ME!!!" reaction within a month of my having him....four or five years ago??? SO not accustomed to a bird screeching in fear and fleeing my hand when I reach in to say Hi.
Back to top Go down
Nevermore
Cockatiel

Cockatiel Rescue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cockatiel Rescue   Cockatiel Rescue EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 8:32 pm

Any thoughts on that red ziptie band? It REALLY pissed me off after I had a good look at it. Please tell me that its a normal style of band so I can stop hovering around her with a pair of side cutters.
Back to top Go down
Nevermore
Cockatiel

Cockatiel Rescue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cockatiel Rescue   Cockatiel Rescue EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 8:38 pm

Just called Jack's vet to ask about the band. Apparently there is no style of band that looks like a plastic zip tie...UNLESS the owner is trying to tell the difference between her and other birds without doing the official band. Maybe a breeder?
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

Cockatiel Rescue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cockatiel Rescue   Cockatiel Rescue EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 8:40 pm

Honestly, that doesn't sound right. If it isn't a normal band, I'd snip it right off.

And while looking for the cockatiel's owners, I'd ask the owner for a description of the bird.

You never know, she could actually be tame. I'm sure the Canadian wild is a bit too much to take in for a little cockatiel.

I hope she's healthy and I hope there's a happy ending!
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

Cockatiel Rescue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cockatiel Rescue   Cockatiel Rescue EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 8:40 pm

Nevermore wrote:
Just called Jack's vet to ask about the band. Apparently there is no style of band that looks like a plastic zip tie...UNLESS the owner is trying to tell the difference between her and other birds without doing the official band. Maybe a breeder?

But isn't that dangerous?
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

Cockatiel Rescue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cockatiel Rescue   Cockatiel Rescue EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 8:42 pm

Oh, and is there any way for you to post a pic?
Back to top Go down
Nevermore
Cockatiel

Cockatiel Rescue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cockatiel Rescue   Cockatiel Rescue EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 9:25 pm

Cockatiel Rescue 2011_o10

I hope that worked. Otherwise the photo is in my gallery.
Back to top Go down
coral
Sun Conure
coral

My Birds : CAG-Mikko, Blue headed pionus- Marty, 11 finches

Cockatiel Rescue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cockatiel Rescue   Cockatiel Rescue EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 9:28 pm

honestly id take the zip tie off and find her a new home if your not keeping her.. who in thier right mind puts a zip tie on a bird??
Back to top Go down
Nevermore
Cockatiel

Cockatiel Rescue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cockatiel Rescue   Cockatiel Rescue EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 9:48 pm

It isnt giving her any immediate problems, so I'm leaving it be until she has had the chance to relax and stuff her face.
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

Cockatiel Rescue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cockatiel Rescue   Cockatiel Rescue EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 9:52 pm

She looks like he. Razz
Back to top Go down
Nevermore
Cockatiel

Cockatiel Rescue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cockatiel Rescue   Cockatiel Rescue EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 9:54 pm

My sister-in-law has a cockatiel that looks identical in colouring. And its a She. Laid eggs to prove it.

I suspect this one is a he too though, because it is a little more vocal than the females I know. But the 'she' kinda stuck.
Back to top Go down
coral
Sun Conure
coral

My Birds : CAG-Mikko, Blue headed pionus- Marty, 11 finches

Cockatiel Rescue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cockatiel Rescue   Cockatiel Rescue EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 9:58 pm

do you think your sister in law would want it if you dont end up falling for her lol
Back to top Go down
Nevermore
Cockatiel

Cockatiel Rescue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cockatiel Rescue   Cockatiel Rescue EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 10:03 pm

no. they have too many already. Two cockatiels, a budgie, a harris hawk and a dog
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

Cockatiel Rescue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cockatiel Rescue   Cockatiel Rescue EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 10:08 pm

I don't know the sex of Madoc, so I'm sticking with female as well Smile
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

Cockatiel Rescue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cockatiel Rescue   Cockatiel Rescue EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 11:52 pm

Keep it if you can't find the owners. It can keep Jack company.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
Nevermore
Cockatiel

Cockatiel Rescue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cockatiel Rescue   Cockatiel Rescue EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 6:13 am

Jack would probably kill it. I've been 'his' human for most of his life, and he has never met another pet bird before. He is VERY protective of his territory.
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

Cockatiel Rescue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cockatiel Rescue   Cockatiel Rescue EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 6:26 am

I would think it's a breeder bird, banded after it got old enough to determine sex.I would think it's still tameable though.
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

Cockatiel Rescue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cockatiel Rescue   Cockatiel Rescue EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 9:00 am

I'm sure a cockatiel wouldn't be difficult to tame. They're such honey-bunches, they crave love and attention.
Back to top Go down
Nevermore
Cockatiel

Cockatiel Rescue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cockatiel Rescue   Cockatiel Rescue EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 9:07 pm

Update...Cheeky is looking good. She's been eating well...REALLY well. And even likes the pellets I put in her cage (though only the green and orange ones apparently). I caught her one day with her beak smeared with palm oil, and bits of millet stuck ALL over her face in the oil. Little piggie.

On the downside of things. Nobody has claimed her. The number of people in the area who have lost cockatiels is kinda scary though.

We know of someone who is interested in having a bird; so we'll see what happens.
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

Cockatiel Rescue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cockatiel Rescue   Cockatiel Rescue EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 11:50 pm

I'm glad she/he is safe.
Are you sure, that Cheeky won't stay with you and Jack? Worth to try at least...
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

Cockatiel Rescue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cockatiel Rescue   Cockatiel Rescue EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 1:57 am

Woah!! SO much action on this thread!

I'm so happy Cheeky is in your hands. I also think that 'she' is a 'he' because females don't whistle nor have the bright yellow heads. BUT, a DNA test wouldn't hurt at all Smile
Back to top Go down
Nevermore
Cockatiel

Cockatiel Rescue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cockatiel Rescue   Cockatiel Rescue EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 3:36 pm

GlassOnion wrote:
Woah!! SO much action on this thread!

I'm so happy Cheeky is in your hands. I also think that 'she' is a 'he' because females don't whistle nor have the bright yellow heads. BUT, a DNA test wouldn't hurt at all Smile

My sister-in-law has a cockatiel with a bright yellow head. It lays eggs every year.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

Cockatiel Rescue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cockatiel Rescue   Cockatiel Rescue EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 7:20 pm

Is the tiel a Lutino, or a regular grey? suspect
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cockatiel Rescue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cockatiel Rescue   Cockatiel Rescue Empty

Back to top Go down

Cockatiel Rescue
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next