Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Arthur - A history lesson

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

My Birds : ~Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure
(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

~Arthur - Red Bellied Parrot
(Hatchdate January 7, 2009, rescued October 7, 2011)

Arthur - A history lesson Empty
PostSubject: Arthur - A history lesson   Arthur - A history lesson EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 2:21 am

Hi all, just thought I would pass on some new information I learned about Arthur, that may explain the difficulties I have been having. Seemed better here that in the training posts due to the nature of the info.

I paid a visit to by local bird store, Mieka's Birdhouse, to pick up some food for Arthur, who seems lately to be throwing more of his food on the floor of his cage that what he actually eats (frustrating!).

Spoke to Ian, who runs the store with his wife, Janine. Ian advised he had learned something about Arthur recently, as he had spoke to ONE of Arthur's owners in the store the other day. To this point I thought Arthur came from the breeder to one owner, then the shelter, then to me. Turns out this information is wrong!

Apparently, the woman Ian spoke to had Arthur for a period of two weeks before placing him in the shelter. The history apparently is that Arthur was purchased from a breeder in Ontario, and sent to someone here in Edmonton who decided to use Arthur for his own breeding program here.

Apparently, Arthur was not capable of doing the job (small wonder, not exactly a love machine RogerP ), so after two years (with I am assuming no interaction at all), he was then sold to this woman as a pet (smart, right?) She apparently had him for two weeks and could not do anything with him and could not handle him (big surprise!), so she took him to the shelter, where he ended up with me after three weeks there.

This doesn't solve my problems with Arthur, but it does lend a great deal of insight into why he is the way he is, with little or no interaction for the bulk of his life before me.

By the way (though this part should probably go under the training and taming section), Arthur now will regularly come out of the cage (sometimes begs to!) and will let almost anyone give him scritches, either on the arm of the couch, or while on my arm, with little or no attempt to bite, even on his wings and under his chin. Still no luck in the "step up" on my hand department, but at least he doesn't react like we are coming to kill him anymore. He simply steps off my arm if I move it.

I really wish I could get him away from his cage, because I think he would be more sociable away from it, but I don't think I am willing to risk the progress I have made to push the envelope. I am afraid if I try to move him, I will go back to square one again, and I don't think my heart could take that.

Any thoughts, oh wise residents of Paradise? Should I push, or leave things to progress at his pace?
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Arthur - A history lesson   Arthur - A history lesson EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 2:37 pm

I think you should honor your instincts. It seems to be working, albeit slowly.

Yes, that background sure explains a lot!
Back to top Go down
BratBirds
Parrotlet
BratBirds

My Birds : Timneh African Grey-Peanut
Sun Conure-Skittles
Tiel-Mariah

PostSubject: Re: Arthur - A history lesson   Arthur - A history lesson EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 12:21 am

Better a slow increase in trust than a back step into fear.
Back to top Go down
crystalsbirdtoys
Senegal
crystalsbirdtoys

My Birds : African Grey - Merlin
Caique - Rosco
Cockatiel - Stryder

PostSubject: Re: Arthur - A history lesson   Arthur - A history lesson EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 10:18 am

I would definitely work at a slow pace - working too quickly may hinder any trust you've earned already.

I do concur that finding out more about his past definitely explains why it has taken so long to get him to the point he is at already though.

I had one friend who rescued a Ringneck who had never been out of its cage (in 5 years) and his owner used to hit him with a stick when he made noise. So MAJOR trust issues. She had him for 3 or 4 years, and was cleaning his cage when he stepped onto her hand...she pulled her hand out of the cage with the Ringneck still on it...from that day forward he came out with her every day & became a snuggle bug. This is an extreme story, but true!

Arthur just needs to have that "Eureka" moment.
Back to top Go down
http://www.crystalsbirdtoys.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Arthur - A history lesson   Arthur - A history lesson Empty

Back to top Go down

Arthur - A history lesson
Page 1 of 1