Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Not sure where to put this

Go down 
+15
o'TikaandAurora
evil chicken
wyspur
Margaret
crystalsbirdtoys
Vikki
GlassOnion
ScooterNScotty
zazanomore
kaeladedah
patdbunny
RogerP
hannahbird
dusty
VickiNumbers
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

Not sure where to put this Empty
PostSubject: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 9:50 am

JJ Died last night. I'm trying not to die with her. Will post more later.
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
dusty
Scarlet Macaw
dusty

My Birds : congo african grey (coco)
blue fronted amazons (willie and vasgo)
sun conure (simon)
greencheeked conure (jack)
senegal (walter)
senegal (crockett)
goffin cockatoo (sammy)
moluccan cockatoo (mango)
severe macaw (cody)
quaker (yoshi)

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 10:00 am

oh no, i am so sorry

dusty
Back to top Go down
hannahbird
African Grey
hannahbird

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 10:04 am

Im so sorry Hug2 Hug2 Hug2
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

My Birds : ~Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure
(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

~Arthur - Red Bellied Parrot
(Hatchdate January 7, 2009, rescued October 7, 2011)

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 11:28 am

Oh, that's awful! So sorry for your loss! We are here if and when you need us!
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 12:07 pm

Sad Hug2
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 12:28 pm

Unfortunately, I also know what it's like to lose a dear bird. I'm sorry you do, too. Sad
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 2:18 pm

I'm so sorry.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 2:43 pm

Oh no, oh no, oh no. I feel so awful for you. I don't know what to say.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 3:14 pm

Jeez.. I'm so sorry Sad Kaylayuh
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 5:06 pm

Thank you all. I hate to be so dramatic, but I feel like a part of me has died. I couldn't stay at home so I'm at the bird store right now seeking solace in bloody fingers and feathers of another color.

I don't know what happened, don't know if I ever will... I'll tell the story later, I can't right now, I'm still crying. I'm a big blubber baby. Hugs back to everyone...
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

My Birds : Sebastian - 7 yr old Harlequin Macaw
Arthur - 12 yr old Jardines Parrot
Pickle - 16 yr old Hahn's Macaw
Ecko - 26 yr old Hahn's Macaw

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 5:07 pm

Hate to be clinical, but do you know what was wrong? Was JJ ill? So so sorry for your loss. It is never easy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.voliveri.com
crystalsbirdtoys
Senegal
crystalsbirdtoys

My Birds : African Grey - Merlin
Caique - Rosco
Cockatiel - Stryder

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 5:07 pm

So sorry to hear of your loss Sad

*hugs* We're here for you!
Back to top Go down
http://www.crystalsbirdtoys.com
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 5:14 pm

My heart is breaking for you. We had to put down Louie, Jeanne's CAG, last week and that was horrible. You feel so helpless and lost. Know we are all here for you if you need a shoulder.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 5:19 pm

I've felt devastated ever since I read your post, I can't even imagine how awful you feel. I've almost been in tears several times myself and all I want to do is go check on my guys and make sure they are OK. You definitely have a lot of sympathetic ears here.

I also would like to know what happened when you feel up to it. It sounds as if there was no warning and no obvious cause. I've always been terrified of that.
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 5:26 pm

Same here, sitting at work trying not to cry. My cats been ill and is still not moving much. I spend my nights poking at him to make sure he's still breathing.

And unfortunately with birds, it is usually a shock. They have such long lives, but they also have very sensitive "systems" that can react to the most minute things. I have to deal with it at the rescue, not frequently, but once is more than enough for me. In the past few months we've had maybe 5 pass and those are no less hard to deal with. Probably why I tend to go clinical when it happens because we have to. Make sure its not something that can kill the other birds, so we always have to get an autopsy done. I know you have other birds, I know its hard, but I would suggest it for their safety.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 9:02 pm

Oh sweetheart, I am in tears. I am beyond heartbroken for you.
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 9:06 pm

I'm so sorry.
There are no words to made somebody else feel better in that situation. I was crying each time, when I lost my pet Sad
Back to top Go down
wyspur
Parrotlet
wyspur

My Birds : 7 parakeets, 6 tiels, and two crazy Caiques
wyspurcreations is a sanctuary for small birds with special needs.

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 11:21 pm

I'm so very sorry to hear this. Hugs to you and yours ;o(
Back to top Go down
http://www.wyspurcreations.com
hannahbird
African Grey
hannahbird

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 11:23 pm

Ive been thinking about you all day<<33 We are all here for you if you need. I will be keeping you in my thoughts. I love you
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 11:54 pm

I don't even know how to tell you all how much your shared sympathy means to me... It takes someone else who knows the love of one of these little guys to understand the complete devastation I've been feeling all day today. My hubs has felt bad, but his sympathy has been for me, not because he feels a loss too, you know? I'd have felt very alone in my grief had it not been for everyone here and my friends at the bird store - which is where I spent most of the day. I ended up leaving earlier than I'd planned and took her to the vet... but I'll start at the beginning of the story.

Our day started the same way it always does. She wakes up when Cal is getting ready for work. He turns on lights and makes noise, she wakes up and I hear her start eating, she invokes her escape clause (by EEEP! EEEEEP!ing), I go get her, take her to the bathroom where she does her massive morning business, then we go crawl back in my bed and snuggle under the covers for another hour or so till it's time to get up. Everything was normal! Appetite, poop, activity, everything! She roamed around under the covers until she found her spot right by my side, then she snuggled in and went to sleep. I dozed off too, as I often do, and woke up about 45 min later and reached down and started petting her and clucking to her... I knew something was wrong immediately because she didn't feel right... I threw back the covers and scooped her up at the same time. Like Kaela, I tried to resuscitate her, but it was far too late for JJ.

After I left the store, I called the vet and told him everything. He said he could do a necropsy, but he really didn't think it would show anything. He said that more than likely it was the result of a heart defect, suffocation, or the combination of the two. She hadn't been acting ill, the very short time frame involved, and blah blah blah... The bottom line for me is that I am absolutely certain she was showing no signs of illness and there had been no change in her environment whatsoever If I had any question about that, I would request to move forward with the necropsy. But at this point, I have the choice of paying for the necropsy, or getting another bird. And the void in my life is far larger than my need to have resolution over what caused her death.

I spent most of the day at the bird store, crying and trying to find another JJ to fill the hole that I knew was going to be waiting for me at home, but there wasn't a JJ there. So, to answer the question on everyone's mind ... yes, I'm getting another bird. Soon... as soon as I can find one. Karen had two Blue Crown Conure babies who are 2 and 4 days old that she had to pull cause mom and dad wont feed them, but as cute as they are, I'm not sure I want a conure that big. I really like the green cheeks. I love their size, their personality... their pain-in-the-buttness... But the only GCC she had was scared to death of people.... and while I'm sure I could tame him, it would take a LOT of time and a LOT of bandaids. (I needed 4 just from today.) I don't think that's what I'm looking for. So I looked online and found a breeder three hours away across the mountains who has one yellow sided green cheek left. Since I dont want another turquoise (I'd always be expecting it to be JJ), my second choice was a yellow sided... and one that doesn't have to be shipped is a bonus. So, I'm off to see if I have a spark with this little baby tomorrow. She's not weaned yet, but the breeder said that since I have birds, I have experience feeding, I have an experienced hand-feeder available as a resource (and there's another storm coming in on Saturday), that she'd let me bring her home unweaned. SO... we'll see. You know I'll keep you posted.

Hugs to you all.... I couldn't have made it through this day without you.

Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 12:15 am

Good for you for processing through this so quickly. When my cockatiel passed suddenly, it was weeks before I was ready for another bird, and Tucker was not even that sociable. I hope you find the spark again soon. The new bird will never be JJ, but it shouldn't be. JJ was special to you and should remain so.

Good thoughts and prayers with you. Glad we could help in some small way. Take care, let us know what happens with the Yellow Side.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 12:49 am

Hugs. How awful for you!

I'm sure the right bird will come along when you and it are totally ready for each other. Mattie the cat happened to us before I was really ready after Ariel, but Bill was ready and she's pretty perfect.
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 12:59 am

(sad smile) Oh Roger, rest assured, there's not been any "processing" taking place. If anything, this activity is in lieu of processing, or maybe part of it, I don't know. I DO know that I haven't processed anything yet though. This is just how I deal with grief - I go through the motions as fast as I possibly can, and deal with the rest of it as I'm able.  It's probably not the "right" way, but in grief, there really isn't a "right" way. 

The only reason I know what kind of bird I want is because I'm ALWAYS looking at birds.  I know what I like and what I don't like, what I want and what I don't. For the most part, making a bird decision isn't a hard one for me. I can fall in lust with just about anything, but when I start thinking about it, I'm always able to decide whether or not it would be a good fit in my family, and a blue crown wouldn't be. Plus, it's not what I really want. 

So, tomorrow I drive. 
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 2:42 am

Okay Vicki, I'll be honest, I kinda thought that was what was happening for you (the non-processing), I was just hoping for the best. You're right though, there is no right or wrong way to grieve.

Drive safe, I know the weather hasn't been very good in your neck of the woods. Not sure where to put this 1839924927
Back to top Go down
dusty
Scarlet Macaw
dusty

My Birds : congo african grey (coco)
blue fronted amazons (willie and vasgo)
sun conure (simon)
greencheeked conure (jack)
senegal (walter)
senegal (crockett)
goffin cockatoo (sammy)
moluccan cockatoo (mango)
severe macaw (cody)
quaker (yoshi)

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 8:15 am

vicki have a good safe trip and i hope everything clicks with the new bird...we all care!!

dusty
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this Empty

Back to top Go down

Not sure where to put this
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parrot Paradise Forum :: Welcome :: Parrot Tales-
Jump to: