Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Not sure where to put this

Go down 
+15
o'TikaandAurora
evil chicken
wyspur
Margaret
crystalsbirdtoys
Vikki
GlassOnion
ScooterNScotty
zazanomore
kaeladedah
patdbunny
RogerP
hannahbird
dusty
VickiNumbers
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
evil chicken
Umbrella Cockatoo
evil chicken

My Birds : Sam -cinnamon pied cockatiel
Drake "Ducky" Laurence Lars -sun conure
Eric -whiteface pied cockatiel
Chicky Baby -red bantee hen -my avatar. Not really a parrot, but y'know, gotta include her anyway

Not sure where to put this - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 10:54 pm

If it's a girl I vote for a real feminine name. I don't know why but it seems to me like that would fit. If it's a boy then... Um... I dunno. Squirt?

Of course, all votes can be vetoed (:
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 11:03 pm

I'm leaning towards Allie or Rita (Señorita) if it's a girl, Robbie if it's a boy is what I've got so far. Ok. Breaks over. Must hit the road again.... I want to get home!!!
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 11:06 pm

I think she looks like an Emme if she's a girl.
Back to top Go down
o'TikaandAurora
Lovebird
o'TikaandAurora

My Birds : Tim (Red Wing Parrot)
Prince (Blue Princess Parrot)
Chicken (Pearl Gray Tiel)
Malolo (Cinnamon Pied Tiel)
Aurora (Yellow Sided GCC)
o'Tika (Pineapple GCC)

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 11:09 pm

You wait a few months and she'll colour up nicely. I'm really amazed by the way these birds change over a few months. Tika bit the shitters out of me when we were picking our two, but she bonded with my OH straight away and was gonna be his bird we brought her home, and since we brought her home we know we made the right choice. Really funny cause I had put her in my definitely not list, but the OH put her in his definitely yes list Smile
Back to top Go down
evil chicken
Umbrella Cockatoo
evil chicken

My Birds : Sam -cinnamon pied cockatiel
Drake "Ducky" Laurence Lars -sun conure
Eric -whiteface pied cockatiel
Chicky Baby -red bantee hen -my avatar. Not really a parrot, but y'know, gotta include her anyway

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 11:11 pm

I like Robbie insanely much! And Emily or Em or Emme if it's a she.

And drive safe!
Back to top Go down
o'TikaandAurora
Lovebird
o'TikaandAurora

My Birds : Tim (Red Wing Parrot)
Prince (Blue Princess Parrot)
Chicken (Pearl Gray Tiel)
Malolo (Cinnamon Pied Tiel)
Aurora (Yellow Sided GCC)
o'Tika (Pineapple GCC)

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 11:18 pm

I like señorita Smile she looks like an Emily to me too
Back to top Go down
dusty
Scarlet Macaw
dusty

My Birds : congo african grey (coco)
blue fronted amazons (willie and vasgo)
sun conure (simon)
greencheeked conure (jack)
senegal (walter)
senegal (crockett)
goffin cockatoo (sammy)
moluccan cockatoo (mango)
severe macaw (cody)
quaker (yoshi)

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 05, 2011 1:45 am

the pic is up and she is beautiful....congratulations

dusty
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

My Birds : ~Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure
(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

~Arthur - Red Bellied Parrot
(Hatchdate January 7, 2009, rescued October 7, 2011)

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 05, 2011 3:02 am

She's a cutie! And if we're voting, I actually like Allie!
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 05, 2011 3:11 am

I really really like Emme, buuuttt.... I'm trying to stay with family names (which is why I wouldn't use Rita, even though I think it's cute). My Grandmother's names were Aleen (pronounced AL-een) and Roberta, which is where I came up with Allie and Robbie. I also thought of my Grandpa, Reuben, the deritive would be Ruby, which fits with the coloring nicely. I keep running into problems with boy names though... I'm not to keen on a bird named Reuben, my other Gpa's name is Jack, and my son's name is very similar sounding... So that wouldn't work right now. PLUS, any name has to be two syllables... Soooooo. I like to keep things challenging, right? Lol!

One other thing, if my guess based on my very inexperienced pelvic examination of this little chickie turns out to be correct, this baby is a girl! I can't wait to see if I'm right!
Back to top Go down
Nevermore
Cockatiel

My Birds : Captain Jack Parrot: Green-cheeked Conure

Cheeky/Sir Cheeks - Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 05, 2011 8:52 am

I'm sorry Sad

I'm glad you found another babe though
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 05, 2011 9:19 am

Wow, s/he is very cute! I was thinking about you a lot on the plane over. Since I'm in France, I'm thinking french names... Marie, Jean-Claude, Henri, Michel, Denis.....

I think the jumping right in thing is one way people cope with the loss and it's actually not all that uncommon. It's how my husband is, and at some level how I am as well, although I found myself fighting it just because it seems wrong to some people. But plenty of people, very responsible people, are the same way. So don't feel alone. I had a conversation about it with one of the techs at my vet's office when we wound up with Mattie so soon after we lost Ariel. They see it a lot. I think for me if I lost one of the birds, I'd almost have to capitalize on that urge to jump right back in or I might never have the courage to take the risk again.

