Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Plucking and Pellets

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

Plucking and Pellets Empty
PostSubject: Plucking and Pellets   Plucking and Pellets EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 1:29 am

So, I have a dirty little secret that I'm ready to fess up to -

Xavier the IRN's been a severely naked little plucker for at least the last two years.

As some of you know, I started a new job about four months ago. I ran out of pellets shortly after starting my job and I'll fess up to being a bad parront - I haven't gotten around to getting more pellets.

Guess what - Xavier's almost 100% feathered up again. The ONLY change has been no pellets in his diet.

Over the last two years I've tried the following with him to stop the plucking, none of which worked:
- Cage free living (he's been cage free for at least 1.5 yrs)
- More baths, less baths, "soothing" misting products
- More attention
- Less attention
- Set him up for breeding (absolutely zero interest in a mate)
- Smaller cage, larger cage
- More foraging
- Different brands of pellets (Including Harrison's as it's all organic)
- More toys
- Sleeping in my room (in a cage and at liberty)
- Moving his cage and/or stand around the house (living in a cage or at liberty)
- E-collar
- Sock sweater
- Homemade "plucking activity necklace" (basically a beaded, ruffled collar for him to pluck and preen instead of himself)
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

My Birds : ~Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure
(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

~Arthur - Red Bellied Parrot
(Hatchdate January 7, 2009, rescued October 7, 2011)

PostSubject: Re: Plucking and Pellets   Plucking and Pellets EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 3:34 am

Are you saying that the pellets may have been the cause of the plucking? scratch
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Plucking and Pellets   Plucking and Pellets EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 4:55 am

Interesting,what are your thoughts on that??
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Plucking and Pellets   Plucking and Pellets EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 12:38 pm

RogerP wrote:
Are you saying that the pellets may have been the cause of the plucking? scratch

henpecked wrote:
Interesting,what are your thoughts on that??

Apparently he doesn't do well with processed foods - organic or otherwise.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Plucking and Pellets   Plucking and Pellets EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 1:04 pm

I would guess it is a specific common ingredient, not the fact that it is processed, personally. Can you identify an ingredient in the pellets that isn't in the "whole food" diet?

Horses often have allergies to specific grains, and they often trigger skin-based reactions. I wonder if birds can have similar issues. Mild inflammation from an allergic process could trigger plucking, I'd guess, without being obvious under all those feathers. Suggests dietary trials with a plucker might be something to try. Interesting.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Plucking and Pellets   Plucking and Pellets EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 1:55 pm

ScooterNScotty wrote:
I would guess it is a specific common ingredient, not the fact that it is processed, personally. Can you identify an ingredient in the pellets that isn't in the "whole food" diet?
I'll have to go through the list of pellets he's been on over the years and try to determine. I suspect the common ingredient may be corn. I don't think there's corn in the seed mix he's currently eating.

ScooterNScotty wrote:
Horses often have allergies to specific grains, and they often trigger skin-based reactions. I wonder if birds can have similar issues. Mild inflammation from an allergic process could trigger plucking, I'd guess, without being obvious under all those feathers. Suggests dietary trials with a plucker might be something to try. Interesting.
Same with dogs. I used to have a dog with allergies so bad she'd scratch herself bloody. She was on regular steroid shots which I was not thrilled about. After getting her on a meat based, lamb and rice formula with minimal (none at all? can't remember) grain, her skin condition pretty much completely cleared up.

I see the Beneful commercials and cringe. When did "filler" become healthy for dogs?
Back to top Go down
BratBirds
Parrotlet
BratBirds

My Birds : Timneh African Grey-Peanut
Sun Conure-Skittles
Tiel-Mariah

PostSubject: Re: Plucking and Pellets   Plucking and Pellets EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 10:24 pm

I am so glad you found what the problem was. Can you make sure he has a well rounded healthy diet without the pellets - I assume you can LOL. Then go for it - no more pellets for Xavier!! You must feel like a weight has been lifted.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Plucking and Pellets   Plucking and Pellets Empty

Back to top Go down

Plucking and Pellets
Page 1 of 1