Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Weight Loss

Go down 
+8
patdbunny
Margaret
InquisitiveCow
hannahbird
atlanon
GlassOnion
moa
zazanomore
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Weight Loss Empty
PostSubject: Weight Loss   Weight Loss EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 10:01 am

Join me!!

I am currently trying to get healthy, no fad diet or extreme workouts. Simple good choices and lifestyle changes. I welcome company and advice.

Read about my progress and such here...

http://restlesswindinsidealetterbox.blogspot.com/2011/06/first-day.html
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

Weight Loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss   Weight Loss EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 10:15 am

You'd be surprised how much the little things can really help out.

Do you drink pop, coffee, or fruit juices? If so, you should cut them out. Drink water. It's good for your body, will help you poop, will clear up your complexion, and people can lose 5-10 pounds by just cutting out all other 'bad' drinks. Of course though, natural fruit juices are fine, as long as there is no added sugar.

Remember to stay fit, you need a minimum of 60 minutes of exercise each day. But that doesn't mean hard strenuous labor. Taking the stairs, biking or walking instead of driving places. I was at my thinnest when I walked to and from high school. A 45 minute walk each way.

I've taken a year off, and I've really started to slack, so I'm starting to gain some unwanted weight.

I can't wait to move out to University. I'll be in a big city, so I'll start biking and walking everywhere again.
Back to top Go down

Weight Loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss   Weight Loss EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 10:23 am

^All good points and things I've already put into action. I allow myself one cup of coffee in the morning so I don't kill anyone and one glass of sweet, iced tea. I am southern after all. Wink I allow myself ice cream once a week. Otherwise I've been doing well on the healthy foods front, it was a change but I'm over the worst of it. I am down almost a pant size from that for a few weeks of just changing how I eat and drinking more water. Getting moving was hard, I already walk with my kids every day and spend all my non parrot time chasing a wild and I do mean WILD toddler. Cool
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

Weight Loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss   Weight Loss EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 10:25 am

Ice cream, that reminds me...

DON'T cut out all sweets. If you cut them all out, you'll end up binging. Having a little bit satisfies the craving, but won't affect your waistline.
Back to top Go down
moa
Sun Conure
moa

My Birds : Rainbow and the unnamed gcc

Weight Loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss   Weight Loss EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 2:24 pm

I'm trying to do one positive change every week or two, like drink just water (okay, so I do have smoothies but my mom makes awesome smoothies and it's basically just frozen fruit, ice and some yogurt) but I literally have to write WATER on my hand or else I will drink soda or other not so good for me drinks. It's like I have no will power sometimes... Embarassed Now that it's summer at least I can get a handle on the excercise part by going kayaking just about every sunny day possible!
oh and my mom does weight watchers, it's something that really worked for her and is still working. Again, a lifestyle change not a fad diet.
good luck!!
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

Weight Loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss   Weight Loss EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 2:42 pm

Normally, I've been pretty good at avoiding pop and junk food.

But since opening the chip truck, where I get FREE drinks and food all day long, I've been really doing badly.
Back to top Go down
moa
Sun Conure
moa

Weight Loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss   Weight Loss EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 2:54 pm

oh yeah we get free soda at work and people bring baked goods in, often. Makes it harder to avoid! And I swear the healthiest thing they sell for lunch is fries suspect its a battlefield sometimes..
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

Weight Loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss   Weight Loss EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 3:22 pm

Instant Ramen Noodles are my arch enemy. I can't stop having them right before going to bed.

I've been meaning to try wheatgrass shots, apparently they're very healthy. Oh, try drinking tea- lotta antioxidants Smile
Back to top Go down
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

My Birds : Yoshi - SI Eclectus

Weight Loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss   Weight Loss EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 4:05 pm

Way to go, Julsie!!! We should keep this thread up for everybody just so we can all stay accountable. Very Happy Just because people don't feel they need to lose weight doesn't mean they don't need to be healthier, everybody can benefit! Since getting married I've lost almost 25 pounds just because of getting out of my house which stockpiles oreos and ice cream... of course this would happen AFTER the wedding. Duh

As a new member of a holistic chiropractic/nutritionist family, the biggest tip I can give is get rid of CHEMICALS. Cutting salt and sugar is all good, but the biggest thing is just eating foods that aren't processed. You don't need to count calories if everything is natural (like... REALLY natural... not what the FDA allows to be called natural like HFCS). You'd have to positively gorge yourself on fresh fruits, veggies, and grains to do anything other than wonders for your body.

Aaaannd my shameless chiropractic plug Razz I know it's controversial in some circles, and a lot of chiros give the practice a bad rap by doing nothing other than crack backs. But if you find yourself a chiropractor who is truly concerned about your health and isn't rough, you can really help your body. Nate's dad NEVER cracks clients, he does everything through gentle muscle manipulation - that's a little on the opposite extreme, but they ARE out there.

Chiro in a nutshell: Your nervous system is how your body communicates with itself. The spinal cord is the central structure of your nervous system. The spinal cord is surrounded by your vertebrae and has a ton of baby nerves that come off of it through "gaps" in the vertebrae. If your vertebrae are pinched/misaligned in the slightest, it can cause obstructions in the nervous system, which again, is how your body communicates. If your body's communication is messed up, stuff doesn't work right. Your body was designed to fix itself, and it CAN if it's got the right nutrition and can talk to all of its pieces correctly. Today, we find "problems" and fix them with drugs, which do NOT fix the problem. They fix the symptoms of the problem. Symptoms are what your BODY is already doing to TRY and fix the problem, so by getting rid of those, we're telling the body it's fine, when really, something is wrong.

Phew... sorry... if you think that was bad you oughta go to dinner with some of Nate's school friends. Dead
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/lyzgrace
hannahbird
African Grey
hannahbird

Weight Loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss   Weight Loss EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 5:25 pm

[quote="GlassOnion"]Instant Ramen Noodles are my arch enemy. I can't stop having them right before going to bed.

I've been meaning to try wheatgrass shots, apparently they're very healthy. Oh, try drinking tea- lotta antioxidants Smile[/quote
Same here! I love ramen.
Im also doing a summer work out type thing!
Im trying to not drink soda..its a hard habit to break.
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

Weight Loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss   Weight Loss EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 5:42 pm

Once you quit soda, it tastes really weird afterwards.

Too bad I started drinking it again...
Back to top Go down
InquisitiveCow
Budgerigar
InquisitiveCow

My Birds : Gracie (African Grey)
Larry and Rhonda (Senegals)

Weight Loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss   Weight Loss EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 9:46 pm

Heyas Julsie...good for you!! Weight Loss 800892966 Weight Loss 800892966

I had started Jenny Craig in December and had great results but haven't been able to stay on due to a kick in the pants financially recently. What I did learn and what I'm doing now to stay on top of things is merely watching your portions and being aware of what you're putting into your body. I eat three properly portioned meals now as well a three snacks and drinks loads of water and green tea. (I have to have my coffee in the morning too or people would die). Be mindful of what it is you're eating though, it may be a small portion but it could be full of cream or butter etc. IE: FAT

Exercise is huge. I go to the gym now but in the beginning I just walked and I saw big results right away with just going for a brisk 45 minute walk a few times a week.

You have my support chicky, you can do it!!
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

Weight Loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss   Weight Loss EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 1:40 pm

Hey Julsie, good luck! Thumbs-up
Since I quit smoking, I change clothes from size 9 to size 14. I always find a good excuse to eat something sweet, or something with a lot of calories. Sodas I drink very occasionally, but it doesn't help me if I eat whole chocolate in one time Embarassed
Somehow I have to find motivation and join you...
Anyway, good luck with your diet!
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

Weight Loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss   Weight Loss EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 1:48 pm

Margaret wrote:
Hey Julsie, good luck! Weight Loss 3938999417
Since I quit smoking, I change clothes from size 9 to size 14. I always find a good excuse to eat something sweet, or something with a lot of calories. Sodas I drink very occasionally, but it doesn't help me if I eat whole chocolate in one time Embarassed
Somehow I have to find motivation and join you...
Anyway, good luck with your diet!

Since last June I've gone up two dress sizes. It's embarrassing.

But I always tell myself "a little bit can't hurt" or "I had a tough day, I deserve it".
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

Weight Loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss   Weight Loss EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 2:02 pm

I kept my pre-pregnancy jeans for years. I only came out of denial maybe five years ago that I'd never fit into them again. I'm getting off the coffee, so now I just want to eat ALL THE TIME! Just ask Kaela.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

Weight Loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss   Weight Loss EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 4:30 pm

patdbunny wrote:
I'm getting off the coffee, so now I just want to eat ALL THE TIME! Just ask Kaela.

She does.

I gained about 80lbs on the medication combination I was on. Since I'm currently not taking it and probably won't be taking it for the forseeable future, I'm hoping I can lose that weight. But I have no motivation to exercise and have a really bad sweet tooth, so I'll probably be a heifer forever.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

Weight Loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss   Weight Loss EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 4:49 pm

KayLayUh wrote:
But I have no motivation to exercise
I'm the stereotypical Californian. I'll drive a block to the corner store.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

Weight Loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss   Weight Loss EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 4:51 pm

patdbunny wrote:

I never been in California and I do the same Wink Well, maybe lately Chico with harness gave me motivation for walking more...
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

Weight Loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss   Weight Loss EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 4:54 pm

patdbunny wrote:

Lazy lazy.

