Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Parrot maniacs: your next bird will be?

Go down 
+12
flappinhappy
evil chicken
moa
Vikki
coldtrance
GlassOnion
MandaDPanda
zazanomore
crystalsbirdtoys
atlanon
kaeladedah
Margaret
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

Parrot maniacs: your next bird will be? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parrot maniacs: your next bird will be?   Parrot maniacs: your next bird will be? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 12:12 pm

Vikki wrote:
So they are non-touch birds or can you actually inetract with them? I wouldn't be getting a pair, and perhaps if I get one young enough I can get it used to socialization.

My pairs cannot be interacted with. Don't quote me on this as I haven't had any babies yet, but I'd think they'd be a lot like IRNs in that they wouldn't care for a lot of cuddling. Based on observations of my pairs, they seem to be pretty high energy; translated to pet would be probably tame and social they'd interact with you but wouldn't sit in one place very long. My opinion is that you could keep a young handfed tame, social and interactive; think IRN but more active.

I know you'd have a huge cage Vikki, or not cage it much at all. But for everyone else who's considering one, I'd say house them in a flight cage if at all possible even if they're clipped. They seem to be very active. I have mine in 4' flights. Ideally they'd be in 12' flights. Eastern rosellas are not very large. They're just about the size of an IRN, but seem a hair slimmer. IRN do fine in 4' flights, but I'm feeling bad for my rosellas being in 4' ones (going to get them into larger ones. Hoping within the next couple of months). I'm trying to relay their enjoyment of movement.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

My Birds : Sebastian - 7 yr old Harlequin Macaw
Arthur - 12 yr old Jardines Parrot
Pickle - 16 yr old Hahn's Macaw
Ecko - 26 yr old Hahn's Macaw

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

PostSubject: Re: Parrot maniacs: your next bird will be?   Parrot maniacs: your next bird will be? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 12:21 pm

Ideally, we're going to have several outdoor flights and during winter they would be in large cages, but again, this is a wish of mine and not something I will consider right now. This is months if not years down the road.
Back to top Go down
http://www.voliveri.com
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Parrot maniacs: your next bird will be?   Parrot maniacs: your next bird will be? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 12:51 pm

Vikki wrote:
Ideally, we're going to have several outdoor flights and during winter they would be in large cages, but again, this is a wish of mine and not something I will consider right now. This is months if not years down the road.

We all have our dream birds!
Hawk-Headed SulphurCToo Moluccan GreenwingMacaw SevereMacaw conure dusky Golden Conure Nanday Conure bhCaique humming bird penguin and lilac-breasted rollers
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: Parrot maniacs: your next bird will be?   Parrot maniacs: your next bird will be? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 7:09 pm

I hold my breath to say my next bird will be loud pray
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: Parrot maniacs: your next bird will be?   Parrot maniacs: your next bird will be? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 7:29 pm

Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: Parrot maniacs: your next bird will be?   Parrot maniacs: your next bird will be? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 8:46 pm

Well, I've finally narrowed it down to an Amazon (don't know which kind yet) or an Eclectus. Right now, I'm leaning towards an Eclectus. Of course, either one would be at least three years down the road.... I need to get my oldest out of the house (so I can have my bird room!) and my youngest old enough to be quiet!

I don't think that ANY bird I brought into my house right now would have a chance at being quiet. He'd have to compete with my son and the dogs. Then I'd have to listen to that for the next 30-50 years. Not a good idea at all. I'm willing to wait to make sure I get my baby off to a good start. Smile

Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: Parrot maniacs: your next bird will be?   Parrot maniacs: your next bird will be? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 9:25 pm

Vicki5280, so we both have to be patient, that's all Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Parrot maniacs: your next bird will be?   Parrot maniacs: your next bird will be? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 9:28 pm

Vicki we may forever be bird/flock twins! In about 3 years I am either adding an Eclectus or an African Grey.
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

My Birds : ~Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure
(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

~Arthur - Red Bellied Parrot
(Hatchdate January 7, 2009, rescued October 7, 2011)

PostSubject: Re: Parrot maniacs: your next bird will be?   Parrot maniacs: your next bird will be? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 2:56 pm

I would love to add another bird to our house, but with Merlin squawking constantly lately, if I brought another bird in the house I might be living outside myself!

I would really like a White Capped or Bronze Wing Pionus, though.
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: Parrot maniacs: your next bird will be?   Parrot maniacs: your next bird will be? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 3:39 pm

Julsiebean wrote:
Vicki we may forever be bird/flock twins! In about 3 years I am either adding an Eclectus or an African Grey.

Are you serious? vicki 5280 That's so funny!!! I never would have thought that someone would have the same (almost the same) flock that I do. What's even crazier is that with a few exceptions we've acquired our flocks in almost the same order with about the same spacing between birds. Whooda thunk I'd meet my feather-sister online?! Hug2

Margaret wrote:
Vicki5280, so we both have to be patient, that's all Wink
Yep. You're right. But with the patience level and attention-span of a Lovebird, it's going to be a LONG wait for me! (For those of you who don't know Lovebirds, my Lovie reminds me of my budgie on meth!)
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Parrot maniacs: your next bird will be?   Parrot maniacs: your next bird will be? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 5:54 pm

Budgie on meth! Julsiebean My lovebird is...well insane. She can be the most charming, mellow, adorable thing with feathers ever then morph into a pitbull raging meanie lady. She runs around her cage like she has a firecracker in her hind-end and throws temper tantrums. Whoever says little birds short on personality needs to spend some time with her. She is the most manipulative yet utterly charming little bird.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Parrot maniacs: your next bird will be?   Parrot maniacs: your next bird will be? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Parrot maniacs: your next bird will be?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2