Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Experience with Breeders

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

Experience with Breeders Empty
PostSubject: Experience with Breeders   Experience with Breeders EmptyThu May 19, 2011 1:09 am

So for those of you who've dealt with a parrot breeder, whether or not you bought a bird, what did you like about the experience? What did you not like?
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Experience with Breeders   Experience with Breeders EmptyThu May 19, 2011 1:34 am

Even though I still don't have my very own baby, I have dealt with a couple of breeders. When I initially was going to add my third bird, it was going to be a cockatiel. I wanted a very specific mutation, though. The breeder didn't currently have what I was looking for available, so I ended up being placed on a waiting list for when she does.

I like the fact that she's very friendly and has been doing this for about twenty years. Her experience makes me feel a lot better about getting a bird from her. I don't like the fact that the babies spend a lot of days in her store which is open to and welcomes public birds. Right now, she's got a Giardia problem with some of the breeders which kind of puts me off from getting a bird from her.
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Experience with Breeders   Experience with Breeders EmptyThu May 19, 2011 7:20 am

I think the fact that they specialize in that bird and know so much about them, where as the pet store you might get more general info.I can't knock pet stores though, there's one down the road that i sell amazons babies too on consignment, i can switch them out or bring them back home, i do have some control over the situation. The best part is the babies get socialized so well , they keep them out on a perch where people can interact with them and it's great.They don't sell very many but i still like to send the birds to school.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Experience with Breeders   Experience with Breeders EmptyThu May 19, 2011 9:07 am

I've talked to a couple breeders shopping around for a GCC over the last year or so. Finally found one I felt I clicked with. She was honest, not pushy, and completely open to whatever I asked and gave experienced and realistic answers. I've annoyed the tar out of her the last 2 weeks I am sure.

I was in contact with another breeder for a lovebird, they are very well respected around here. They are pretty snooty and uppity, and I really don't like the guy, but they have beautiful, well socialized birds that are worth dealing with the breeders for. I recently turned down an offer on a baby creamino, having Kokomo is all the lovebird I can handle. I was on their waiting list for a long time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Experience with Breeders   Experience with Breeders Empty

Back to top Go down

Experience with Breeders
Page 1 of 1