Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

WHITE-white people making asian food

Go down 
+5
Margaret
ScooterNScotty
patdbunny
kaeladedah
GlassOnion
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

WHITE-white people making asian food Empty
PostSubject: WHITE-white people making asian food   WHITE-white people making asian food EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 2:41 pm

Do they/you guys usually do a good job? My SO's English mom.. not so much Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: WHITE-white people making asian food   WHITE-white people making asian food EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 2:46 pm

I tried to make spring rolls once. My vote is for no, white people don't make good Asian food.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WHITE-white people making asian food   WHITE-white people making asian food EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 2:49 pm

I make okay fried rice and stir fry, but that is about it!
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: WHITE-white people making asian food   WHITE-white people making asian food EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 2:54 pm

I like stirfry!

Kaela, in a matter of minutes are you gonna make a poll for something along the lines of gender based food management? vicki 5280
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: WHITE-white people making asian food   WHITE-white people making asian food EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 2:57 pm

GlassOnion wrote:
I like stirfry!

Kaela, in a matter of minutes are you gonna make a poll for something along the lines of gender based food management? WHITE-white people making asian food 1335033401

LOL. No, I don't think gender correlates to parrot care.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: WHITE-white people making asian food   WHITE-white people making asian food EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 3:27 pm

Mexicans can cook anything.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: WHITE-white people making asian food   WHITE-white people making asian food EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 4:53 pm

patdbunny wrote:
Mexicans can cook anything.

LOL.

I'll have to let my boyfriend know that. He knows how to cook, but I'm so used to hearing him say he's going to make something microwavable that I forget he can sometimes.

Also, San Diego was the first time I'd heard of Mexicans owning a pizza place.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: WHITE-white people making asian food   WHITE-white people making asian food EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 6:07 pm

Mexicans are in the kitchens of every restaurant. Anthony Bourdain even made a mention about how impressives Mexicans were, that they can cook everything.

Tell him I need a good tamale recipe.

Speaking of recipes - Margaret! Do you have a good European hazelnut torte recipe? I had this great Hungarian hazelnut torte once. Never had it again. Yummy.
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: WHITE-white people making asian food   WHITE-white people making asian food EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 6:14 pm

His mom doesn't use recipes, just dashes and pinches and handsful of things. But here is a recipe for a Hungarian hazlenut torte: http://www.jewelosco.com/viewrecipe.action?recipeId=33144
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WHITE-white people making asian food   WHITE-white people making asian food EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 6:16 pm

I love mexican food. It is my most favorite.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: WHITE-white people making asian food   WHITE-white people making asian food EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 6:29 pm

I actually find the question insulting! Can Asian people make a decent Roast beef? Well of course they can, if they've learned how to do it. Yes, even if they are English!

I think my twice-cooked pork, plum chicken on snow, tangerine beef and ants climibing a tree are superior to what we get when we order takeout, the only difficulty is parking in Chinatown to get the ingredients.

I once fed dinner (Indian) to a visiting Indian professor. I made Ras Malai for dessert from scratch. He said "You made this? We don't make this! We go to the store and buy this!"

Defense rests.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: WHITE-white people making asian food   WHITE-white people making asian food EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 7:24 pm

I'm sorry if it was insulting!!

I just thought it was kind of funny..

PS- Deb, what CAN'T you do?
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: WHITE-white people making asian food   WHITE-white people making asian food EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 7:47 pm

GlassOnion wrote:
I'm sorry if it was insulting!!
No worries. I'm having a bad hair day.... I unexpectedly spent 3 nights in Tucson at a review where it was working lunches and working dinners, spent half yesterday traveling and have only today today to get six thousand things at work done before heading to Death Valley tomorrow with Bill for his 4-day training go... my head is exploding even as we speak. (This is how I relax between tasks, believe it or not!)

Quote :

PS- Deb, what CAN'T you do?
Dance
Play Softball (spent 6 weeks in high school PE playing daily without every making contact with the ball with bat or glove).
Connect with small children (they either run amok or end up crying)
Play a musical instrument
Paint my fingernails or toenails without making a huge mess.
Deliver jokes or remember them spontaneously.
Keep my big mouth shut!

I can make tamales from scratch, though.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: WHITE-white people making asian food   WHITE-white people making asian food EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 8:30 pm

I make, apparently, a really yummy turkey meat loaf - I say it's because I don't know what meat loaf is supposed to taste like.

It's more about - can you cook? The females in my family really can't. All the men on my side of the family are gourmet chinese cooks.
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: WHITE-white people making asian food   WHITE-white people making asian food EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 8:37 pm

patdbunny wrote:
It's more about - can you cook? The females in my family really can't. All the men on my side of the family are gourmet chinese cooks.

That question is kind of subjective. The women in my family think they can cook but almost everything tastes like cardboard. The men don't really bother cooking, so there's nothing really to judge.

I am pretty good at cooking certain things, but other things I can't make to save my life. Almost anything that requires me to follow a recipe is out. Using measuring cups and spoons and whatever else is just too much work. Oddly enough, I make a mean cheesecake and yummy chocolate chip cookies.
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: WHITE-white people making asian food   WHITE-white people making asian food EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 9:13 pm

patdbunny wrote:
Mexicans are in the kitchens of every restaurant. Anthony Bourdain even made a mention about how impressive Mexicans were, that they can cook everything.

Tell him I need a good tamale recipe.

Speaking of recipes - Margaret! Do you have a good European hazelnut torte recipe? I had this great Hungarian hazelnut torte once. Never had it again. Yummy.
Sweets are not my best, sorry Roz. Speaking about Mexicans and kitchen, my bf is a baker(from bread to sweet things), but unfortunately he is doing American way(too sweet and too much Cinnamon), that's how clients want it... Wink But when we're making pizza, he's very helpful for base!

Julsiebean wrote:
I love Mexican food. It is my most favorite.
Unfortunately me too, and it's fat like a hell!

ScooterNScotty wrote:
(...)Can Asian people make a decent Roast beef? Well of course they can, if they've learned how to do it. Yes, even if they are English!
Or bake Polish bread, well baked? Every culture have something, that they are good at, and it's good that way. I won't be forcing nobody to make pierogi(it's already plural). I do them from heart, don't need recipe even. I tried to make burrito, and it was good, but never taste the same like from Mexican place, simple...

KayLayUh wrote:

That question is kind of subjective. The women in my family think they can cook but almost everything tastes like cardboard. The men don't really bother cooking, so there's nothing really to judge.
That's why I'm not gonna say that I can cook so great! I make Polish things mostly. For some people I make a great bigos, my boyfriend for example doesn't like it. Subjective too. Everybody likes things different way.
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: WHITE-white people making asian food   WHITE-white people making asian food EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 9:16 pm

Margaret wrote:

Traditional Mexican food actually isn't all that fattening. The Americanized Tex-Mex, everything needs to be covered in a pound of cheese and fried, is the fattening stuff.
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

PostSubject: Re: WHITE-white people making asian food   WHITE-white people making asian food EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 9:19 pm

KayLayUh wrote:
Margaret wrote:

Traditional Mexican food actually isn't all that fattening. The Americanized Tex-Mex, everything needs to be covered in a pound of cheese and fried, is the fattening stuff.

It also depends, from what part of Mexico person is coming and how was traditionally baked/cooked in their homes. My boyfriend's family loves it greasy, cheesy except my boyfriend and his sister. So we can't generalize it too.
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: WHITE-white people making asian food   WHITE-white people making asian food EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 9:22 pm

Margaret wrote:

It also depends, from what part of Mexico person is coming and how was traditionally baked/cooked in their homes. My boyfriend's family loves it greasy, cheesy except my boyfriend and his sister. So we can't generalize it too.

What part of Mexico is he from?

My boyfriend's family doesn't fry much or leave things greasy. I don't like greasy foods, but I do love cheese.
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

PostSubject: Re: WHITE-white people making asian food   WHITE-white people making asian food EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 9:28 pm

Take a Polish example. I used to be in Polish homes, when everything was so greesy, that I had a hard time to swallow it. And I'm the odd one, I don't like a lot of oil, fatty things. Some Polish(my parents even-RIP) used to use grease from pat to a sos for potatoes. I can't stand it for example.
The same is I believe with every culture: Mexican, Asian, whatever else.
So please let's not use statements, as our small experiences are.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: WHITE-white people making asian food   WHITE-white people making asian food EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 9:29 pm

I cannot cook asian except for making wontons. Does that even count? I have a white friend of German descent (can you get any whiter than that?). If I want asian, I go to her. She cooks like how Deb cooks - GOOD!

Speaking of sweets. . . I just made a tres leches cake. . . yum . . .
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

PostSubject: Re: WHITE-white people making asian food   WHITE-white people making asian food EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 9:31 pm

patdbunny wrote:
I'm not even gonna tell it to my boyfriend Roz
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: WHITE-white people making asian food   WHITE-white people making asian food EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 9:34 pm

patdbunny wrote:

I'm fat because I love sweets. WHITE-white people making asian food 2643855592 Sad, but true.

I don't eat a lot of butter or other bad fats, though. Olive oil is a staple in my apartment. I also don't fry or saute things much. Instead, I opt for baked or broiled.

I think it really does depend on how you grew up for how you cook and what you're good at. I hated the food my grandparents made when I was growing up so I opted to primarily eat fruits, vegetables, legumes and things of that nature. Now that plays a large part in how I cook because I try to load everything up with some kind of veggie or bean.
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

PostSubject: Re: WHITE-white people making asian food   WHITE-white people making asian food EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 9:38 pm

KayLayUh wrote:

I'm fat because I love sweets. WHITE-white people making asian food 2643855592 Sad, but true.
Sadly, I'm not different than you. Actually Roz made me have a taste for something sweet, so I'm going to nearest store with Chico right now Wink See you later guys!
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: WHITE-white people making asian food   WHITE-white people making asian food EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 10:22 pm

I'm fat because I cook!

Not really, but my problem is more portion that eating "bad food". Well, and a 5:00 cocktail habit that snuck in this decade. I drink martinis, so it's not the sugar, but we make them sizeable. I can generally take or leave sweets and eat them rarely. I do love cheese, but the good stuff I can't afford to eat all the time. I will use lard or butter or schmaltz in cooking where it is worth it (say, making hollandaise) and I use olive oil most of the rest of the time, "light" when I don't want a lot of flavor or I'm using a lot of heat and EVOO when I'm going for flavor . BTW, did you know that lard is actually more healthful than butter?! Yeah, the "good" veggie oils are better yet, by a lot, but most people think lard is the devil and it isn't. But all fats and oils have the same number of calories, so they are equal in terms of making one "fat". Very flavorful ones are likely to be better in terms of weight control because you can use less and still get good flavor. I'm not wild about fried foods most of the time because they are almost always indifferently prepared. Properly prepared fried foods should not be greasy, they should be crisp and light and delicious, but usually the oil is too cold and instead of sealing the surface immediately, it soaks in. Then the food is drained carefully. I've actually seen food analyses showing that properly handled deep fried foods absorb far less oil than improperly deep-fried foods. They will absorb some, but the difference can be amazing! I have not yet mastered deep frying because I have enough vices!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WHITE-white people making asian food   WHITE-white people making asian food Empty

Back to top Go down

WHITE-white people making asian food
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next