Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

All fresh foods diet??

Go down 
+2
henpecked
o'TikaandAurora
6 posters
AuthorMessage
o'TikaandAurora
Lovebird
o'TikaandAurora

My Birds : Tim (Red Wing Parrot)
Prince (Blue Princess Parrot)
Chicken (Pearl Gray Tiel)
Malolo (Cinnamon Pied Tiel)
Aurora (Yellow Sided GCC)
o'Tika (Pineapple GCC)

All fresh foods diet?? Empty
PostSubject: All fresh foods diet??   All fresh foods diet?? EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 7:09 am

I've been thinking lately of the possibilities of keeping our birds on an (almost) entirely fresh food diet.
The idea would be to offer a bowl of fresh foods morning and night, including peas, corn, carrot, broccoli, mashed potato, eggs, sprouted seeds, etc. During the day I'd leave a handful of pellets, not much but enough to give them something to eat if they get hungry. As well their pellets I'd leave some food that wouldn't go off quickly. Perhaps a piece of seedy bread or fresh gum leaves??
Does anyone have any idea if a diet like this is doable?
I know their pellets have most of the things they need (I refuse to see it as a be all diet) but I can't help but feel that they'd be better with a fresh food diet.
I'm going to the vet with Rory tomorrow (wing clip and toenail trim) so I'll get the vet to check him over and tell me if it's a dumb idea.
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: All fresh foods diet??   All fresh foods diet?? EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 12:05 pm

I can't converse intelligently on birds in your part of the world and i mainly deal with new world birds(Amazons),the issue with a all fresh diet is that in the wild they eat a variety of different foods at different times of the year and i would find it hard to match the diversity that they have available. Wild birds also have the option of searching out minerals and food that satisfy what ever nutritional deficiencies that they might have( macaws eating clay containing minerals ). Hopefully the pelleted diet provides the basic and trace nutrients that our fids need and should IMO be 50%-75% of their daily diet.I am not a vet and maybe he could offer better advice ,just my 2 cents worth.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: All fresh foods diet??   All fresh foods diet?? EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 1:00 pm

I agree with Henpecked that we do not know enough about what each species is eating in the wild, and that their diet is varied year round. I personally have concerns as to the adequacy of the pelleted diets being touted for all species, but that's the best science can do at the moment. Dog owners who are feeding the BARF diet have similar concerns. However, a carnivore/partial omnivore's diet is easier to duplicate in captivity than foraging parrots from different parts of the world.

Also - from my understanding of cockatiels' natural wild diets, fresh is not what they're eating. I think budgies and cockatiels are dry grass head eaters in the wild. Don't know what the nutritional equivalent would be in captivity. You might also have to give live bugs to duplicate natural diet?

Another thing to consider - If going on a fresh diet as proposed, if something happens to you or you go on vacation, can someone else easily duplicate the diet? If not left specific instructions on what the diet is, if someone in an emergency were to feed them bird seed would they eat it right away in sufficient amounts? You know how birds are. They get used to something and a sudden change can put them off completely to the detriment of their health. In general that's another concern I have about specialty diets and specialty feeding regimens. Most people don't have specific written instructions somewhere or an alternate person trained in the special diet or special feeding regimen. Places like zoos or training centers can do specialized diets and regimens because they have training protocols, written procedures and paid staff to ensure continuity of care.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
o'TikaandAurora
Lovebird
o'TikaandAurora

My Birds : Tim (Red Wing Parrot)
Prince (Blue Princess Parrot)
Chicken (Pearl Gray Tiel)
Malolo (Cinnamon Pied Tiel)
Aurora (Yellow Sided GCC)
o'Tika (Pineapple GCC)

PostSubject: Re: All fresh foods diet??   All fresh foods diet?? EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 1:47 am

