Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Shiva flew away :(

Go down 
+12
ScooterNScotty
Vikki
flappinhappy
GlassOnion
VickiNumbers
Margaret
moa
atlanon
RogerP
patdbunny
henpecked
coldtrance
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

My Birds : Yoshi - SI Eclectus

Shiva flew away :( - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shiva flew away :(   Shiva flew away :( - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 11:47 pm

RogerP wrote:
.......Hey anybody notice how nice it is to have this conversation without having people trying to tear each other apart, instead using common sense and respect for each other? I could get used to this.

Yes Thumbs-up
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/lyzgrace
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: Shiva flew away :(   Shiva flew away :( - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 12:05 am

RogerP wrote:
.......Hey anybody notice how nice it is to have this conversation without having people trying to tear each other apart, instead using common sense and respect for each other? I could get used to this.
So it is possible to respect each other opinions, even, if they're different flappinhappy

I was thinking about Chico. Her wings didn't grow back yet. Whenever I take her for a walk with harness on, she is crappy and half time try to fight harness, instead of enjoying our walk.
Today I gone to local small "emergency" store with Chico without harness. She was happy, no fighting, looking around and whistling sometimes. I'm thinking about clipping/not clipping her wings in the future.
In my area walks with her will end in about late September and then until April/May no walks(climate). We'll see. But bottom line there is something to conciser, I don't won't to be a hard head thinking
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Shiva flew away :(   Shiva flew away :( - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 12:30 am

RogerP wrote:
I'm using the carrier method for Merlin to travel and to get him full sun, at least until I can get him to come within 50 feet of me when I have the harness in my hands. He is fine if it is lying there, but freaks out whenever I try to put it on him. I am trying to let his flights grow out, and so far, so good. However, if he starts to be a danger to himself or others, I may need to.... :affraid: clip (there I said it).

In the end we are all TRULY TRULY doing what we believe to be the best for our birds. For me the clip/not clip boils down to what is the best life I can give to my bird given my life circumstances. A flighted bird in my house would spend most of its time in a cage and that, to me, sucks.

I love you guys. You all are so NICE! And no one's jumping to any conclusions and jumping all over people chastising them for mistakes.

It's a nice place to brainstorm about what works, what doesn't, what might. . . endless possibilities - and that's how we'll all grow in our knowledge of birdkeeping.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Shiva flew away :(   Shiva flew away :( - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 8:01 am

Well said Roz! Kaylayuh
Back to top Go down
coldtrance
Parrotlet
coldtrance

My Birds : Im lonely without my Sammy.
On the market for a new FID.

PostSubject: Re: Shiva flew away :(   Shiva flew away :( - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 3:41 pm

Thank you everyone for the luck vibes. So far there is no sign of her. But I've noticed since she's been gone the tiel has been very clingy. I'm thinking she does need a companion bird and I almost brought home a dusky conure today that I fell in love with. *gasp*
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: Shiva flew away :(   Shiva flew away :( - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 3:46 pm

I'm sorry Sad

You should get another bird Wink We LOVE new birds.... Crazy
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Shiva flew away :(   Shiva flew away :( - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 4:46 pm

Don't give up on her!

Put up a bunch of posters and contact every rescue in your area.

I can't even imagine how I'd feel if I lost any of my babies.
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: Shiva flew away :(   Shiva flew away :( - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 5:06 pm

patdbunny wrote:
RogerP wrote:
I'm using the carrier method for Merlin to travel and to get him full sun, at least until I can get him to come within 50 feet of me when I have the harness in my hands. He is fine if it is lying there, but freaks out whenever I try to put it on him. I am trying to let his flights grow out, and so far, so good. However, if he starts to be a danger to himself or others, I may need to.... :affraid: clip (there I said it).

In the end we are all TRULY TRULY doing what we believe to be the best for our birds. For me the clip/not clip boils down to what is the best life I can give to my bird given my life circumstances. A flighted bird in my house would spend most of its time in a cage and that, to me, sucks.

I love you guys. You all are so NICE! And no one's jumping to any conclusions and jumping all over people chastising them for mistakes.

It's a nice place to brainstorm about what works, what doesn't, what might. . . endless possibilities - and that's how we'll all grow in our knowledge of birdkeeping.

