Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Good question, which is healthier?

Go down 
+7
Vikki
ScooterNScotty
kaeladedah
zazanomore
RogerP
VickiNumbers
GlassOnion
11 posters
AuthorMessage
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

Good question, which is healthier? Empty
PostSubject: Good question, which is healthier?   Good question, which is healthier? EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 5:50 pm

So about 4-5 days ago, I decided to clip 2 of Spice's outer primaries. She was going beserk and flying into windows and also it was impossible for me to put her in her cage when the cat's around because she's too fast! Spice can still fly straight and can gain a fair amount of altitude, just slower enough for me to have more control.

Now, the main point is... It obviously takes more effort to fly with clipped wings right? Since the clip, her breast muscles have significantly grown in size and now she has these thick, plump breasts that sorta stick out.

Clearly she's getting more exercise this way as opposed to being FULLY-flighted (mind you she can still fly well), so... what's healthier? Physically speaking, this new way seems to be a better workout, but I guess it also compromises her mental fulfilment.
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: Good question, which is healthier?   Good question, which is healthier? EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 7:19 pm

If she's not dead because you're able to put her safely away when the cats around, I'm going to say clipped is healthier.

Besides, who's to say that her mental fulfillment is being compromised? If she's still able to fly, how do you know that she's feeling compromised? You're only guessing at her mental state assuming that because she's working harder to obtain the same results that she's feeling like less of a bird (or something like that). Do birds flying against a strong headwind feel like a lesser bird when they fly slower than they usually do (or whatever).

I'm sure it's not the "exactly correct" analogy, but you get the idea. If she's still flying, I think she's more than likely OK emotionally. (Just my opinion.)
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Good question, which is healthier?   Good question, which is healthier? EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 8:16 pm

I am sure the desire to have a flock mate is harder on her then having to work a piglet harder to get where she is going.
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

My Birds : ~Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure
(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

~Arthur - Red Bellied Parrot
(Hatchdate January 7, 2009, rescued October 7, 2011)

PostSubject: Re: Good question, which is healthier?   Good question, which is healthier? EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 5:03 pm

Well said Vicki! I would agree!
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Good question, which is healthier?   Good question, which is healthier? EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 6:12 pm

I'm prejudiced. Flighted.
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Good question, which is healthier?   Good question, which is healthier? EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 11:53 am

I've been seriously debating clipping Piper and Pigpen, both of whom are a nightmare to put back and drive me crazy chewing at (and successfully removing) pieces of plaster from about my windows. Since my windows are 10ft. tall, I either have to throw things at them (which I don't like doing) or let them chew.

I have a hard time with clipping though. They look so happy flighted and it's really the only exercise they get.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Good question, which is healthier?   Good question, which is healthier? EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 11:58 am

Clipping isn't black and white -- flight or no flight. You can try clipping a little, as Anita did, and see what the result is. The main reason vets and stores don't like to do that is because it won't "guarantee no flyaway" if the bird is outside unharnessed and uncontained, but there is no reason you can't use a mild trim to limit range and still have a "flighted" bird.
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Good question, which is healthier?   Good question, which is healthier? EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 12:14 pm

Yeah, I know. But I still haven't been able to bring myself to do it.
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

My Birds : Sebastian - 7 yr old Harlequin Macaw
Arthur - 12 yr old Jardines Parrot
Pickle - 16 yr old Hahn's Macaw
Ecko - 26 yr old Hahn's Macaw

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

PostSubject: Re: Good question, which is healthier?   Good question, which is healthier? EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 5:55 pm

For tiny birds like Piper and Pigpen, its almost a moot point. They are so light that clipping usually does nothing. Clipping really only changes flight if the bird is large and heavy, like Sebastian... who flies like a rock when I clip him. LOL
Back to top Go down
http://www.voliveri.com
dusty
Scarlet Macaw
dusty

