Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Wild parrots of Australia!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
idlepirate
Lovebird
idlepirate

My Birds : Lorenzo - Blue Throat Conure

Wild parrots of Australia! Empty
PostSubject: Wild parrots of Australia!   Wild parrots of Australia! EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 2:29 pm

I want this on DVD!
for those of you which haven't seen this yet (maybe there is 1 or 2)

but it always eats me up inside seeing how a parrot should be living Crying or Very sad not locked up in limited space.
They look so happy out there...

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Bluethroatconure?feature=mhee
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Wild parrots of Australia!   Wild parrots of Australia! EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 2:40 pm

I've got a passion for all Australian parrots.

Seeing those budgie flocks, I could just die of cuteness!
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Wild parrots of Australia!   Wild parrots of Australia! EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 7:17 pm

Yes they look happy in the wild but it's not all a bowl of cherries,Most large parrots struggle to raise one offspring to maturity,many don't make it.It's a cruel world out there.
Back to top Go down
idlepirate
Lovebird
idlepirate

PostSubject: Re: Wild parrots of Australia!   Wild parrots of Australia! EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 10:54 am

henpecked wrote:
Yes they look happy in the wild but it's not all a bowl of cherries,Most large parrots struggle to raise one offspring to maturity,many don't make it.It's a cruel world out there.

True, there's always the pros and cons. I still wonder where they are the happiest. Although a pet parrot knows no better, I wonder if deep down inside when they look out the window, they dream of flying free Wild parrots of Australia! 1270972548
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Wild parrots of Australia!   Wild parrots of Australia! EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 3:58 pm

idlepirate wrote:

True, there's always the pros and cons. I still wonder where they are the happiest. Although a pet parrot knows no better, I wonder if deep down inside when they look out the window, they dream of flying free

I really don't think so. On the one hand, I don't think they have the same level of ability to imagine life being different than it is. On the other, if they did and were unhappy, why would they hide it?

I think one reason companion animals are so good for people is that they live in the moment far more than we are ever able to. If a dog or cat loses a limb, they generally don't pine away and get bitter, they figure out how to get on with their lives and work around it. When our pets get old and ill, they keep doing the things they love until they can't anymore.

Also, when we picture the wild horse running across the plains, we tend to imagine that it is thinking about the wind streaming through it's mane and the joy of flexing its muscles. But in all likelihood it is cold, it's feet are hurting, it is hungry, it is running in fear of a predator. It's life span is 1/3 that of its "restricted" cousin, it will have intestinal parasites all it's life... likewise, I suspect the wild budgies are thinking about he food they are off to forage for, not the wind rushing through their wings... it's how we like to imagine we'd be if we were "free" without daily cares... but they have their daily cares, we just have trouble imagining what it would be like to live off the land without any of our modern conveniences and in constant danger.
Back to top Go down
idlepirate
Lovebird
idlepirate

PostSubject: Re: Wild parrots of Australia!   Wild parrots of Australia! EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 8:56 pm

I quite like that theory actually, makes sense:)
I don't think parrots are necessarily unhappy or imagine another life...i'm wondering if they rather just feel like something is missing...if that makes sense:) they will continue as normal and get on with life of course...but they still have instinct built into them. like in breeding season...I wonder if they know they are supposed to have a mate.
They are spoilt and cared for in our homes and have their food prepared for them, toys given, etc...they just lack the freedom and company of a massive flock, freedom to breed when they please,etc.

In the wild, yes there are risks of predators, lack of food, bringing up young...as well as poachers and the destruction of their natural habitat.

I guess like with your horse metaphor... I agree that we might imagine what we want them to be thinking but nobody is ever too sure.

We at least all care and look after our birds properly and give them the best lives we can. unlike those who are kept in a cage all their life, without toys, decent diet, hardly any interaction....etc.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wild parrots of Australia!   Wild parrots of Australia! Empty

Back to top Go down

Wild parrots of Australia!
Page 1 of 1