I hope I'm typing coherently and sympathetically -- I'm seriously tired and jet lagged right now! Trying not to fall asleep and nap too much, although hubby is out cold.

Looking forward to hearing all about the new baby.
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 05, 2011 10:18 am

Well, morning feeding successfully completed. In order to not imprint a gender in my head, I'm flipping back and forth each day. Today is a boy day. And SnS, I REALLY like Henri! That's my Gpa's middle name, and while he was Hispanic, if I put the French accent on it, it rhymes with ornery- which is the perfect descriptor of a Greencheek!
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 05, 2011 10:50 am

I don't want to share Emme with you, anyway! I really like Emme for MY next bird. Smile

Why family names for birds and not kids?
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 05, 2011 1:57 pm

Thank God, nqo more kids for me! Now I have fids. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 10:33 am

How about Robin? Works for a boy or girl, and it has the ROB in it.
Back to top Go down
coral
Sun Conure
coral

My Birds : CAG-Mikko, Blue headed pionus- Marty, 11 finches

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 5:20 pm

im so sorry about jj Not sure where to put this - Page 3 2271525164your new baby is beautiful i know shes not jj but shell have a special place in your heart to! I love you I love you
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 8:10 am

I've been thinking about J-Bird a lot in the last week and decided it was time to journal about it just a little bit. I went back and read through the five pages of posts and as expected, your genuine empathy still came through. Relatively speaking, the avian community is such a small one that it's uncommon to mention your bird to someone and expect them to be able to reply with any kind of real understanding. Therefore I don't know how people who have birds are able to fully experience their bird's life unless they have some kind of community to share it with. I know I would not have fully enjoyed my time with JJ had I not had you guys. Sure, I would have enjoyed it but I wouldn't have known all the possibilities... there are so many opportunities I'd have missed out on.

It's two days shy of a month since I found JJ dead that awful morning. Everyone knows it's been a busy as heck month! Lot's of changes started that morning. Little Allie-pants (or Allie-pip, Allie-poo, or Alliekins) came the next day? Was it really that soon? Bucky has gone to his new home with a nine year old boy who has as much energy as Bucky has volume. (That's a LOT!) I brought home Ella, then took Ella back after a week when I learned that my more experienced Parrotopolis friends were right about her and Allie-pants. (WHY didn't they tell me sooner??) I started a new job working at the bird store. I've loved on a Hyacinth. I've been bit (more than once) by a macaw, and I lived. I subsequently decided I needed to learn to interact with the Macaws, and started that process. I brought home a plucking Pionus to foster - a bird I'd never intended to bring home. I bought a budgie as the start of my breeding flock, and put it in someone ELSE's breeding flock! LOL (long story!) I brought home an older budgie to try and tame, and realized that all it ever does is scream, whine and growl (and eat and poo) - which just makes me irritated with it. And somehow in the middle of all that, I'm finding time to come to terms with the fact that JJ is gone.

I find myself crying at odd times. Actually, they're not such odd times. I was feeding the birds in the boarder room and came across a turquoise GCC. Looked just like JJ... I stuck my hand in and asked him/her to step-up, and s/he did. Of course, I immediately started bawling my eyes out. Yes, right there in the store, holding and cuddling a strangers bird, I sobbed like I did the first few hours after JJ died. (not that long, but, well, you get the picture - runny nose, puffy eyes, not able to talk...ugly scene! Lol!) All I could think of was that I was getting my "one more chance" to hold her and talk to her. And damned if that little bird didn't act just like J would have. It sat there and let me pet it and kiss on it, and it cocked it's little head at me like, "Whatcha making this fuss for? I'm just a bird for Pete's sake!" It was almost like J had taken over that bird to come and tell me bye. Or I have a really good imagination. One or the other.

I've tried to be aware of the things that people have told me about when grieving my loss... like when Kaela said it took a good month before she was able to see Piper and actually just see Piper. (As opposed to expecting to see No Name, or something like that. You'd have to read her post.) I think I'm reaching that point... just starting to. It helps that Allie doesn't look or sound anything like J-Bird did. Her calls aren't the same, her activity level isn't the same, and her coloring is most CERTAINLY not the same! So when I hear her, I don't think JJ, I think Allie. The problem for me is when she does something that reminds me of J-Bird and I respond to her without thinking and use J's name. I've been doing that a lot lately because J's been on my mind a lot, like I said. I suppose that's to be expected on occasion. Hell, I get my dog and my son mixed up several times a week, I don't suppose it's too much of a stretch to think I'd get JJ and Allie confused on occasion, huh? Allie HAS helped me to stay focused in the present and hasn't allowed me to dwell in the past. For that fact alone getting her when I did was the best choice I could have made - at least for me.