My Birds : congo african grey (coco)
blue fronted amazons (willie and vasgo)
sun conure (simon)
greencheeked conure (jack)
senegal (walter)
senegal (crockett)
goffin cockatoo (sammy)
moluccan cockatoo (mango)
severe macaw (cody)
quaker (yoshi)

PostSubject: Re: Good question, which is healthier?   Good question, which is healthier? EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 7:36 pm

it's the owners choice...there is no right or wrong...flighted or unflighted...it is whatever works best for you and the birds...myself i like flighted and am letting feathers grow back in...however my moluccan will remain clipped as i like taking him out in public...thats my 2 cents worth...lol...now to get off this damned soap box

dusty
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Good question, which is healthier?   Good question, which is healthier? EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 7:44 pm

Harness train your Moluccan, Dusty?

Kaela- Spice is only missing two primaries from each wing. She can fly, but no more than say, 15ft at one go.
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: Good question, which is healthier?   Good question, which is healthier? EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 8:08 pm

dusty wrote:
it's the owners choice...there is no right or wrong...flighted or unflighted...it is whatever works best for you and the birds...myself i like flighted and am letting feathers grow back in...however my moluccan will remain clipped as i like taking him out in public...thats my 2 cents worth...lol...now to get off this damned soap box

dusty
I totally agree with Dusty here!
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Good question, which is healthier?   Good question, which is healthier? EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 9:57 pm

KayLayUh wrote:
I've been seriously debating clipping Piper and Pigpen, both of whom are a nightmare to put back and drive me crazy chewing at (and successfully removing) pieces of plaster from about my windows. Since my windows are 10ft. tall, I either have to throw things at them (which I don't like doing) or let them chew.

I have a hard time with clipping though. They look so happy flighted and it's really the only exercise they get.

I now keep a chair by their hanging play area. So I can reach them if I absolutely have to. But really, my budgies go into their cage very easily. The only times I have problems, is if I let them out, then try to put them back right away. After they play for a while, they are quite content to go back.
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: Good question, which is healthier?   Good question, which is healthier? EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 2:09 am

Ok, so is this a discussion regarding what is healthier for Anita's bird given her particular situation or is it a debate regarding flighted vs. clipped? Because those two questions will receive two different answers from me.

I believe that flighted vs clipped is a question that doesnt have a single hard and fast answer. Each situation is different and must be considered on an individual basis. There is no blanket answer- ever (unless you count, "Let me look in to it.").

So if someone could kindly clarify the question, I'd gladly confirm or amend my answer!
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Good question, which is healthier?   Good question, which is healthier? EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 3:13 pm

It was about her sudden growth of strong breast muscles while slightly clipped VS her normal breast muscles while fully flighted. Basically physical gain VS mental gain.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Good question, which is healthier?   Good question, which is healthier? EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 3:08 pm

Don't see why she wouldn't also be mentally enriched by being stronger. It's like humans working out and building some strength - you feel "healthier", at least in your mind.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
o'TikaandAurora
Lovebird
o'TikaandAurora

My Birds : Tim (Red Wing Parrot)
Prince (Blue Princess Parrot)
Chicken (Pearl Gray Tiel)
Malolo (Cinnamon Pied Tiel)
Aurora (Yellow Sided GCC)
o'Tika (Pineapple GCC)

PostSubject: Re: Good question, which is healthier?   Good question, which is healthier? EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 2:51 am

We got Tika (GCC) a light clip a few months back, because she was so so so scared of our hands that she'd just fly away before she'd stop and think and realise we weren't gonna kill her and we weren't getting anywhere. Well now her clip has completely grown out and she's so much better, she doesn't just freak out when you approach her now, if you've approached her the right way and look her in the eye she sits and holds her foot out for you.
While it's nice to have our birds flighted all the time, sometimes being fully clipped or lightly clipped isn't the end of the world, you may find that with time being clipped Spice will learn that she needs to just go away when told, and won't need the clip anymore, but I'd seriously doubt that it is doing any damage
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good question, which is healthier?   Good question, which is healthier? Empty

Back to top Go down

Good question, which is healthier?
Page 1 of 1