Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Arthur update....making progress I think

Go down 
+12
coral
GlassOnion
patdbunny
Vikki
kaeladedah
Margaret
evil chicken
VickiNumbers
flappinhappy
dusty
ScooterNScotty
RogerP
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 1:29 am

I may be weird, but I'm really jealous of you and Arthur. I think it would be so much fun trying to work with a rehome.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 2:09 am

Why don't you get a problematic rehome then? Wink There are tons on your local kijiji from my findings..
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 2:16 am

Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

My Birds : ~Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure
(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

~Arthur - Red Bellied Parrot
(Hatchdate January 7, 2009, rescued October 7, 2011)

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 2:28 am

zazanomore wrote:
I may be weird, but I'm really jealous of you and Arthur. I think it would be so much fun trying to work with a rehome.

Define "fun". There are days I wonder why the hell I brought Arthur home. Lately I think we'll get there someday. I just need to remember to work at Artur's speed, not mine (which is soooo hard).
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 2:47 am

A screaming amazon in an apartment? NO WAY!!
Back to top Go down
coral
Sun Conure
coral

My Birds : CAG-Mikko, Blue headed pionus- Marty, 11 finches

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 4:48 pm

fun?! its not at allll but it is very rewarding once things start going okay.. but ive got a lot of scars from marty lol and with mikko it was very discouraging for a while.
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 11:45 am

I just really enjoy challenges.

Plus, the idea of helping a bird overcome it's fear of humans is heartwarming. You never know what kind of past he's had, but you can make him enjoy life again.
Back to top Go down
coral
Sun Conure
coral

My Birds : CAG-Mikko, Blue headed pionus- Marty, 11 finches

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 6:50 pm

i know that this is late but i feel the same way zaza. the bird doesnt have to like everyone but i think all birds can be great if given the chance. someone made the bird loose trust in humans in the past and it has to learn to trust people again. marty went through a lot so i was suprised how he progressed while living with me. i kinda compare it to people, people dont trust each other once theyve lost trust in someone right? same with birdies. and getting a bird whos afraid of/hates everyone to trust and love you is one of the best feelings in the world I love you

roger keep trying it takes forever to earn a birds love when their terrified on people.. marty hated me for the longest time and i have the scars to prove it! Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 2277367267 i know its hard and discouraging when they dont do what you want. sometimes when my ex boyfriend would spend long periods of time with marty and i he would actually start to like my boyfriend better and not want anything to do with me lol.

also i want some updates!!
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 8:55 pm

Hang in there Roger, there's nothing like being loved by a bird who does need anybody.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 3:23 am

How awful would it be if Arthur were a happy healthy bird that never really wanted to be cuddly? When we brought Scooter home, I was warned he might be "a cage decoration" but we wanted him to have a better life than what he had. I was lucky that he turned out more interactive than that, and I've had significant frustrations when I felt it was slipping away... But more recently I've tried to sort out what is worry about his well being, what is my wanting certain things from my pets, and what is my ego/sense of control thinking that I OUGHT to be able to make things different. When I manage not to see his erratic moments as something for which I am responsible, the sadness associated with the thought that things may not be the way I hoped is less a desperate thing -- and that's often when he decides he wants a head scratch after all.

Don't know if that helps...
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 4:32 am

That's what I keep coming back to Deb, that first and foremost he needs to be healthy and happy, and he seems to be that, as long as he is in his cage. However, I see part of that health and happiness as having out of cage time too, and if I can't interact with him to "handle" his out of cage time, that becomes less likely for me to do. It is also hard to spend time with a bird that is just fine taking treats, but shows little interest in anything else involving me. How do I take him to the vet for check ups when everything I do becomes a traumatic event (for both of us)?

I am just finding it hard to reconcile that I may never be able to spend "quality" time with him. The most frustrating part is that when I first had him home he would occasionally step up if I got him away from his cage, and he would sit with me. Now he won't do those things. I know this is likely because now the "honeymoon" is over (boy don't I know it!), but it seems like we keep moving in the wrong direction. Every time I sit next to his cage to talk to him he paces like he can't wait for me to open the door. The when I do he comes out and if I try to give scritches I get bit. If he climbs on my arm and I happen to move at all he freaks out.

What really need is for Barbara Heidenreich to come to my house and show me what I am doing wrong. I really wish there was a Cesar Millan for birds out there somewhere. Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 1562621866
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 11:12 pm

Roger, good luck!

GlassOnion wrote:
A screaming amazon in an apartment? NO WAY!!
Eeee, after wanting some bird sooooo much, you'll call bird "beautiful talking amazon in apartment"- trust me Roz
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 1:36 am

Small update on Arthur today. Today I was able to coax him off the arm of the couch onto some piled up blankets, and out to about halfway across the couch. He then practiced some "step ups" onto my forearm (still won't step up onto my hand). Once there I was able to get him to walk down my arm and finally onto my hand. He didn't stay long, but I did get him there. He also let me give a lengthy round of skritches without trying to remove my fingers. Overall, a fairly good day!

Just thought I would share the good as well as the bad!
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 3:03 am

yay!!! Go Arthur! Go Roger!
Back to top Go down
dusty
Scarlet Macaw
dusty

My Birds : congo african grey (coco)
blue fronted amazons (willie and vasgo)
sun conure (simon)
greencheeked conure (jack)
senegal (walter)
senegal (crockett)
goffin cockatoo (sammy)
moluccan cockatoo (mango)
severe macaw (cody)
quaker (yoshi)

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 9:13 am

that is great news roger...well done

dusty
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 12:26 pm

cheers Happy Yes Cheer!
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 9:55 pm

Hip - Hip..

Cheer! Cheer! Cheer!

HOORAY!!
Happy Happy Happy
wee wee wee wee wee
Happy Happy Happy Happy Happy Happy
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
evil chicken
Umbrella Cockatoo
evil chicken

My Birds : Sam -cinnamon pied cockatiel
Drake "Ducky" Laurence Lars -sun conure
Eric -whiteface pied cockatiel
Chicky Baby -red bantee hen -my avatar. Not really a parrot, but y'know, gotta include her anyway

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 12:24 am

VickiNumbers wrote:

Hip - Hip..

Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 800892966 Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 800892966 Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 800892966

HOORAY!!
Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 3508084831 Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 3508084831 Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 3508084831
Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 1270972548 Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 1270972548 Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 1270972548 Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 1270972548 Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 1270972548
Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 3508084831 Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 3508084831 Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 3508084831 Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 3508084831 Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 3508084831 Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 3508084831
Well, can't top that. So Ditto!! Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 4014162036Hooray for you and Arthur!!! Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 4014162036
Back to top Go down
Pretty_Poe
Sun Conure
Pretty_Poe

My Birds : Poe - Yellow Sided GCC
Doppler - Pearl Whiteface Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 3:54 pm

VickiNumbers wrote:

Hip - Hip..

Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 800892966 Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 800892966 Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 800892966

HOORAY!!
Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 3508084831 Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 3508084831 Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 3508084831
Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 1270972548 Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 1270972548 Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 1270972548 Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 1270972548 Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 1270972548
Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 3508084831 Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 3508084831 Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 3508084831 Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 3508084831 Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 3508084831 Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 3508084831

What she said!
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 2:57 pm

And back the pendulum swings! Arthur did his thing with coming out of the cage and walking across the couch to climb on my arm, as usual. Then, initially a breakthrough of sorts, he felt brave enough to crawl across my shirt and up onto my right shoulder, which kind of had me worried. When he reached toward my ear with his beak, I flinched. Which caused him to fly off my shoulder and land on the floor.

I left him there for a while to get his bearings, then went to get him. Which led to following him around the house, at one point having to get him out from under the couch. I eventually had to towel him to get him back to his cage, which he was oh so happy about!

Now, he is still coming out of the cage, will still step up on my arm, so it's not all bad. He won't stay there, however, so we have stepped back some, again.

Any feed back? Something I should have done, or should not have done? I know I screwed up with the flinching, but I don't trust him yet, and that beak hurts! I did not want him on my shoulder, but did not want to discourage the bravery.
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

PostSubject: He "licked" me!   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 EmptyFri May 11, 2012 3:39 am

Quick update: Today when Arthur came out to play, I was giving him some of his almond treats, then asked if I could give him skritches. He let me do this for a while, then turned his head. I thought this was where he was going to separate me from one of my fingers, but instead he began licking my fingers! He has never done this before with me! He has done it with my wife and my sons, but never with me.

He still won't step up on anyone for any length of time, but he does seem to be becoming at least a little more trusting. Just thought I would share!

Past my bedtime, good night all!Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 1307553321
Back to top Go down
dusty
Scarlet Macaw
dusty

My Birds : congo african grey (coco)
blue fronted amazons (willie and vasgo)
sun conure (simon)
greencheeked conure (jack)
senegal (walter)
senegal (crockett)
goffin cockatoo (sammy)
moluccan cockatoo (mango)
severe macaw (cody)
quaker (yoshi)

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 EmptyFri May 11, 2012 8:07 am

that is great news roger...arthur is a hard nut to crack but you can do it with time

dusty
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 EmptyFri May 11, 2012 8:14 am

Great news Roger, congrats. Now you're ready for a new challenge, how about a zon ?
Back to top Go down
Pretty_Poe
Sun Conure
Pretty_Poe

My Birds : Poe - Yellow Sided GCC
Doppler - Pearl Whiteface Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 EmptyFri May 11, 2012 10:40 am

Awesome news! Glad to hear!
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 EmptyFri May 11, 2012 12:46 pm

You sure get an A for patience and persistence, that's a really good development!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Arthur update....making progress I think   Arthur update....making progress I think - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Arthur update....making progress I think
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next