It really does feel like, dare I say, Paradise? sunny

I have JJ "mostly" flighted right now, and I know there are several things we're doing wrong in our house. But I know my bird and the learning capabilities of my family, and I'm making changes a little bit at a time. Contrary to most homes, JJ is out of her cage more than either of the clipped birds. She's either harnessed or in her cage when the stove is on and in her cage when I go to bed at night and that's about it. Her cage is open so she can eat and drink, and for the most part, I take her with me whenever I leave the house (when it's practical, I wouldn't take her to a movie, for example). But Posei cant be out of his cage because he's a Kamikaze bird. He can't fly at all, but keeps trying - and crashing. So it's the cage for him. And Bucky can safely be out, but because he poops every five minutes, wherever he goes, there's a big mess left behind.

Like I said, I know there are things I'm doing wrong and I'm working to correct them. What I like about this place is that I wont find condemnation for my errors, only encouragement and sympathy if needed. Y'all really are the best! wheee! Hug
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Shiva flew away :(   Shiva flew away :( - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 5:36 pm

^Dude, it must me a Quaker thing. Juniper poops like a dump truck! Sparrow doesn't poop nearly as much, neither does the lovebird. I've tried paper training Loud Mouth but she ain't having it.
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: Shiva flew away :(   Shiva flew away :( - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 6:11 pm

Julsiebean wrote:
^Dude, it must me a Quaker thing. Juniper poops like a dump truck! Sparrow doesn't poop nearly as much, neither does the lovebird. I've tried paper training Loud Mouth but she ain't having it.

Yep. I've tried with Bucky too. Religiously, for six weeks. I gave up when *I* started plucking. Crazy
Back to top Go down
flappinhappy
Sun Conure
flappinhappy

My Birds : (R) denotes rescue birds
(R) Stacie, YN F
(R) Mickey, RL M
(R) Miss Kong, Panama F
(R) Binkie, YN F

Merlin, Gracie and Mercie my little Jack Yappers
44 chickens and 2 turkeys

PostSubject: Re: Shiva flew away :(   Shiva flew away :( - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 6:56 pm

Coldtrance I guess at this point in time we could use some insight from you
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Shiva flew away :(   Shiva flew away :( - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 9:12 pm

coldtrance wrote:
I almost brought home a dusky conure today that I fell in love with. *gasp*

OMG!! I LOVE dusky conures!

party clap Geeeetttttt iiiittttttt. . . party clap

Don't make me open another fortune cookie!
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
coldtrance
Parrotlet
coldtrance

PostSubject: Re: Shiva flew away :(   Shiva flew away :( - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 4:48 pm

Weeeeelllllll.... I found Shiva..... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad ....... She was eaten by something...... I found her wing and a foot under the tree she had flow into. Im pretty sure either a cat or our neighborhood racoon got her.

So now my fiance will be found in a black bag when Im finished with him.

Back to top Go down
MandaDPanda
Indian Ringneck
MandaDPanda

My Birds : Aries - Sun Conure Smile

PostSubject: Re: Shiva flew away :(   Shiva flew away :( - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 5:02 pm

coldtrance wrote:
Weeeeelllllll.... I found Shiva..... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad ....... She was eaten by something...... I found her wing and a foot under the tree she had flow into. Im pretty sure either a cat or our neighborhood racoon got her.

So now my fiance will be found in a black bag when Im finished with him.

Oh, I am so sorry. Hug2
Back to top Go down
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

My Birds : Yoshi - SI Eclectus

PostSubject: Re: Shiva flew away :(   Shiva flew away :( - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 5:03 pm

Oh Demi I'm so sorry Sad I know it's small consolation, but at least you have some closure. Just another lesson learned that will make life healthier and happier for all your future babies Hug2
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/lyzgrace
coldtrance
Parrotlet
coldtrance

PostSubject: Re: Shiva flew away :(   Shiva flew away :( - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 7:52 pm

I think Im going to adopt the same policy as the zoo I work for. They always have a leash on their birds if they are flighted even when they are in a carrier. But because of my doe-doe brain lover I will be keeping everyone clipped especially if I intend to take them out to public places. Im also attemping to train our tiel (now named Samara.. sheesh too many name changes on my poor baby) to wear a flight suit. If the flight suit doesnt work then I will go for an aviator harness or my least favorite method *gasp* the ankle tie.

