Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Introducing the new fids?

Go down 
+2
zazanomore
Pretty_Poe
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Pretty_Poe
Sun Conure
Pretty_Poe

My Birds : Poe - Yellow Sided GCC
Doppler - Pearl Whiteface Cockatiel

Introducing the new fids? Empty
PostSubject: Introducing the new fids?   Introducing the new fids? EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 11:42 am

So, we now have Doppler and Poe in the same room. They sing and scream at each other from across the living room for hours every day.

We've been trying to keep them from getting too close to each other as Doppler is still adjusting, and doesn't seem to like much of anything except me and the zippers on my hoodies.

Over the weekend while I had Doppler on the couch with me, Poe - being the spoiled brat that he is and having free reign of the living room most of the time - decided to flutter over and visit for awhile. I figured it would be a good opportunity to see how they would respond to each other. The answer is: Not well.

Poe seems genuinely interested in Doppler and it appears that he just wants a buddy to help him with those durned pin feathers on his head (the molt is going pretty good now, he's got a new tail feather starting). Doppler - on the other hand - seems terrified of Poe. There was hissing, lunging of 'tiel head, maneuvering down the couch to escape... all that fun stuff.

A few hours later Poe took it upon himself to go visit Doppler's new digs. Doppler's response was less violent and terrified, but he still kept his distance from Poe.

Over the course of the weekend, there were a few instances where Poe "got all up in" Doppler's face, and each time Doppler's reaction is a little less vehement, but he still hisses, avoids, etc etc etc.

Now, with my cats this wouldn't bother me. I would just assume that new cat wants to prove dominance over old cat due to fear, unfamiliar territory, etc etc. In time, Cat A and Cat B will work it out. If they don't come to love each other, they will eventually come to tolerate and/or avoid each other.

Now that my spiel is done, my question is whether or not it's normal for the aggressive reaction Doppler is giving and if he may eventually overcome it; or if this is going to be how he feels about Poe forever, and we should begin keeping them separate completely (separate out of cage time, cuddle time, play time etc etc)?
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Introducing the new fids?   Introducing the new fids? EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 1:10 pm

I wouldn't really call this cockatiel aggression. It's kind of how they react to new stuff.

You said that each time he seems less and less scared. I'd take this as a good sign.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Introducing the new fids?   Introducing the new fids? EmptyTue May 01, 2012 12:11 am

There are no feathers flying and no loss of blood. . . They're fine. They just need time to get used to each other. Cool
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
Pretty_Poe
Sun Conure
Pretty_Poe

PostSubject: Re: Introducing the new fids?   Introducing the new fids? EmptyTue May 01, 2012 11:03 am

You have soothed my worried heart. Merci! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dusty
Scarlet Macaw
dusty

My Birds : congo african grey (coco)
blue fronted amazons (willie and vasgo)
sun conure (simon)
greencheeked conure (jack)
senegal (walter)
senegal (crockett)
goffin cockatoo (sammy)
moluccan cockatoo (mango)
severe macaw (cody)
quaker (yoshi)

PostSubject: Re: Introducing the new fids?   Introducing the new fids? EmptyTue May 01, 2012 12:20 pm

what is happening is natural and will diminish with time...just watch them

dusty
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: Introducing the new fids?   Introducing the new fids? EmptyWed May 02, 2012 5:12 am

At least Poe isn't trying to take off Dopplers head, which is what Allie is doing to Pippin. I swear, it's a good thing Pippin is flighted and Allie isn't or one of them would be in a cage all the time. Allie goes after Pip with no holds barred! Ugh!
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
Pretty_Poe
Sun Conure
Pretty_Poe

PostSubject: Re: Introducing the new fids?   Introducing the new fids? EmptyWed May 02, 2012 10:32 am

VickiNumbers wrote:
At least Poe isn't trying to take off Dopplers head, which is what Allie is doing to Pippin. I swear, it's a good thing Pippin is flighted and Allie isn't or one of them would be in a cage all the time. Allie goes after Pip with no holds barred! Ugh!

Yes. Yes, I am very happy that this is not happening.

It's more like Poe wanting to say "hi" and hang out, and Doppler going "WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?!"
Back to top Go down
BratBirds
Parrotlet
BratBirds

My Birds : Timneh African Grey-Peanut
Sun Conure-Skittles
Tiel-Mariah

PostSubject: Re: Introducing the new fids?   Introducing the new fids? EmptyWed May 02, 2012 12:38 pm

I agree, normal behavior. As long as you have complete control of their meetings they may and I mean MAY work things out and be able to tolerate each other ~ if not become friends. My first Tiel and my Sun played together well. My Sun and Tag did well for the first couple of years. Now that the TAG has matured they tolerate each other well enough to be out together, but there is no longer any playing together. They both will sit on me and even wait turns to get treats. I think that is great and ask for no more. LOL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Introducing the new fids?   Introducing the new fids? Empty

Back to top Go down

Introducing the new fids?
Page 1 of 1