Thanks for yours thoughts Smile given me some more to think about.
I'm not thinking about it for right now, but in about 6-12 months when the OH moves up to Canberra with the army and I need to have the conures. Dads also told me that he wants me to take his two birds. The conures love their veggies, so I spose it'd be more of a small amount of pellets (to take care of nutrients etc) and two big meals of veggies and legumes.
I think I'd do Similar with our Australian parrots, have some seeds (they're die hard seed junkies) there for when needed and serve up fresh veggies/fruit/nuts/legumes/bugs and always have plenty of fresh gum leaves inside. They love their gum leaves and it leaves a lovely smell in the house.
I'll try and do some more research until times comes for OH to go and I get the conures, because then I'll get to decide what they eat, since OH is far too busy to fit some quick and basic fresh food prep for them in his super busy, unemployed life (just incase you can't tell, there's a huge dose of sarcasm in that sentence. Huge).
Back to top Go down
dusty
Scarlet Macaw
dusty

My Birds : congo african grey (coco)
blue fronted amazons (willie and vasgo)
sun conure (simon)
greencheeked conure (jack)
senegal (walter)
senegal (crockett)
goffin cockatoo (sammy)
moluccan cockatoo (mango)
severe macaw (cody)
quaker (yoshi)

PostSubject: Re: All fresh foods diet??   All fresh foods diet?? EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 1:18 pm

patdbunny wrote:

Another thing to consider - If going on a fresh diet as proposed, if something happens to you or you go on vacation, can someone else easily duplicate the diet? If not left specific instructions on what the diet is, if someone in an emergency were to feed them bird seed would they eat it right away in sufficient amounts? You know how birds are. They get used to something and a sudden change can put them off completely to the detriment of their health. In general that's another concern I have about specialty diets and specialty feeding regimens. Most people don't have specific written instructions somewhere or an alternate person trained in the special diet or special feeding regimen. Places like zoos or training centers can do specialized diets and regimens because they have training protocols, written procedures and paid staff to ensure continuity of care.

good call roz, i wouldn't have thought of that

dusty
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: All fresh foods diet??   All fresh foods diet?? EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 2:30 pm

Roudybush did a lot of experimenting with cockatiel nutrition. Might be a starting point in building your own diet:
http://www.roudybush.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=birdbrain.articles
Back to top Go down
coral
Sun Conure
coral

My Birds : CAG-Mikko, Blue headed pionus- Marty, 11 finches

PostSubject: Re: All fresh foods diet??   All fresh foods diet?? EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 4:00 pm

you could leave pellets in the cage all day so the bird can choose what it wants to eat and feed it fresh stuff at breakfast and dinner time. i know there are some people that do this. i think it would be better to still offer pellets though
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: All fresh foods diet??   All fresh foods diet?? EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 4:05 pm

coral wrote:
you could leave pellets in the cage all day so the bird can choose what it wants to eat and feed it fresh stuff at breakfast and dinner time. i know there are some people that do this. i think it would be better to still offer pellets though
Do we need a rule - Coral's not allowed on feeding threads?
Laughing Roz
I'M KIDDING CORAL!!!!
We love you!!!

Coral's suggestion is actually pretty much what I do. Most cages have pellets 24/7, small quantity of seed in the p.m., fresh foods in the a.m. If pairs are feeding babies then they get all three items topped off about twice a day or more.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: All fresh foods diet??   All fresh foods diet?? EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 5:58 pm

My impression is that to do adequate research you'd have to get a grant, set up a lab and do it yourself -- we just plain don't know as much about birds as we do about other companion or farm animals. The existing pelleted diets are based on the current best knowledge of what parrots need, but it is one size fits all for the most part and it's got to be imperfect because there just isn't enough research. So my personal feeling is that the best I can do is offer pellets supplemented by fresh foods in as wide a variety as I can manage. In practice, though, I have Scooter picking safflower and millet preferentially out of any dry mix, mostly avoiding any pellets but eating fruits and veggies with great abandon and Scotty eating pellets but refusing most fresh food with the exception of grapes. I can't even achieve my imprefect ideal!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: All fresh foods diet??   All fresh foods diet?? Empty

Back to top Go down

All fresh foods diet??
Page 1 of 1