Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My crazy cage aggressive Quaker

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Rockysmommy
Budgerigar
Rockysmommy

My Birds : I have a 3 year old Quaker Parrot DNA tested Male

My crazy cage aggressive Quaker Empty
PostSubject: My crazy cage aggressive Quaker   My crazy cage aggressive Quaker EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 6:49 am

I have a 3 year old Quaker that I am slowly trying to gain his trust, I have had him for a year and when I got him, he was a really bad "Plucker" and he no longer is with a lot affection and love, I can get him out of his cage as long as I have a towel around my hand and arm so he wont bite me, once he is out of his cage he is perfectly sweet and fine! I need to know how can I start to break him of being so cage aggressive. It's starting to make me nervous.
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

My Birds : ~Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure
(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

~Arthur - Red Bellied Parrot
(Hatchdate January 7, 2009, rescued October 7, 2011)

PostSubject: Re: My crazy cage aggressive Quaker   My crazy cage aggressive Quaker EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 2:44 am

If he is aggressive only while in the cage, try letting him come out of the cage on his own and then interact with him. You could try moving things around in his cage to "shake up" his home a bit, or try moving him to a travel or smaller cage occasionally, just to keep him guessing. He may become less territorial if he is not sure which "home" is his. You could also try target training while in the cage and get him to "target" onto your arm.

Sorry I don't have any more ideas, I have a rather fear-aggressive and hand-shy fid of my own that I am working with, with limited success with all the above methods. It's been up and down for over a year now. Right now we are in a down phase.

There are some great resources here that may be able to help you, as they have far more experience with rehabilitating birds than I have. We just need to get them to chime in.

Roz? Vikki? VickiNumbers? Richard? Anybody out there? Need some advice here!
Back to top Go down
Rockysmommy
Budgerigar
Rockysmommy

My Birds : I have a 3 year old Quaker Parrot DNA tested Male

PostSubject: Re: My crazy cage aggressive Quaker   My crazy cage aggressive Quaker EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 2:51 am

I will try it, he is a sweet boy, until you go to his cage, he is fine if I move things around, take his toys, food dish, water dish, and everything out to clean and sanitize it, but when it comes to him coming out he gets so mean! I will open his cage doors and he will turn around and close them and start screaming at me, like How dare you open my cage! When I take him in to another room though he is 100% fine... It's just sad because I know he wants to be loved, he talks, blows kisses, and when left alone for 15 minutes will start saying "Come here" when you walk over to him he starts talking up a storm. I just dont understand my crazy boy!
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: My crazy cage aggressive Quaker   My crazy cage aggressive Quaker EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 10:40 am

Quakers are the only parrot that builds a nest, the rest search out tree cavities for nest. So your Quaker sees his cage as sort of a nest and defends it. Quakers keep their nest all year round and roost there every night, very different from your average parrot. Maybe providing him a card board box to play "nesty" in will move his defensiveness to somewhere else but you'll still have the same issues. The answer is to become his "mate" then you'll be welcome . He's fine with you as a friend but he doesn't see you as his mate. he's not "bonded" to you. I would suggest learning to "preen" his feathers.Something only a trusted mate would be allowed to do.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: My crazy cage aggressive Quaker   My crazy cage aggressive Quaker EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 6:11 pm

You could try target training him, I haven't done this with birds, but I know people do. I've played with it with horses. The idea is that you use treats to reinforce them for following a "target" around. It can be anything that's handy to put in between the cage bars and is recognizable -- some people say they use chopsticks with a bit of bright tape at the end. Once he will follow it around inside the cage, you could use it to draw him outside for further interaction. Might be worth a shot, anyway!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My crazy cage aggressive Quaker   My crazy cage aggressive Quaker Empty

Back to top Go down

My crazy cage aggressive Quaker
Page 1 of 1