Soo needless to say Im angry and sad that Shiva has passed away but all at the same time its hard to be extremely sad when Sammy is such a sweetie and is super cuddly. Shes been so sweet since Shiva ran away.
Back to top Go down
flappinhappy
Sun Conure
flappinhappy

My Birds : (R) denotes rescue birds
(R) Stacie, YN F
(R) Mickey, RL M
(R) Miss Kong, Panama F
(R) Binkie, YN F

Merlin, Gracie and Mercie my little Jack Yappers
44 chickens and 2 turkeys

PostSubject: Re: Shiva flew away :(   Shiva flew away :( - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 8:19 pm

Oh I am so sorry to hear this I have been praying she was found, my heart hurts for you. Sad
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Shiva flew away :(   Shiva flew away :( - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 9:14 pm

Poor bird Sad I hope she didn't suffer too much.... I'm so sorry!!!
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

My Birds : ~Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure
(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

~Arthur - Red Bellied Parrot
(Hatchdate January 7, 2009, rescued October 7, 2011)

PostSubject: Re: Shiva flew away :(   Shiva flew away :( - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 9:16 pm

Just read your post. So sorry for your loss
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: Shiva flew away :(   Shiva flew away :( - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 9:24 pm

Ohhhhhh honey... I'm sooo sorry. Crying or Very sad Sad
I don't know that even having closure would really make me feel much better if I'd found my baby like that. Maybe I'm an odd duck, but I think I'd like being able to pretend that someone found her and she was living happily somewhere else.

Again, my condolences on your loss of Shiva. I know she's up there with my LB Angel2, and they're having a grand time.

I'm so so sorry.

Last edited by Vicki5280 on Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Because I don't know when to shut up.)
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Shiva flew away :(   Shiva flew away :( - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 10:23 pm

I'm so sorry Sad
Back to top Go down
coldtrance
Parrotlet
coldtrance

PostSubject: Re: Shiva flew away :(   Shiva flew away :( - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 11:16 pm

Thank you everyone for your sweet words. Hug2 Im really sad and wish I could pretend she found a new home, but at least Im not still searching for her with no clue.

As far as the Flightsuit goes Im going to try it but I dont have high hopes that Sammy will like it. She hates having her wings touched. I really like the aviator harnesses the most. I prefer to give my animals the most mobility possile while still having control over them.

The ankle tie is literally just that a piece of soft leather tied to the bird's ankle. I dont like these unless they are used on raptors because parrots tend to jerk their legs more than eagles, falcons, ect. Ive always felt that on smaller birds it would cause them pain if they moved their leg and I put too much restraint on the lead. We use ankle ties at work for all of our birds, but I still dont like them.

The method I love though is to have the leash tied to the grate of a carrier. It prevents the bird from flying away or jumping out of the carrier as you open it.

As of right now though, I am not using any restraints on Sammy. She just rides on my back like a little back pack. It seems to keep her happy and shes never tried to jump off of me (yet). But again shes just a baby and hasnt tried to fly too much. Shes only tried when she was scared (like when I put her on the counter in the bathroom).

So hopefully Sammy will have a safer life with me (since I watch her like a hawk around everyone now) and maybe here soon Ill get brave an adopt a new baby for a companion. im still holding out for a sun or jendy.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Shiva flew away :(   Shiva flew away :( - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 11:19 pm

Hey, you're in San Diego. Get a sunny or a jenday from Roz!! LOL
Back to top Go down
MandaDPanda
Indian Ringneck
MandaDPanda

My Birds : Aries - Sun Conure Smile

PostSubject: Re: Shiva flew away :(   Shiva flew away :( - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 11:25 pm

GlassOnion wrote:
Hey, you're in San Diego. Get a sunny or a jenday from Roz!! LOL

I second this thought. yahoo
Back to top Go down
coldtrance
Parrotlet
coldtrance

PostSubject: Re: Shiva flew away :(   Shiva flew away :( - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 11:39 pm

Actually I was considering it because she has new borns and shes tempting me. AAAANNNNDDD the fiance said I can since he killed my bird.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shiva flew away :(   Shiva flew away :( - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Shiva flew away :(
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next