It just seems like everywhere I turn I see something that reminds me of JJ. Either it's a toy, or something that Allie isn't doing, or something she is, or something at the store, or someplace I'm going that I'd have taken JJ that I'm not taking Allie because she's too young and flighty... There's any number of reasons, but the bottom line is that she keeps showing up in my head. If anyone can tell me how long until that goes away, I'd really appreciate it.

Over all it's a lot better. The hole in my gut is shrinking some, and I'm able to think and talk about her without immediately crying. I still can't look outside at the tree where she's buried. One of these days I will, but the memory of wrapping her in Grandpa's handkerchief and putting her in the ground under the snow is still too fresh. (See? Now I'm getting teary again. Sad ) Does anyone wonder if they love their birds too much? I do. I wonder if my grief is abnormal... if it's abnormal to still cry when I think about those days and remember how much it hurt... if that much pain is abnormal... I know about ineffective coping, depression, all of that. I'm not doing any of that. I'm out and about, working, cleaning the house, etc. But I wonder about myself sometimes... I think of this... I love my dogs. I really do. But if one of them were to die, I'd be sad but I don't think I'd feel the same way that I did about JJ - and I've had my dogs for 6, 9 and 10+ years! You'd think that I'd be all devastated thinking about losing one of them, but I'm just not. And really, I'm finding myself going back and forth with Allie... for a while I'm really falling for her, then I realize what I'm doing and start backing off - I can't get too close because what if something happens to her too? I really fight that. We BOTH deserve better than that. But seriously, it's like what Deb said... I think if I hadn't jumped in and bought Allie-pants when I did, I would probably be out of the birdie game right now. The risk may be small, but the pain is terrible. It's hard to decide whether or not it's worth it sometimes.

Well, that's my update. Again, I'm not sure where it should go. I think I'll probably end up moving this thread to the Memorium section. I think it fits better there - plus, anyone will know that my ramblings are about my "recovery," such as it is. Smile

I hope that someone somewhere will get something from this. It's not easy, going through this process... learning where and how to tuck the memories away so they're safe and accessible, but not constantly painful, and figuring out how to make today work when it will never be the way you'd imagined it would be.... It's not easy, but it's something we all do on some level at some point in our life...

Hmmm... that gives me something to think about for next time. It's late and I'm going to sleep now.

Back to top Go down
dusty
Scarlet Macaw
dusty

sun conure (simon)
senegal (walter)
senegal (crockett)
goffin cockatoo (sammy)
severe macaw (cody)
quaker (yoshi)

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 8:35 am

time heals all wounds...until that time i share your pain...i know it is hard but be strong and never forget the good things about JJ...writing about her is a good thing...continue as you can

your friend
dusty
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 10:52 am

I often worry about Jake and myself, what would one of us do without the other. If something happened to me i guess Josie is a good sub. But couldn't imagine life without her.I understand when you talk about the dogs, i also love mine.With parrots we seem to have more "connection", i also think they "connect " more with us.I think your doing a fine job handling your situation, probably better than most of us would.I'd keep writing about her and your thoughts, i enjoy and appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
coral
Sun Conure
coral

My Birds : CAG-Mikko, Blue headed pionus- Marty, 11 finches

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 3:53 pm

im sorry your going through this but in the future youll still think about jj but it wont hurt as much and maybe instead of crying youll be able to smile and think about all the good memories you have of JJ. Not sure where to put this - Page 3 2271525164 its hard for me to think about what would happen if i lost marty but in the end one day he will pass away but i think that the time we spend together is going to outweigh how i feel when he passes. the good times you will have with allie and all the years you will get to spend with her will be worth it in the end Smile
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 4:22 pm

I can't beat what dusty said.

I definitely don't think you are abnormal. I'm still a little torn up about the loss of Ariel, my cat, but he was ill and aging so I had some time to prepare for it. I think it's extra hard when they are young and vibrant and then just gone.
Back to top Go down
dusty
Scarlet Macaw
dusty

sun conure (simon)
senegal (walter)
senegal (crockett)
goffin cockatoo (sammy)
severe macaw (cody)
quaker (yoshi)

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 4:32 pm

whoaaaa deb agrees with me...i am going out to buy lottery tickets...lol

just joking

dusty
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 6:56 pm

No Dusty, go for the ticket! Lol!
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 7:31 pm

Guys, sheesh! Embarassed Einstein
Back to top Go down
moa
Sun Conure
moa

My Birds : Rainbow and the unnamed gcc

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 9:32 pm

so sorry to hear about jj! I was devasted when my cockatiel died and I honestly didn't feel "right" until I brought home Rainbow... So congrats on getting Allie! (aren't yellow sided gcc pretty?) and I wish you happiness and the best of luck Not sure where to put this - Page 3 1839924927
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not sure where to put this   Not sure where to put this - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Not sure where to put this
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Parrot Paradise Forum :: Welcome :: Parrot Tales-
Jump to: