Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Quick Diet FAQ.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

Quick Diet FAQ. Empty
PostSubject: Quick Diet FAQ.   Quick Diet FAQ. EmptyFri May 20, 2011 1:42 pm

Companion parrot feeding has always been a matter of contention and frustration in the avian world. Until the early 1990s, it was assumed that a seed diet was the proper diet for parrots. Though some brand of pellets had been formulated in the 1970s, they did not become popular or recommended until the 1990s.

Diet is such a critical part of companion parrot ownership that it is sometimes met with frustration and exhasperation. The reality is, so few studies have been done regarding proper avian nutrition, both in the wild and in captivity, that we are still unsure of what is best. Most of the research about avian diets has been focused on poultry.

One of the main considerations that parrot owners need to take is the fact that many parrots do not eat solely seed in the wild. Diets differ immensely according to species and a diet of seeds for one parrot may be incredibly harmful to another. Therefore, diets should be varied and vast.

Seed diets have been particularly popular in the avian world. Studies have shown that diets focused on seed as the main component of nutrition have created nutrition problems. Seed diets can lead to calcium deficiencies, vitamin A deficienies, and they will never meet a parrots protein requirement.

With fresh foods, a general rule to follow is anything safe for your child is safe for your parrot. There are a couple of notable exceptions: chocolate, rhubarb, and avocado. None of these should ever be offered to your parrot as they are incredibly dangerous to them.

A complete, nutritious diet for parrots should be made up of quality proteins, vegetables, fruits, whole grains and carbohydrates. Acceptable proteins are well cooked chicken and eggs. Extruded pellets are also a good source of protein, but should not make up the entire diet.

Vegetables are often high in vitamin A, a vitamin necessary for skin and feather health. Green vegetables such as spinach, broccoli, sweet potatoes and squash are high in vitamin A. Fruits like peaches, cantalope and papaya are also high in vitamin A.

Corn on the cob, peas, bean sprouts, cauliflower, banana and berries are not high in vitamin A, but they do contain other vitamins essential to good health. A good variety of these vegetables should be made available to ensure a healthy diet.

Pelleted food has become quite popular in the avian community over the past 15 years. Many manufacturers push pellets as the best way to meet your parrots nutritional needs. Though pellets are a great way to implement a balanced diet, they should not make up a complete diet.

Enough time has elapsed to begin seeing problems in pelleted diets. According to Pamela Clark, species related issues are just as common with pelleted diets as they are with seeds. Pionus and Cockatiel species have had particularly negative reactions to pellets as they are much higher in protein than their normal diet. As a result, the development of gout or polyuria/polydypsia has been seen in these individuals. Iron toxicity and vitamin D deficiency have also been reported.

Good nutrition can be achieved by feeding your parrot a variety of food. Knowing the basics of parrot nutrition is key. No diet should be completed by using only one item, even if the bird appears to prefer that item. Pellets, seeds, and fresh foods can be mixed and matched in varying amounts to provide optimal nutrition.

It is always best to vary your pets diet. In the absence of any conclusive data, always speak to your avian veterinary about your particular parrot's diet needs.

For continued reading, please visit "Feeding the Companion Parrot" by Pamela Clark.
Back to top Go down
MandaDPanda
Indian Ringneck
MandaDPanda

My Birds : Aries - Sun Conure Smile

Quick Diet FAQ. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick Diet FAQ.   Quick Diet FAQ. EmptyFri May 20, 2011 1:49 pm

*bangs head on desk*

Love the FAQ. It's not that at all. It's getting Aries re-introduced to veggies. I know, I know...it's only been a couple weeks, give him time.

At least he's on pellets and loves them enough to snub veggies. BUT I so want him back on veggies too Sad
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

Quick Diet FAQ. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick Diet FAQ.   Quick Diet FAQ. EmptyFri May 20, 2011 1:53 pm

MandaDPanda wrote:

At least he's on pellets and loves them enough to snub veggies. BUT I so want him back on veggies too Sad

Don't feel bad, I can barely get my guys to eat the pellets or the veggies most days. It really depends on their mood. It's ridiculously frustrating because I know their diet is lacking, but I'm also not willing to starve them for the sake of making them eat better foods.
Back to top Go down
MandaDPanda
Indian Ringneck
MandaDPanda

Quick Diet FAQ. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick Diet FAQ.   Quick Diet FAQ. EmptyFri May 20, 2011 1:56 pm

KayLayUh wrote:
but I'm also not willing to starve them for the sake of making them eat better foods.

Exactly. I also found that he was not foraging like he should be...so I feel like a horrible mommy because he was in his cage to forage and eat that way and wasn't Sad No wonder he was so hungry at night...
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

Quick Diet FAQ. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick Diet FAQ.   Quick Diet FAQ. EmptyFri May 20, 2011 1:58 pm

I free feed because they're just so stubborn about when and what to eat. I find if I leave something in there most of the day, they're more willing to eat it.

Have you seen those Just Veggies things? I've been thinking about ordering some to see how they like it.
Back to top Go down
MandaDPanda
Indian Ringneck
MandaDPanda

Quick Diet FAQ. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick Diet FAQ.   Quick Diet FAQ. EmptyFri May 20, 2011 2:06 pm

Just Veggies? No I haven't. It's worth looking into. I know that the Zupreem pellets have fruits in them...but I think he likes the crunch more than the crunch of real veg.

He's normally out with me during the day and hangs out with some pellet. During meal time he gets a shoot at the veggies with pellets hidden in them. So I know he's getting enough food...but he also used to forage A LOT! So...I dunno...I'm just more peeved that things were not done to keep up his behavior and challenge him. No wonder he was a twit!
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

Quick Diet FAQ. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick Diet FAQ.   Quick Diet FAQ. EmptyFri May 20, 2011 2:09 pm

MandaDPanda wrote:
Just Veggies? No I haven't. It's worth looking into. I know that the Zupreem pellets have fruits in them...but I think he likes the crunch more than the crunch of real veg.

They're made by Just Tomatoes. They look pretty neat, but I'm not sure how good they are. I've never seen reviews.
Back to top Go down
MandaDPanda
Indian Ringneck
MandaDPanda

Quick Diet FAQ. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick Diet FAQ.   Quick Diet FAQ. EmptyFri May 20, 2011 2:14 pm

They have nutritional stuff up and it says nothing has been added to "the product". So I'm wondering if it's all just dry. Hmmm...interesting. They also have fruit...I haven't tried dry fruit with him yet...but he may be getting a surprise! Ninja
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

Quick Diet FAQ. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick Diet FAQ.   Quick Diet FAQ. EmptyFri May 20, 2011 2:15 pm

Have you guys tried skewers, apparently the birds think it's a shredding toy and then yummm.... it's food Wink
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

Quick Diet FAQ. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick Diet FAQ.   Quick Diet FAQ. EmptyFri May 20, 2011 2:16 pm

MandaDPanda wrote:
They have nutritional stuff up and it says nothing has been added to "the product". So I'm wondering if it's all just dry. Hmmm...interesting. They also have fruit...I haven't tried dry fruit with him yet...but he may be getting a surprise! Ninja

My seed mix is fortified with dried fruits and vegetables. They eat the dried spinach and occasionally the banana chips. I think the dried texture is more familiar to them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Quick Diet FAQ. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick Diet FAQ.   Quick Diet FAQ. Empty

Back to top Go down

Quick Diet FAQ.
Page 1 of 1