Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

All you GCC owners in here please

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
o'TikaandAurora
Lovebird
o'TikaandAurora

My Birds : Tim (Red Wing Parrot)
Prince (Blue Princess Parrot)
Chicken (Pearl Gray Tiel)
Malolo (Cinnamon Pied Tiel)
Aurora (Yellow Sided GCC)
o'Tika (Pineapple GCC)

All you GCC owners in here please Empty
PostSubject: All you GCC owners in here please   All you GCC owners in here please EmptyThu Jun 21, 2012 8:45 am

What in this corner :

All you GCC owners in here please Fbec0cad

would illicit this kind of behaviour :

All you GCC owners in here please Ee30909d

????????

It's driving us up the bloody wall! She's been doing it for days!

Nothing has changed with what you can see in that corner, except for the fact that we've packed and unpacked it 3 times and gone through every single thing asking her 'is it this?!' and gotten no answer.

I'm sure you've all seen that pose, the crouched, fluttering wing, beak pressed against cage bars pose? I call it the 'Give me that/Let me out' pose.

Theory a) Eddie bought 3 different brands of seed treats (the type on a stick that you hang) and put them in the top tub of that black shelving.
Now Tika LOVES seed treats, but she barely touched the one we put in.
Is it possible she knew she wanted the other brand? I don't doubt she's smart, but that smart??

Theory b) My Tiel Chicken came to visit for a few days and his cage sat on top of that black shelving, could she be wondering where he is?

We're used to her doing it facing us, it nearly always means she wants what we have/we've just got home and she wants out/we've opened the pantry so OBVIOUSLY we were planning on giving her a pine nut right? It's just that she's doing it facing the wall, and she's doing it CONSTANTLY!!

And to top it off, when she's out of the cage she doesn't go anywhere near it?

Any clues??
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: All you GCC owners in here please   All you GCC owners in here please EmptyThu Jun 21, 2012 1:24 pm

It actually sounds more like female soliciting behavior from what you describe. I've had other species of birds (solo kept females) that do what you describe for hours on end. I guess the females can't rub themselves on perches like the little boys do.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: All you GCC owners in here please   All you GCC owners in here please EmptyThu Jun 21, 2012 2:20 pm

Well, I recognize it as "let me out" but I was wondering if it was the stacked stuff in the corner she wants to go burrow in, as a nesting type behavior.
Back to top Go down
o'TikaandAurora
Lovebird
o'TikaandAurora

o'Tika (Pineapple GCC)

PostSubject: Re: All you GCC owners in here please   All you GCC owners in here please EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 9:49 am

I doubt she's 'frustrated', she's got Rory in there and definitely knows how to get some.

Surely if she wanted to nest, she'd do it in the Happy Hut thingo in their cage? They sleep in it every night (if you say 'go to bed' she'll dive into it), so wouldn't she pick that as a nest?

I'm just worried she's not gonna eat properly or something while we're not here during the day. She only does it when she's in the cage.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: All you GCC owners in here please   All you GCC owners in here please EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 2:38 pm

o'TikaandAurora wrote:

Surely if she wanted to nest, she'd do it in the Happy Hut thingo in their cage? They sleep in it every night (if you say 'go to bed' she'll dive into it), so wouldn't she pick that as a nest?

Scooter has a happy hut that he loves and sleeps in at night, but he still goes mad for burrowing under paper in his playtop, or climbing into Kleenex boxes and borrowing around in there. GCC do have a propensity for burrowing...

Have you tried placing a screen between the cage and the area of interest?

What happens if you take her out and put her on the cage (same sight lines basically), does she totally ignore the area?
Back to top Go down
o'TikaandAurora
Lovebird
o'TikaandAurora

o'Tika (Pineapple GCC)

PostSubject: Re: All you GCC owners in here please   All you GCC owners in here please EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 7:57 pm

Nah she just ignores it, she's flighted and can go there if she wants, but never does. We don't want to encourage them to breed so I'd love it if they'd not go looking for nesting stuff yet. So far they just like belting each other up and eating ...
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: All you GCC owners in here please   All you GCC owners in here please EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 11:18 pm

Maybe she just wants out or wants attention and has discovered that being attentive in that direction gets a lot of attention and time out?
Back to top Go down
o'TikaandAurora
Lovebird
o'TikaandAurora

o'Tika (Pineapple GCC)

PostSubject: Re: All you GCC owners in here please   All you GCC owners in here please EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 11:37 pm

Possibly, I'm just confused cause its come on so quickly. She'll continue to do it if we ignore her aswell.
I'm tempted to give her a tissue box and some nesting material to test a theory but at the same time I don't want to encourage it?
Back to top Go down
o'TikaandAurora
Lovebird
o'TikaandAurora

o'Tika (Pineapple GCC)

PostSubject: Re: All you GCC owners in here please   All you GCC owners in here please EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 6:32 am

Yeah so I found Tika and Rory burrowing in behind the couch and under the pillows this morning, and little miss 'frustrated' is definitely getting some! A few times a day apparently.
I think someone wants babies. Unfortunately she's not getting any this year, what do we do to discourage it? I figure we should take out their sleeping tent, altho they love that so much Sad
Back to top Go down
audreyu
Budgerigar
audreyu

My Birds : Articuno - Budgie
Victor - Budgie
Loki - Yellow sided green cheek conure
KC - Timneh African Grey

PostSubject: Re: All you GCC owners in here please   All you GCC owners in here please EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 1:53 am

I took Loki to the pet store last week and showed him a wall of toys and he started FREAKING out like he wanted something on the wall, so we showed him a couple toys on there to see what he wanted. I finally just leaned over to the shelf to let him show me what it was he wanted so bad. He jumped on a price tag and chewed on it and started singing. I can't buy a price tag! Silly bird. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: All you GCC owners in here please   All you GCC owners in here please Empty

Back to top Go down

All you GCC owners in here please
Page 1 of 1