Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Quaker parrot legality

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

My Birds : Yoshi - SI Eclectus

Quaker parrot legality Empty
PostSubject: Quaker parrot legality   Quaker parrot legality EmptyThu May 19, 2011 3:01 pm

So months ago when I decided I wanted a bird and had no idea what kind I came across the Quaker and it was quickly dismissed. Not because of anything I read about the breed, but because I found out they're illegal to own in both Georgia and Pennsylvania. After getting around on some of these forums, though, they seem to be EVERYWHERE!! Now I know if I were drop dead in love with a quaker I'd more likely than not find a way to get myself one, especially with how little action I'm sure anybody could take on you having an illegal pet (though I would be much less willing to take it out and about with me, I'm sure). Back in PA my mom got a couple of sugar gliders before finding out they were illegal. NBD.

I'm just curious how well-known it is that Quaker ownership is illegal in a lot of states. And is there a comprehensive list of states that they're okay in?

**EDIT**
So after posting I decided to do a little research myself and found this...
http://www.quakerparrots.com/general/why-quaker-parrot-laws/
So I guess it's not as many states as I thought. Figures that the only two states I'll ever live in are on the list, though!!

Last edited by LyzGrace on Thu May 19, 2011 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/lyzgrace
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Quaker parrot legality   Quaker parrot legality EmptyThu May 19, 2011 3:10 pm

Never, ever smuggle an animal into a state that's not legal (head nodding up and down) like a ferret into California. Don't even think about seeing if that well ventilated carrier fits under the seat or checking to see which routes into the state don't have agricultural check points. . .
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Quaker parrot legality   Quaker parrot legality EmptyThu May 19, 2011 3:11 pm

Quaker Parrots are currently illegal in ten states: California, Pennsylvania, Georgia, Tennessee, Connecticut, Hawaii, Kansas, Kentucky, Rhode Island, and Wyoming. Many states will euthanize these birds if they are found in the state, particularly Kansas.

Many, many people know these birds are illegal. I actually submitted a question about it to the Probe at the Imperial Valley Press (http://www.ivpressonline.com) that was answered a week or so back.

These birds are classified as dangerous, invasive species because it is believed that they will destroy acres of crops. Other states that classify them as dangerous pets require strict ownership laws. New Jersey is an example.
Back to top Go down
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

PostSubject: Re: Quaker parrot legality   Quaker parrot legality EmptyThu May 19, 2011 3:13 pm

patdbunny wrote:
Never, ever smuggle an animal into a state that's not legal (head nodding up and down) like a ferret into California. Don't even think about seeing if that well ventilated carrier fits under the seat or checking to see which routes into the state don't have agricultural check points. . .

Yaknow, if you weren't Chinese I'd swear you and my mom were separated at birth.

...ferrets are illegal in California?

Last edited by LyzGrace on Thu May 19, 2011 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Quaker parrot legality   Quaker parrot legality EmptyThu May 19, 2011 3:18 pm

LyzGrace wrote:
patdbunny wrote:

...ferrets are illegal in California?

Clearly I shouldn't be able to moderate things. That pesky edit button for everyone's posts is next to the quote button. So you may want to fix that. Embarassed

& Yes, they are. My boyfriend was going to try to get some but it's so hard to smuggle them into the state. He also wanted pirhannas, also illegal, but much easier to smuggle in.

California has some of the most strict and ridiculous restricted pet laws.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Quaker parrot legality   Quaker parrot legality EmptyThu May 19, 2011 3:28 pm

KayLayUh - Tell your BF to check this site out if he hasn't already: http://www.ferretsanonymous.com/

Quakers do cause a lot of damage with the colony nesting sites they build. Feral colonies are destroyed and poisoned.
http://www.allpetnews.com/outrage-over-new-hampshire-quaker-parrot-ban
http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-news/bird-legal-issues/outlaw-or-artisan.aspx

I can't find a good picture of a giant quaker nest in the powerlines right now. Google it. Those nests get huge.
Back to top Go down
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

PostSubject: Re: Quaker parrot legality   Quaker parrot legality EmptyThu May 19, 2011 3:30 pm

KayLayUh wrote:
Clearly I shouldn't be able to moderate things. That pesky edit button for everyone's posts is next to the quote button. So you may want to fix that. Embarassed

Hahaha, no problem. At first I thought maybe I was being flagged for calling Roz Chinese :silent:

KayLayUh wrote:
& Yes, they are. My boyfriend was going to try to get some but it's so hard to smuggle them into the state. He also wanted pirhannas, also illegal, but much easier to smuggle in.

That's carazy!! At any rate, I'm glad to see my offhanded smuggling comment was taken well Very Happy
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Quaker parrot legality   Quaker parrot legality EmptyThu May 19, 2011 3:32 pm

LyzGrace wrote:
KayLayUh wrote:

Hahaha, no problem. At first I thought maybe I was being flagged for calling Roz Chinese :silent:

KayLayUh wrote:

That's carazy!! At any rate, I'm glad to see my offhanded smuggling comment was taken well Very Happy

I was going to help him smuggle in the pirhannas. They would've been shipped to me in PA and I would've forwarded them to him. The cat broke his giant aquarium, though.. so no more killer fish.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Quaker parrot legality   Quaker parrot legality EmptyThu May 19, 2011 3:35 pm

Laughing I totally missed the "chinese" comment. I'M SO OFFENDED! not!

Disclaimer: I do not condone smuggling and I have never owned an illegal animal. . .
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Quaker parrot legality   Quaker parrot legality EmptyThu May 19, 2011 3:37 pm

Why don't I believe you? Question
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Quaker parrot legality   Quaker parrot legality EmptyThu May 19, 2011 3:43 pm

I would love to have an aquarium full of glofish. But alas, they are also illegal in CA.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GloFish
Back to top Go down
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

PostSubject: Re: Quaker parrot legality   Quaker parrot legality EmptyThu May 19, 2011 3:49 pm

patdbunny's wiki article wrote:
The GloFish is a patented and trademarked brand of genetically modified (GM) fluorescent zebrafish with bright red, green, and orange-yellow fluorescent colors. Although not originally developed for the ornamental fish trade, it is one of the first genetically modified animals to become publicly available as a pet.

Shocked
That is a little bit freaky. I'd expect California to be up in arms about that one Razz Pretty sweet, though!!! I'd buy 'em if I were into pets that you can stick in a box and stare at but not touch.
Back to top Go down
evil chicken
Umbrella Cockatoo
evil chicken

My Birds : Sam -cinnamon pied cockatiel
Drake "Ducky" Laurence Lars -sun conure
Eric -whiteface pied cockatiel
Chicky Baby -red bantee hen -my avatar. Not really a parrot, but y'know, gotta include her anyway

PostSubject: Re: Quaker parrot legality   Quaker parrot legality EmptyThu May 19, 2011 3:50 pm

patdbunny wrote:

Disclaimer: I do not condone smuggling and I have never owned an illegal animal. . .

Riiiiight, of course not. You only used to have a "not-weasel".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quaker parrot legality   Quaker parrot legality EmptyThu May 19, 2011 5:12 pm

I get so upset over this law. Quakers are incredible birds. I get so worked up over this I can't think straight.
Back to top Go down
MandaDPanda
Indian Ringneck
MandaDPanda

My Birds : Aries - Sun Conure Smile

PostSubject: Re: Quaker parrot legality   Quaker parrot legality EmptyThu May 19, 2011 5:49 pm

Julsiebean wrote:
I get so upset over this law. Quakers are incredible birds. I get so worked up over this I can't think straight.

I get worked up because the birds seem to be wonderful little feather friends...but also because of the human lack of accountability. It's not the bird that let itself out of it's cage to roam free when it was supposed to be a companion.

This is how I ended up with Aries. I love him dearly and he's a sweetie...however, I wasn't set on a Sun Conure when I got him. The reason he is mine is that he was going to be let out of the cage into the wild in San Diego because the people got him and then realized that they had TONS of pitbulls that wanted to eat him. I have a cat and a dog, neither of them bother the bird because as a responsible owner, I don't expose him to harm and they have always been run away from him. This woman just thought ,"oh, he's a pretty bird!" Then couldn't handle it and was going to let a 7 month old bird that was partially clipped out and about.

It aggravates me to no end that people do this kind of thing and then the animal and potential responsible people get punished by laws that are way harsh. License the bird...do something...but don't outlaw the bird!

/stepping off of soap box

Little passionate about it...sorry Embarassed
Back to top Go down
evil chicken
Umbrella Cockatoo
evil chicken

My Birds : Sam -cinnamon pied cockatiel
Drake "Ducky" Laurence Lars -sun conure
Eric -whiteface pied cockatiel
Chicky Baby -red bantee hen -my avatar. Not really a parrot, but y'know, gotta include her anyway

PostSubject: Re: Quaker parrot legality   Quaker parrot legality EmptyThu May 19, 2011 6:08 pm

I agree, MandaDPanda. Getting a pet you didn't realize you couldn't handle is one thing, but releasing it to get eaten/run over/starved/etc. is a whole other thing. It's just irresponsible. If only responsibility were an easier thing to define and assess, then maybe that could be part of regulations for pet ownership rather than outlawing the animal outright.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quaker parrot legality   Quaker parrot legality Empty

Back to top Go down

Quaker parrot legality
Page 1 of 1