Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best Friend

Go down 
+8
coral
VickiNumbers
ScooterNScotty
dusty
hannahbird
GlassOnion
kaeladedah
zazanomore
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

Best Friend - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Friend   Best Friend - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 9:50 am

This is getting strange! vicki 5280
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Best Friend   Best Friend - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 10:35 am

^Like you don't huff Sam!

Zons smell the best.
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Best Friend   Best Friend - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 10:57 am

Julsiebean wrote:

Zons smell the best.

Cockatiels!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best Friend   Best Friend - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 11:16 am

Have you ever smelled an amazon? They smell like warm fruity bread!!!
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Best Friend   Best Friend - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 12:31 pm

GlassOnion wrote:
I just want Apple to be happy because I love him so much... and that he would be happier with a female 'tiel.. Sad
So you want to breed him?
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: Best Friend   Best Friend - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 12:43 pm

What? No, no. I just think he would be happier with a mate. I like the idea of keeping birds in pairs or with same species companionship Smile
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Best Friend   Best Friend - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 1:24 pm

what are you going to do when she lays eggs all over the place and you can't get her to stop?
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Best Friend   Best Friend - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 1:30 pm

All hens don't end up as chronic egg layers do they? I do not intend to breed so I'd have to figure out a way for sure. What DO I do if she lays eggs all over the place? Break, replace, remove nesting material...??

I wouldn't mind having a male/male pair but I feel it may not be as good as female/male companionship.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Best Friend   Best Friend - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 1:41 pm

GlassOnion wrote:
All hens don't end up as chronic egg layers do they? I do not intend to breed so I'd have to figure out a way for sure. What DO I do if she lays eggs all over the place? Break, replace, remove nesting material...??

I wouldn't mind having a male/male pair but I feel it may not be as good as female/male companionship.
Extremely high likelihood even if you don't give them optimum breeding conditions. Throw you in a room with a guy for years on end - you will have sex with him.

You're wanting Apple to be "happy", but you're not looking out for the best interests emotionally or healthwise of the poor girl you'll be getting. He can have all the sex he wants, but she won't be able to realize her heart's desire - to be a mommy in that situation.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Best Friend   Best Friend - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 1:46 pm

What about a male/male pair, would that be better than a solitary situation in your opinion?
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Best Friend   Best Friend - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 1:49 pm

GlassOnion wrote:
What about a male/male pair, would that be better than a solitary situation in your opinion?

Why do you need another cockatiel if you've got a budgie as another-bird companion?
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Best Friend   Best Friend - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 2:01 pm

Firstly- http://www.parrotparadiseforum.com/t1095-spice-will-be-going-to-a-new-home-in-the-new-year

Secondly- I simply am not okay with leave a flocking bird alone in a room for 8-10 hours a day.

Thirdly- I don't think that an inter-species companionship is quite the same as having one your own kind.

Finally... I don't even know if I'll get another Cockatiel, but I don't want Apple to be lonely.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Best Friend   Best Friend - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 2:01 pm

I also strongly believe they need avian companionship. I don't necessarily believe they need same species companionship. But, yes, I think a male/male pair's better than a female/male pair if you're not going to breed. In the wild, not all of them get a mate of the opposite sex. Some males may never have enough game to ever score a female in their entire lives. Then a lot of times the bachelor males who didn't get the girls end up hanging out together.
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Best Friend   Best Friend - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 2:03 pm

GlassOnion wrote:
Firstly- http://www.parrotparadiseforum.com/t1095-spice-will-be-going-to-a-new-home-in-the-new-year

Secondly- I simply am not okay with leave a flocking bird alone in a room for 8-10 hours a day.

Thirdly- I don't think that an inter-species companionship is quite the same as having one your own kind.

Finally... I don't even know if I'll get another Cockatiel, but I don't want Apple to be lonely.

Ooh, I didn't know she was going to a new home.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Best Friend   Best Friend - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 2:11 pm

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Spice and have second thoughts about keeping her everyday. But I also do know that I can't provide a 'flock' of budgies like Zaza can, and that it would be selfish to keep her. I've learned my lesson though for sure. There will be NO rehoming in the future for me, unless I'm diagnosed with an incurable disease or if I died.

Roz, you explain things so amusingly. I should note that Apple has never once shown any sexual behaviors at all, so at least I know he's not all that into sex.
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Best Friend   Best Friend - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 2:20 pm

GlassOnion wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Spice and have second thoughts about keeping her everyday. But I also do know that I can't provide a 'flock' of budgies like Zaza can, and that it would be selfish to keep her. I've learned my lesson though for sure. There will be NO rehoming in the future for me, unless I'm diagnosed with an incurable disease or if I died.

Roz, you explain things so amusingly. I should note that Apple has never once shown any sexual behaviors at all, so at least I know he's not all that into sex.

I think rehoming in certain situations is okay. If it's just not working out even if you've tried your hardest, then it's probably the only thing you can realistically do. Chronic rehoming is where the problem is.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Best Friend   Best Friend - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 2:28 pm

Sam's at least 5 years old and not rubbing himself on everything either. He shares a bachelor pad w/ Ducky and Eric - all males. They do guy things like watch football and have arm-punching contests. They don't seem to be pining for the girls. I think it would be ugly if I threw a girl into the mix. Then that would stimulate their sexuality, territoriality, etc.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Best Friend   Best Friend - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 3:05 pm

Bahahahahah!!!!
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Best Friend   Best Friend - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 4:07 pm

patdbunny wrote:
Sam's at least 5 years old and not rubbing himself on everything either. He shares a bachelor pad w/ Ducky and Eric - all males. They do guy things like watch football and have arm-punching contests. They don't seem to be pining for the girls. I think it would be ugly if I threw a girl into the mix. Then that would stimulate their sexuality, territoriality, etc.
vicki 5280
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: Best Friend   Best Friend - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 6:50 pm

Julsiebean wrote:

Zons smell the best.
Are you insane? I've already got two pending scars on my hand from him as it is. I'd prefer to not have any Sam marks on my face.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best Friend   Best Friend - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 7:11 pm

Then you aren't huffing right!!
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Best Friend   Best Friend - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 7:13 pm

Huff through a straw?
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: Best Friend   Best Friend - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 8:16 pm

Julsiebean wrote:
Then you aren't huffing right!!
Tell you what, I'll send Mr. Pin-Eyed Big Beak out your way and let you get a head start on the "huffing" for me. When you've got him good and broken in, I'll take him back. Deal?
Back to top Go down
Pretty_Poe
Sun Conure
Pretty_Poe

My Birds : Poe - Yellow Sided GCC
Doppler - Pearl Whiteface Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: Best Friend   Best Friend - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 8:34 pm

Mmmmmm. Huffing.

Yesterday, I'm sitting on the couch. Poe is sitting right under my chin. I have my nose buried in his back "huffing" his beautiful birdie smell. Hubby looks over. Looks confused. Says nothing. Walks away. He's missing out!

I am also a fairly antisocial person (which is why I do website development and consulting work - most of my interaction with clients is email-based), and Poe is definitely my buddy. I talk to him, ask him questions (usually met by a sideways head cock or "Pretty Poe!"), cuddle him.... So.... yeah... he's my buddy...

But I also feel pride when he learns something (like only pooping in his cage!), or chirps and sings happily - as though he was my child.

He offers me companionship and amusement. He amazes me with all of his antics. I love having him cuddle up and take a nap in my neck. I love when he talks to me, or sings me a song in his little gravelly voice. I also feel pride when he picks up on something new, or when he does something that just drives home the fact that he is a HAPPY birdie, and that we are the ones to make him a HAPPY birdie.

I find myself bragging about him constantly. And talking about what a little CHARACTER he is! And his personality traits! And and and...

He's my bird! The only creature in my life who can get away with splashing water all over the living room during his bath, or pooping on my wall, or trying to eat my fingernails. I love you

Einstein (this is super awesome)
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Best Friend   Best Friend - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 9:40 pm

ok. We're all weirdos here. I huff birds. Seriously.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Friend   Best Friend - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Best Friend
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parrot Paradise Forum :: Welcome :: Parrot Tales-
Jump to: