Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I don't think these acrylic cages are okay..

Go down 
+6
moa
atlanon
Vikki
zazanomore
Margaret
GlassOnion
10 posters
AuthorMessage
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

I don't think these acrylic cages are okay.. Empty
PostSubject: I don't think these acrylic cages are okay..   I don't think these acrylic cages are okay.. EmptySat May 28, 2011 5:30 am

Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: I don't think these acrylic cages are okay..   I don't think these acrylic cages are okay.. EmptySat May 28, 2011 5:41 am

Hm, personally I think old-fashion cages are Ok.

In acrylic with the time you can see every scratch(even if you won't make one, your parrot may)
Plus birds are messy, in that surface, you can see every single poo. Not that I'm not aware, that old-fashion cages should be cleaned Wink
I don't know about ventilation, hard to say, but prize factor is no, no for me. I pref fer to spend extra money for new parrot Crazy
Glass, you're not early bird too. I thought I'm alone here Cool
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: I don't think these acrylic cages are okay..   I don't think these acrylic cages are okay.. EmptySat May 28, 2011 10:59 am

My first problem when looking at it, is that the birds can't walk up the walls or hang off the ceiling.

My birds would die in that.
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

My Birds : Sebastian - 7 yr old Harlequin Macaw
Arthur - 12 yr old Jardines Parrot
Pickle - 16 yr old Hahn's Macaw
Ecko - 26 yr old Hahn's Macaw

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

PostSubject: Re: I don't think these acrylic cages are okay..   I don't think these acrylic cages are okay.. EmptySat May 28, 2011 12:02 pm

Acrylic is REALLY hard to clean. As Margaret mentioned, it scratches easily and even then, once you start to clean it with any type of cleaner or soap, it gets cloudy and nasty looking. They do have special acrylic cleaner that return it to its natural crystal appearance, but the chemicals are caustic and not healthy at all for birds. Something like this may be fine for a carrier, to use in short bursts, but my guys would hate it too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.voliveri.com
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

My Birds : Yoshi - SI Eclectus

PostSubject: Re: I don't think these acrylic cages are okay..   I don't think these acrylic cages are okay.. EmptySat May 28, 2011 1:07 pm

That thing is supposed to HELP mess?? I cringe just thinking about cleaning that thing. Besides that, they're suggesting you can keep a Grey in 24x19x20? Crazies. flappinhappy
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/lyzgrace
moa
Sun Conure
moa

My Birds : Rainbow and the unnamed gcc

PostSubject: Re: I don't think these acrylic cages are okay..   I don't think these acrylic cages are okay.. EmptySat May 28, 2011 2:49 pm

Quote :
My first problem when looking at it, is that the birds can't walk up the walls or hang off the ceiling.

My birds would die in that.

same here! plus- where do you hang toys and attach perches? I've seen some pretty nice acrylic cages online where they're a combination between acrylic and wire/bars and aviary-sized but there's still the problem of cleaning thinking
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I don't think these acrylic cages are okay..   I don't think these acrylic cages are okay.. EmptySat May 28, 2011 3:08 pm

I tihnk they look hot, stuffy, and miserable. Poor birdies who are made to live in them. :|
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: I don't think these acrylic cages are okay..   I don't think these acrylic cages are okay.. EmptySat May 28, 2011 11:49 pm

Crap! If you don't like it, don't get a bird!
If you don't enjoy Shop Vacs, don't get a bird!

Unfortunately, I think acrylic cages cater to people who have a lot of money who primarily want a pretty exotic bird as an accessory.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
Set
Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: I don't think these acrylic cages are okay..   I don't think these acrylic cages are okay.. EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 5:02 am

It reminds me of a fish tank. Somewhere you put something pretty to look at but not to touch. Not very parrot friendly.

And I agree about climbing. One of my budgies has taken to clinging to the side of the cage for nap time (just ignoring all the nice expensive perches that I bought for this reason of course; the cage is much more comfy). Without the ability to really put in toys or perches, they wouldn't be able to climb at all.

And I'm wondering if putting smaller birds in the larger cage would end with them flying into it like a window?
Back to top Go down
Jan
Parrotlet
Jan

My Birds : Sputnik - Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: I don't think these acrylic cages are okay..   I don't think these acrylic cages are okay.. EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 2:43 pm

Yuck! Those look so sterile and inhospitable. And like what has been already mentioned, where do you put toys and perches? So not good for birdie feet to have only one size of perch too. I wonder if the acrylic muffles birdie noises too?

As for mess and poop, I don't get why people think birds shouldn't make either! It's a whole lot nicer to clean up bird poop than pick up dog doo, as far as I'm concerned.

I've seen the part acrylic and part bar cages, and they seem to be pretty good as most of the acrylic is at the bottom. Or one could invest in those sleeve thingies - I've never used one - do they work?

I'm all for being proactive in managing mess, but I think the full acrylic cages are too much.

My Hand Vac has been an absolute lifesaver.... will never be without it! : )
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: I don't think these acrylic cages are okay..   I don't think these acrylic cages are okay.. EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 3:32 pm

I agree. However, I do have an acrylic carrier, the Paradise Perch & Go, and I like it. But it's not meant for full time use, it has wire insets front and back and it has holes everywhere.
Back to top Go down
moa
Sun Conure
moa

My Birds : Rainbow and the unnamed gcc

PostSubject: Re: I don't think these acrylic cages are okay..   I don't think these acrylic cages are okay.. EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 10:30 pm

Jan wrote:

As for mess and poop, I don't get why people think birds shouldn't make either! It's a whole lot nicer to clean up bird poop than pick up dog doo, as far as I'm concerned.
ha, yes I've always thought this! I don't like how smelly dog poo is... Razz
Back to top Go down
Jan
Parrotlet
Jan

My Birds : Sputnik - Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: I don't think these acrylic cages are okay..   I don't think these acrylic cages are okay.. EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 1:32 am

moa wrote:
Jan wrote:

ha, yes I've always thought this! I don't like how smelly dog poo is... Razz

LOL I'm not a fan of the squishy warmth I feel thru the bag!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I don't think these acrylic cages are okay..   I don't think these acrylic cages are okay.. Empty

Back to top Go down

I don't think these acrylic cages are okay..
Page 1 of 1