Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Any Lorie owners out there?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

My Birds : Sebastian - 7 yr old Harlequin Macaw
Arthur - 12 yr old Jardines Parrot
Pickle - 16 yr old Hahn's Macaw
Ecko - 26 yr old Hahn's Macaw

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

Any Lorie owners out there? Empty
PostSubject: Any Lorie owners out there?   Any Lorie owners out there? EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 11:13 am

The lories we have at the rescue seem to be very picky with their foods lately so we were wondering what other people feed theirs. Currently they get dry nectar powder, fresh fruits (both whole and mashed) fruit juice and lorie pellets. And lots of water.

I've been researching and considering the idea of fresh edible flowers (which apparently is good for a variety of birds, not just lories). Have you tried anything unusual that you found they loved?
Back to top Go down
http://www.voliveri.com
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Any Lorie owners out there?   Any Lorie owners out there? EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 11:52 am

When I had my pair of goldies I fed them the liquid lori food instead of the powdered stuff. And the fruit assortment.

When I had my prior mixed aviary I had hibiscus bushes, spider plants, and I can't remember what other edible plants in there. The birds ate them down to the roots.

I currently also give my birds handfuls of alfalfa hay. High in calcium. Also sprigs of fresh lavender.

I see the edible plants and alfalfa as much as enrichment as nutritional. I'm growing a hibiscus bush right now. When it gets big enough I'll trim entire branches off and give the whole branch to the birds to chew on and play with, along with any flowers.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

My Birds : Sebastian - 7 yr old Harlequin Macaw
Arthur - 12 yr old Jardines Parrot
Pickle - 16 yr old Hahn's Macaw
Ecko - 26 yr old Hahn's Macaw

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

PostSubject: Re: Any Lorie owners out there?   Any Lorie owners out there? EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 12:50 pm

thats what I am hoping to do eventually. I hear hibiscus is a favorite of theirs, so I have to look for it. Not sure if it will grow here or if I can get it potted. Will have to look around this weekend.
Back to top Go down
http://www.voliveri.com
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Any Lorie owners out there?   Any Lorie owners out there? EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 3:16 pm

We have the hibiscus growing wild on the side of the road down from the house ,i have to try it.I've been picking those giant seed pods from the Royal Poinseanna trees ,several of the zons really go crazy over them,especially Jake.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any Lorie owners out there?   Any Lorie owners out there? Empty

Back to top Go down

Any Lorie owners out there?
Page 1 of 1