I walk when I need to get things done since I don't have a car. So if I need to go grocery shopping, I either walk to the bus stop to go to the supermarket or walk to the farmer's market. I walk to go do laundry. But that's really about it since I don't really have other places to go.

I also have a bad habit of saying I'm going to start exercising, doing it for a few days and then stopping. I think if I had a treadmill or something, I'd exercise more. But I don't, so I don't exercise.
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

Weight Loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss   Weight Loss EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 5:58 pm

KayLayUh wrote:
patdbunny wrote:
I'm getting off the coffee, so now I just want to eat ALL THE TIME! Just ask Kaela.

She does.

I gained about 80lbs on the medication combination I was on. Since I'm currently not taking it and probably won't be taking it for the forseeable future, I'm hoping I can lose that weight. But I have no motivation to exercise and have a really bad sweet tooth, so I'll probably be a heifer forever.

Seroquel did it for me.

"There's a slim chance you may experience weight gain"

I hate my doctor Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

Weight Loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss   Weight Loss EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 9:48 pm

A slim chance of weight gain? Never trust a doctor that puns!

I just today rejoined Weight Watchers. I have kind of a love-hate relationship with the program, I think it is very sound nutritionally, but I hate the way they change it up every couple of years. The last change they made really POd me because once I figured out the new points formula it became obvious they could have achieved the same thing with relatively minor tweaks to the existing system -- this way just made it so that you had to be more dependent on the official tools. But I was successful losing weight on it before and I really have to buckle down and get some of the weight I am carrying off. I look in the mirror and see my mother.

You guys are mostly younger and you may find your minor tweaks really pay off. I stopped eating junk and drinking anything with calories in it (besides a little cream in my coffee and martinis and wine) years and years ago. All the way up to my mid-30s, if I was reasonably active (as in riding at least one horse five days a week and doing the associated chores) I could drop weight without hardly trying. Then I hit my mid-40s and all of a sudden NO DICE. Even fairly aggressive exercise did not keep the pounds from rolling on. At this point, the only thing that works for me is to write down what I eat and control the portion sizes as well as making good choices and getting exercise. It kind of sucks, but if I don't face the fact that I need less food at 50 than I did at 25, I'm going to turn in to Jabba the Hut.

I am a foodie and I'm not ever going to give up "real food". I have no real desire to eat processed junk and I quit desserts except for special occasions years ago -- don't miss them at all. But I'm never going to be a fan of fat-free dairy products or "low fat" processed foods, etc. My goal is to eat limited portions of food I really love, not to waste calories on stuff I could really care less about, and to cut back on, but not eliminate, the less healthful items in my diet such as alcohol. And to stress fresh organic produce, fish, grass-fed beef etc. And I'm going to kick up the exercise. Now that I'm not riding regularly, it's more of a struggle because the activities I really enjoy are hard to work in to a regular day. So I either do exercise that's kind of a chore, or I don't get it done. I did recently complete a 100-day exercise challenge -- I did something I could consider exercise for 30 minutes every day for 100 days. I lost absolutely no weight, but it did get me feeling more fit and I'm looking to capitalize on that. I'm thinking about starting a modified P90x-style workout, but I want to limit the high impact components and I want to do real yoga, not the pseudo-yoga in the program. I tend to do better when I do a "a program" for a set time period, like the challenge, rather than thinking of it as a forever thing.

So, count me in!
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

Weight Loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss   Weight Loss EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 3:41 am

I'm in!
Finally came the day, when I said: enough is enough!
I never in my life practiced any special diet.
My secret diet is absolutely cutting sweets and sodas, do not eat late, and do not eat a lot in one time. Plus a lot of exercises. That's all what I need. Yes
Back to top Go down
dusty
Scarlet Macaw
dusty

My Birds : congo african grey (coco)
blue fronted amazons (willie and vasgo)
sun conure (simon)
greencheeked conure (jack)
senegal (walter)
senegal (crockett)
goffin cockatoo (sammy)
moluccan cockatoo (mango)
severe macaw (cody)
quaker (yoshi)

Weight Loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss   Weight Loss EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 10:20 am

Good luck ladies, i know it's important to you...but remember it's whats inside that counts and you all have good hearts...stay strong and you will succeed...

dusty

beauty is in the eye of the beholder...and i think you are all beauties
Back to top Go down

Weight Loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss   Weight Loss EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 11:00 am

Thanks for all the support guys!! Weight Loss 3181567798
Back to top Go down
moa
Sun Conure
moa

Weight Loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss   Weight Loss EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 7:09 pm

a good book to check out is "food rules" I forget the authors name but I think he wrote The Omnivore's Dilemma as well. It's a lot of common sense but I found it worth looking through...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Weight Loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss   Weight Loss Empty

Back to top Go down

Weight Loss
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next