Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Getting a Baby- want to do it right!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Getting a Baby- want to do it right! Empty
PostSubject: Getting a Baby- want to do it right!   Getting a Baby- want to do it right! EmptyThu May 19, 2011 8:48 am

This weekend I am meeting a breeder to see her baby Green Cheeks. She will also have Quakers (God help meeeee!!) so I am expecting to pick out a baby. Depending on which clutch I choose from depends on the day I get to bring it home. She has some newly weaned babies but I am placing an order on a cage tonight (nicer and bigger then what I have) so I probably need a few weeks anyways.

What is your best advice for a baby bird? I want a well socialized, adaptable lil fid and I don't want a velcro screamer. I think I over indulged my jenday foster years ago and made his problem worse. I think I loved him too much? Tried to make up for his shitty life before me?

I am super excited guys. I can't wait!
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Baby- want to do it right!   Getting a Baby- want to do it right! EmptyThu May 19, 2011 8:52 am

I haven't had the joy of bringing a baby bird home, but I would go in and handle all the babies she has available and see which one feels like a fit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Baby- want to do it right!   Getting a Baby- want to do it right! EmptyThu May 19, 2011 8:57 am

Oh yes, for sure. Over the years my "best" birds are the ones that picked me, so I am very much hoping to be picked! Quakers and GCCs? Might as well be in Heaven!
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Baby- want to do it right!   Getting a Baby- want to do it right! EmptyThu May 19, 2011 9:00 am

Right now, I'm wishing my birds would pick to go back to sleep! Cheney Bird broke out of his cage when I turned the light on at 1 a.m. last night and decided it was the appropriate time to cuddle. I, of course, couldn't refuse and let him hang out with me until about 3.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Baby- want to do it right!   Getting a Baby- want to do it right! EmptyThu May 19, 2011 9:02 am

Aww Cheney is to blame for my GCC obsession. I went from knowing I really wanted one to having to have one NOW because of him!
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Baby- want to do it right!   Getting a Baby- want to do it right! EmptyThu May 19, 2011 9:04 am

I'm really happy I got him. He's such a joy to have around and taking him out is so funny. My boyfriend is jealous that the birds get more attention than he does. Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Baby- want to do it right!   Getting a Baby- want to do it right! EmptyThu May 19, 2011 9:08 am

The ladies at the bank LOVE when I bring Juniper in the car, they make such a fuss over her, Juniper knows she is a Queen.
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Baby- want to do it right!   Getting a Baby- want to do it right! EmptyThu May 19, 2011 9:12 am

Julsiebean wrote:
The ladies at the bank LOVE when I bring Juniper in the car, they make such a fuss over her, Juniper knows she is a Queen.

That is SO how I felt when I took him to the farmer's market. Everyone loved him. Every stand I went to gave him some kind of food, most he won't eat if he's at home. Some stands even gave discounts on the items I bought that were for him! I got a half pound of dried papaya slices for $2.35, almost half off!

The only funny thing about Cheney Bird is that he doesn't like things flying over him. The budgies are doing their morning laps between windows now and he's hiding on the keyboard tray under the desk.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Baby- want to do it right!   Getting a Baby- want to do it right! EmptyThu May 19, 2011 9:21 am

Do the budgies drive him crazy? Years ago I had two and they annoyed the fire out of my cockatiels.

Kokomo is on my head. She loves it there and bites me if I try to get her off!
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Baby- want to do it right!   Getting a Baby- want to do it right! EmptyThu May 19, 2011 9:37 am

Julsiebean wrote:
Do the budgies drive him crazy? Years ago I had two and they annoyed the fire out of my cockatiels.

Kokomo is on my head. She loves it there and bites me if I try to get her off!

Oh no, he loves them. Even though their cage doors are always open during the day, most times all three of them are together in the same cage. Pigpen and Cheney Bird are actually sharing a food dish right now. Pigpen will even try to preen him after bath time if No Name has no interest.
Back to top Go down
MandaDPanda
Indian Ringneck
MandaDPanda

My Birds : Aries - Sun Conure Smile

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Baby- want to do it right!   Getting a Baby- want to do it right! EmptyThu May 19, 2011 10:56 am

This thread is not good for me. I want more birds so bad right now and my husband keeps saying we need to get Aries a friend. GAAAAAAAAAH!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Baby- want to do it right!   Getting a Baby- want to do it right! EmptyThu May 19, 2011 10:57 am

MandaDPanda wrote:
This thread is not good for me. I want more birds so bad right now and my husband keeps saying we need to get Aries a friend. GAAAAAAAAAH!

Baby baby baby baby baby!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Baby- want to do it right!   Getting a Baby- want to do it right! EmptyThu May 19, 2011 11:01 am

MandaDPanda wrote:

Do it, do it!
Back to top Go down
MandaDPanda
Indian Ringneck
MandaDPanda

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Baby- want to do it right!   Getting a Baby- want to do it right! EmptyThu May 19, 2011 11:01 am

AAAAAAAH! LOL

If we get a baby bird...then maybe I'll stop wanting human babies. LOL Goodness. I'm a mess! LOL
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Baby- want to do it right!   Getting a Baby- want to do it right! EmptyThu May 19, 2011 11:03 am

MandaDPanda wrote:
AAAAAAAH! LOL

If we get a baby bird...then maybe I'll stop wanting human babies. LOL Goodness. I'm a mess! LOL

I wanted human babies until I got my birds. Now I'll just take more birds!

Just kidding, I'd still like to produce totally awesome progeny with my boyfriend.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Baby- want to do it right!   Getting a Baby- want to do it right! EmptyThu May 19, 2011 11:03 am

Meh, human kids aren't what they cracked up to be, I have to of 'em. Parrots > Kids.
Back to top Go down
MandaDPanda
Indian Ringneck
MandaDPanda

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Baby- want to do it right!   Getting a Baby- want to do it right! EmptyThu May 19, 2011 11:09 am

LOL seriously though...having the baby itch...and the new birdie itch at the same time is horrible. Shocked
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Baby- want to do it right!   Getting a Baby- want to do it right! EmptyThu May 19, 2011 11:10 am

Julsiebean wrote:
Meh, human kids aren't what they cracked up to be, I have to of 'em. Parrots > Kids.

LOL. My boyfriend can raise the kids. I'll stick with the birds.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Baby- want to do it right!   Getting a Baby- want to do it right! EmptyThu May 19, 2011 2:55 pm

Hey!! My kid's great!! Then again, she grew up in a birdcage instead of a crib.

Get Aries a friend! Suns are so social. I couldn't imagine keeping a lonely only. Two aratingas though. . . that would be a noise nightmare. I've always had mine w/ tiel companions.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
MandaDPanda
Indian Ringneck
MandaDPanda

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Baby- want to do it right!   Getting a Baby- want to do it right! EmptyThu May 19, 2011 3:15 pm

And that's why we want to get him a friend. I'm home most of the day and he's out and with us...but I know he needs a birdy buddy too...just which to get and all that crazyness. Oh I'd love another Sun...
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Baby- want to do it right!   Getting a Baby- want to do it right! EmptyThu May 19, 2011 3:18 pm

Maybe you have the magic to keep two of them reasonably "quiet". I know and love them, but can't imagine having more than one as a pet. Some people like keeping multiples of one species, I find it easier for me to keep up with multiple birds if they're different species.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
Jayebird
Budgerigar
Jayebird

My Birds : Mango - GCC

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Baby- want to do it right!   Getting a Baby- want to do it right! EmptyThu May 19, 2011 3:25 pm

I haven't got baby advice because Mango pretty much chose us from our reputable local family-owned pet store (who only buy from hand-feeding and hand-rearing breeders) buuuuuuuut that sounds like so much fun and I can't wait to hear how it goes!
Back to top Go down
http://www.jayebird.com
MandaDPanda
Indian Ringneck
MandaDPanda

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Baby- want to do it right!   Getting a Baby- want to do it right! EmptyThu May 19, 2011 3:27 pm

I don't think I'll have a flock of Suns until we're in our own house. I just need to decide which bird would be a good buddy for Aries...and then find either a good rescue group or a good breeder. *hint hint*

You guys are so bad for me...I'll end up with tons of birds if I'm not careful.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Baby- want to do it right!   Getting a Baby- want to do it right! EmptyThu May 19, 2011 4:53 pm

I hate babies and children. EEEEEEK! *hides behind couch*

Baby animals on the other hand.... Wink

Good luck in finding the perfect baby. If I were you, I'd wanna sneak one in my purse, one in my pocket, one in my waterbottle, one under my hat, etc etc
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Baby- want to do it right!   Getting a Baby- want to do it right! EmptyThu May 19, 2011 4:59 pm

My Jenday did amazing with my cockatiels. Those 3 were peas and carrots. He wore the pants and they didn't mind. It was nothing to walk in and see both cockatiels preening him happily, I swear you could hear him saying ahhh this is the life!

My kids are awesome, but they get in the way of my parrots LOL!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting a Baby- want to do it right!   Getting a Baby- want to do it right! Empty

Back to top Go down

Getting a Baby- want to do it right!
Page 1 of 1