Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What floor in a bird room?

Go down 
+3
zazanomore
Nevermore
Margaret
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

What floor in a bird room? Empty
PostSubject: What floor in a bird room?   What floor in a bird room? EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 4:16 am

As you all know, my fids get their own room. They come out their room when they want, and go back when they want or when I force them, if it's getting late-mostly princess Chico now:)
I want to put something to protect that room's floor. What would you put: laminated floor or carpet?
Back to top Go down
Nevermore
Cockatiel

My Birds : Captain Jack Parrot: Green-cheeked Conure

Cheeky/Sir Cheeks - Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: What floor in a bird room?   What floor in a bird room? EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 6:19 am

I use shower curtains from the dollar store, or table clothes. the plastic kind that can be rolled up and thrown out.
Back to top Go down
Nevermore
Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: What floor in a bird room?   What floor in a bird room? EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 6:20 am

But if you're changing the entire floor itself.... Do NOT use carpet. Anything but carpet.
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

PostSubject: Re: What floor in a bird room?   What floor in a bird room? EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 7:08 am

Budgies not, but Chico is chewing ticker plastic under my computer chair, so I guess dollar store shower curtains won't last long. I had them in the previous apt., where I have budgies and yes, they work.
In the room there is original carpet, which I'm not expecting to be perfect, but I consider future Amazon...
Back to top Go down
Nevermore
Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: What floor in a bird room?   What floor in a bird room? EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 7:10 am

When picking a floor, think of it this way. Which would be easier to clean up, after having a bird dump its waterbowl on the floor, then poo on it.

Hard floor, or carpet?

Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

PostSubject: Re: What floor in a bird room?   What floor in a bird room? EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 7:18 am

Make sense, thanks Thanks
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What floor in a bird room?   What floor in a bird room? EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 8:24 am

Contact local constuction sites and flooring places for extra/leftover laminate scraps. Or computer clear matts!
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: What floor in a bird room?   What floor in a bird room? EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 6:41 pm

How about those hard plastic floor thingy's people use around their office desks? I don't know what they are called, are where to get them...does anyone know what I am talking about?
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: What floor in a bird room?   What floor in a bird room? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 3:20 am

zazanomore wrote:
How about those hard plastic floor thingy's people use around their office desks? I don't know what they are called, are where to get them...does anyone know what I am talking about?

I know exactly what you're talking about... I call them those hard plastic floor thingy's that people use around desks to roll chairs on. Laughing And you can get them at any office supply store, or places like Sam's or Costco probably.

We've got wood laminate on our floors and it's the easiest thing in the world the clean up. They poop or dump their dish, I just run a mop over it or a paper towel... no big deal. It's almost indestructible. (My son and husband have found ways, but my dogs and birds haven't.)

Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

PostSubject: Re: What floor in a bird room?   What floor in a bird room? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 4:13 am

VickiNumbers wrote:

I know exactly what you're talking about... I call them those hard plastic floor thingy's that people use around desks to roll chairs on. Laughing And you can get them at any office supply store, or places like Sam's or Costco probably.

We've got wood laminate on our floors and it's the easiest thing in the world the clean up. They poop or dump their dish, I just run a mop over it or a paper towel... no big deal.
I'm gonna go for laminated wood like probably, because it cost cheaper from those thick plastic under roll chairs. But thanks!
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: What floor in a bird room?   What floor in a bird room? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 8:52 am

I have made "pans " for my cages from scrapes left over from landscape ponds and roofing material,these rubber/plastic sheets can be "welded or glued to gether and work well if you add a short (2/3 inch) side.I make them larger than the cage to catch scrapes and poop ,and can be lined with paper or simply rolled up and carried outside to be hosed off.If you know anyone in the landscape or roofing business ask them if they can save scrapes and help you put them together.Josie and i have put down vinyl flooring ,even up on the walls ,and it makes clean up much easier,anything is better than carpet.
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

My Birds : Sebastian - 7 yr old Harlequin Macaw
Arthur - 12 yr old Jardines Parrot
Pickle - 16 yr old Hahn's Macaw
Ecko - 26 yr old Hahn's Macaw

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

PostSubject: Re: What floor in a bird room?   What floor in a bird room? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 1:02 pm

Never carpet. Go for laminate. Vinyl flooring works well too because you can pretty much hose it down and not worry about warping like you would with some wood laminates.
Back to top Go down
http://www.voliveri.com
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

PostSubject: Re: What floor in a bird room?   What floor in a bird room? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 6:17 pm

THANKS EVERYBODY Thanks

I was considering carpet as a noise barrier, but I will find another solution there, some thick material under floor will do. I saw something in Menards and Lowes, so I'll chose something to keep peace with office downstairs Wink
Back to top Go down
crystalsbirdtoys
Senegal
crystalsbirdtoys

My Birds : African Grey - Merlin
Caique - Rosco
Cockatiel - Stryder

PostSubject: Re: What floor in a bird room?   What floor in a bird room? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 10:27 pm

We have acrylic under & in front of our fids cages - makes clean up that much easier Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.crystalsbirdtoys.com
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

PostSubject: Re: What floor in a bird room?   What floor in a bird room? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 10:39 pm

crystalsbirdtoys wrote:
We have acrylic under & in front of our fids cages - makes clean up that much easier Very Happy
That's a good idea to consider too. I was thinking about acrylic in the future as a noise barrier for a window. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What floor in a bird room?   What floor in a bird room? Empty

Back to top Go down

What floor in a bird room?
Page 1 of 1