Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Check out the new resident of Paradise!

Go down 
+9
Margaret
coral
dusty
henpecked
GlassOnion
wyspur
ScooterNScotty
patdbunny
RogerP
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
dusty
Scarlet Macaw
dusty

My Birds : congo african grey (coco)
blue fronted amazons (willie and vasgo)
sun conure (simon)
greencheeked conure (jack)
senegal (walter)
senegal (crockett)
goffin cockatoo (sammy)
moluccan cockatoo (mango)
severe macaw (cody)
quaker (yoshi)

Check out the new resident of Paradise! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Check out the new resident of Paradise!   Check out the new resident of Paradise! - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 14, 2011 8:25 am

dusty wrote:
neither my sengal or grey is like that, but i have an amazon exactly like that...can't trust him for a minute

dusty

roger i guess you missed this one...lol

dusty
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

My Birds : ~Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure
(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

~Arthur - Red Bellied Parrot
(Hatchdate January 7, 2009, rescued October 7, 2011)

PostSubject: Re: Check out the new resident of Paradise!   Check out the new resident of Paradise! - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 14, 2011 3:24 pm

dusty wrote:
dusty wrote:
neither my sengal or grey is like that, but i have an amazon exactly like that...can't trust him for a minute

dusty

roger i guess you missed this one...lol

dusty

Oops, sorry Dusty, forgot about Walter! Open mouth, insert foot! Check out the new resident of Paradise! - Page 3 3139819972
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: Check out the new resident of Paradise!   Check out the new resident of Paradise! - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 14, 2011 7:52 pm

RogerP wrote:
I have been trying that for the last few days, when I am with him letting him in and out as he pleases. He seems to be becoming more outgoing at least, no less passive aggressive though.

Tonight he has taken to "lifting off" whenever the mood strikes him. I am talking to him and giving him treats while he is out of the cage, but not trying to pick him up while on it. However, if he takes off he will land on my hand, or if he lands somewhere else, I will pick him up and he is fine, letting me cuddle, skritches, sitting on my hand and shoulder, the lot. We're not there yet but we are getting somewhere.

That's my short reaction: Check out the new resident of Paradise! - Page 3 2154879677

RogerP wrote:
(...)
Update, Arthur finally stepped up off the cage for me once tonight. I think he was distracted and didn't realize what I was doing. However, soon after doing this he took off and ended up somewhere I had to grab him to get him back. Two steps forward and one back. Oh well ....
Better two steps forward and one back than no steps at all. You're one happy parrot slave and Arthur is the lucky one!
Lucky is the same cage aggressive. I found out, that he's crazy about apples, so I use apple as something I know he will step up to me from cage. You'll find your way! Good luck!
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

PostSubject: Re: Check out the new resident of Paradise!   Check out the new resident of Paradise! - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 15, 2011 12:32 am

Thanks Margaret! Great to have you back online!
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

PostSubject: Re: Check out the new resident of Paradise!   Check out the new resident of Paradise! - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 15, 2011 11:57 pm

Okay back from the vet's today, and everything is great! Clean bill of health all around. The vet said he is in excellent shape, no health issues at all! They also did a nail trim for free!

He behaved good if not great (wouldn't come out of the carrier, they had to towel him), but sat on the scale nicely (129 grams!) and stepped up great off the scale. He sat through the nail trim nicely too!
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Check out the new resident of Paradise!   Check out the new resident of Paradise! - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 1:46 am

See. You totally scored! He sounds GREAT!
All the more curious why Arthur was in the shelter. Were they able to tell you anything as to the circumstances of how he ended up there?
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

PostSubject: Re: Check out the new resident of Paradise!   Check out the new resident of Paradise! - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 4:09 am

All they told me is that he was owner surrendered, due to a landlord issue. I guess their landlord told them they could not keep him. Seems silly to me. If that's the choice, a family member or this apartment, I will find a new place to live.
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Check out the new resident of Paradise!   Check out the new resident of Paradise! - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 10:36 am

RogerP wrote:
All they told me is that he was owner surrendered, due to a landlord issue. I guess their landlord told them they could not keep him. Seems silly to me. If that's the choice, a family member or this apartment, I will find a new place to live.

Check out the new resident of Paradise! - Page 3 3938999417
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Check out the new resident of Paradise!   Check out the new resident of Paradise! - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 12:02 pm

RogerP wrote:

I've actually done this. My husband got me a puppy early on. We knew "no dogs". We started looking for a new place immediately. Bypassed all the rentals that said "no pets".

Some people think they can hide the pet or "no pets" doesn't mean "no pets". What is up with that? I'm a pet friendly landlord, but it annoys me to no end when people sneak in pets and I WILL evict them for it. I think also a lot of people don't want to/can't pay the pet deposit. People need to understand that they NEED to pay the pet deposit. It shows a level of responsibility to and respect for the landlord.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Check out the new resident of Paradise!   Check out the new resident of Paradise! - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 3:34 pm

Well I basically agree, I was always up-front about the cats when I was a renter, and I was careful about the CC&Rs as a townhouse owner. OTOH, there are situations where moving isn't necessarily an option -- say a long-term lease you can't get out of, or the place is rent-controlled and you can't afford to move. Or the pet was acquired by a dependent minor with the knowledge of the (irresponsible) parents, not knowing this might happen. At any rate, someone's loss is Roger's gain in this case.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Check out the new resident of Paradise!   Check out the new resident of Paradise! - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 5:11 pm

I broke my fixed term lease with full knowledge I'd be responsible for the remainder of the lease term if they couldn't get the place re-rented. I figured if I'm going to do something irresponsible (puppy, knowing full well dogs are not allowed), then I have to be responsible for the consequences.
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: Check out the new resident of Paradise!   Check out the new resident of Paradise! - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 7:51 pm

RogerP wrote:
Okay back from the vet's today, and everything is great! Clean bill of health all around. The vet said he is in excellent shape, no health issues at all! They also did a nail trim for free!

He behaved good if not great (wouldn't come out of the carrier, they had to towel him), but sat on the scale nicely (129 grams!) and stepped up great off the scale. He sat through the nail trim nicely too!

Okay, so now you have one polite and one a bit misbehaving bird:) I'm glad Arthur is healthy! Hurrra!

RogerP wrote:
I would do the same, but if the previous caregiver gave up Artur so easy, he wasn't worth to be owned by such a cute bird Wink (Good for you and Arthur)
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

PostSubject: Re: Check out the new resident of Paradise!   Check out the new resident of Paradise! - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 4:10 pm

Okay, ordered Arthur's cage over the weekend, this is the one I picked out:

http://www.aecageco.com/product.cgi?group=37405&product=37465

Does this look okay? Opinions?

It will take a couple of weeks to arrive. Until then he will be stuck in his 18x18x24 "apartment". Maybe he will mellow out a little if he has more room to move around, though he is not very active right now.
Back to top Go down
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

My Birds : Yoshi - SI Eclectus

PostSubject: Re: Check out the new resident of Paradise!   Check out the new resident of Paradise! - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 4:38 pm

That's Yoshi's cage exactly! His is green. I'd say it looks great, Arthur will be livin' la vida Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/lyzgrace
coral
Sun Conure
coral

My Birds : CAG-Mikko, Blue headed pionus- Marty, 11 finches

PostSubject: Re: Check out the new resident of Paradise!   Check out the new resident of Paradise! - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 4:49 pm

i like it!!
Back to top Go down
dusty
Scarlet Macaw
dusty

My Birds : congo african grey (coco)
blue fronted amazons (willie and vasgo)
sun conure (simon)
greencheeked conure (jack)
senegal (walter)
senegal (crockett)
goffin cockatoo (sammy)
moluccan cockatoo (mango)
severe macaw (cody)
quaker (yoshi)

PostSubject: Re: Check out the new resident of Paradise!   Check out the new resident of Paradise! - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 5:17 pm

good choice

dusty
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Check out the new resident of Paradise!   Check out the new resident of Paradise! - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 5:40 pm

Looks pretty nice. I assume 5/8" is appropriate bar spacing for him. The only nit I'd pick is that the bigger the cage, the wider the door I want just so I can reach in there to clean, and that one looks a tad narrow in the photo. But maybe that's just because it's so tall.
Back to top Go down
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

My Birds : Yoshi - SI Eclectus

PostSubject: Re: Check out the new resident of Paradise!   Check out the new resident of Paradise! - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 5:42 pm

Oo - you're right, Deb, that door does look narrow. I'm pretty sure mine's wider but not as tall. I will say, though, Roger, sometimes I've wished my door was narrower so that I could use more of the front wall for attaching perches. No worries either way Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/lyzgrace
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Check out the new resident of Paradise!   Check out the new resident of Paradise! - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 5:53 pm

Good point. I kind of like the dual-door styles that allow you to open up the whole cage front for cleaning but use a smaller door for "normal".
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

PostSubject: Re: Check out the new resident of Paradise!   Check out the new resident of Paradise! - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 11:03 pm

I like those "whole front of the cage opens" cages as well, but the only ones I could find for that is the Super Pet EZ care cages, and I am not a big fan of the quality there, at least for the ones I have looked at.

And yes the door is narrower than I would like it to be, but I could not find one the size I like that had the right door. I would have chosen another cage the same as Merlin's but I can't find it anywhere. I can almost crawl right in his door, and that is no small feat for me.

Oh well, I will figure something out. Maybe I can get my son to clean it, he is skinny (like that's gonna happen!).
Back to top Go down
coral
Sun Conure
coral

My Birds : CAG-Mikko, Blue headed pionus- Marty, 11 finches

PostSubject: Re: Check out the new resident of Paradise!   Check out the new resident of Paradise! - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 7:47 pm

Uhm :rof Roftl tl: hire a bird cage cleaner? Lol
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Check out the new resident of Paradise!   Check out the new resident of Paradise! - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 11:29 pm

coral wrote:
Uhm :rof Roftl tl: hire a bird cage cleaner? Lol

I'm looking at career change. How much would you pay for someone to clean your bird cages?
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

PostSubject: Re: Check out the new resident of Paradise!   Check out the new resident of Paradise! - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 11:44 pm

The travel expenses alone would bankrupt me, Deb! Plus I don't think you want to come up her in January and February.

Funny enough, the store that is ordering my cage for me also offers cage cleaning.

Think I'll stick to it myself.
Back to top Go down
crystalsbirdtoys
Senegal
crystalsbirdtoys

My Birds : African Grey - Merlin
Caique - Rosco
Cockatiel - Stryder

PostSubject: Re: Check out the new resident of Paradise!   Check out the new resident of Paradise! - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 9:57 am

Congratulations!

Wow! Is he ever gorgeous Smile Is he settling in okay?
Back to top Go down
http://www.crystalsbirdtoys.com
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

PostSubject: Re: Check out the new resident of Paradise!   Check out the new resident of Paradise! - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 3:59 pm

crystalsbirdtoys wrote:
Congratulations!

Wow! Is he ever gorgeous Smile Is he settling in okay?

Thanks, it has been kinda up and down. I have another post under parrot behaviors that details some of what's been going on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Check out the new resident of Paradise!   Check out the new resident of Paradise! - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Check out the new resident of Paradise!
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next