Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Species similar to an Amazon?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

Species similar to an Amazon? Empty
PostSubject: Species similar to an Amazon?   Species similar to an Amazon? EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 1:43 am

Are there any other species that show similar characteristics to an Amazon?
I do remember reading that Jardine's were the "African Amazons" but after meeting one in person.. I'm not so sure if it's what I thought an Amazon would be like.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Species similar to an Amazon?   Species similar to an Amazon? EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 2:41 am

What characteristics are you looking for? And what's wrong with an actual Amazon?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Species similar to an Amazon?   Species similar to an Amazon? EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 8:46 am

I've only met one Jardines. He was AWESOME. You could tell he had that famous stubborn streak but it was easily worked with.

S&S, I doubt Anita thinks there is anything wrong with Amazons. To me, after doing research, a Jardines would fit my lifestyle better. They have appealing similar traits. But on the unappealing side, the Jardines was more of what I was looking for.

I can't speak for Anita, but when I look for birds to add to my flock I know what traits I want in a bird and start looking for birds that fit, so to speak. Obviously I know nothing is a given and all parrots are unique. I think this is what she is doing.

Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Species similar to an Amazon?   Species similar to an Amazon? EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 2:08 pm

You really need to meet several individuals of a species before you can draw any conclusions. I've met mean, nasty tame cockatoos - not what's typically expected from a too. CAGs that are outgoing towards strangers - not what's typically expected of greys.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Species similar to an Amazon?   Species similar to an Amazon? EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 3:16 pm

Julie, you can read my mind.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Species similar to an Amazon?   Species similar to an Amazon? EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 3:30 pm

Yes, but my point was that we seem to be trying to find a species that is like an Amazon but not, so I want to know what Anita is looking for and what she's not excited about in Amazons.

I think Jardines are pretty cool. We almost bought one when we were in the visiting bird stores and looking at birds but not in the market mode. I'd actually started calling him "Buckbeak". Got my first bird bite from him.... then where we got Scotty they had a juvenile Jardine's with a messed up foot that they asked me to hold for a while. She was very sweet and also almost came home with us. I don't know a lot about them except that they are supposed to be similar in temperament to the other smaller Pois.

Amazons I don't know that well either. Sake was so bonded to his mistress that he only let the rest of us handle him on sufferance. He allowed it, but one always felt a bit looked down upon. He was a small Amazon, white-fronted I think. We looked at a couple of larger 'zons when we were hunting around, and the main impression I had was that they were much slower and more deliberate about everything than some other species. I got the sense they'd take some winning over. But mostly we waited until we found an actual bird that we clicked with. We approached it more like buying a horse than most people seem to approach buying a bird -- we were seeking an individual, not a species. Of course with babies, birds or horses, you do wind up choosing a breed and breeder and hoping you can shape a match.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Species similar to an Amazon?   Species similar to an Amazon? EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 4:39 pm

My perfect bird in theory would be an Amazon + Macaw hybrid with quieter vocalizations.
I like EXPRESSIVE animals, that's why I love dogs. That's why I love the Macaw group. I also like strong personalities, I don't do well with Cat-type temperaments. I really don't feel anything between me and a cat.
What I love about the Amazons is their definite body language and their theatrical flair. They can sing! I like fun!

After meeting a few of the Pois, they remind me of cats, I don't know if that's what I want. I loved the Conures I've met.
Vikki mentioned in a post while back that she loved her Macaw over her Jardine's because he was so humanly expressive.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Species similar to an Amazon?   Species similar to an Amazon? EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 4:47 pm

You should get a green cheek, I'm telling you, they are freakin' awesome. Or a Quaker Smile
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Species similar to an Amazon?   Species similar to an Amazon? EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 4:50 pm

How expressive are Quakers?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Species similar to an Amazon?   Species similar to an Amazon? EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 5:00 pm

Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Species similar to an Amazon?   Species similar to an Amazon? EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 5:23 pm

Roz So funny!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Species similar to an Amazon?   Species similar to an Amazon? Empty

Back to top Go down

Species similar to an Amazon?
Page 1 of 1