Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Members w/ Kids & Fids

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

Members w/ Kids & Fids Empty
PostSubject: Members w/ Kids & Fids   Members w/ Kids & Fids EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 7:08 pm

I'm formulating a blog post about integrating fids and kids. Those of you with fids (feathered and furred) and kids; or even if you don't, but have a thought on the matter; or if you're a kid with a fid or family fid -

I'd appreciate any tips and insight into life with kids and fids - how did you prepare? Are there any rules that work for you? Management tips? Obstacles? Anything you can think of.

THANKS!!
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Members w/ Kids & Fids   Members w/ Kids & Fids EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 8:33 pm

I have kids, but when toddler was a baby I only had a pair of cockatiels. They probably weren't as demanding as most. Toddler has never known life without birds and my oldest doesn't either, though he was pre-school age and very understanding and respectful.

Kokomo came from a home with a small child, Sparrow doesn't know any different being a baby himself, and Juniper hated the kids to they didn't mess with her. Aruba is scared of all of us.

Basically, I don't think I count.
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Members w/ Kids & Fids   Members w/ Kids & Fids EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 9:06 pm

Hey Bean, I think you count
Roz, don't know what to say ,,ask me a question..there's no substitute for a well socialized bird.(and family)
I do think fids/kids aren't an issue to families with longtime owners and are to newbies who don't realize who they're dealing with yet..LOL What was a good point that Deb brought up. She always does.

Last edited by henpecked on Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Members w/ Kids & Fids   Members w/ Kids & Fids EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 9:13 pm

Here is what I think...

Members w/ Kids & Fids Sparrowkeats
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Members w/ Kids & Fids   Members w/ Kids & Fids EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 9:36 pm

Julsie - OMG!! That is such a cute pic!!!
Yes, you count!

To both of you, and everyone else - management. Management tips? Like any particular schedules? Rules for both kids and fids? Capt - What do you remember your mom doing?

EC was saying the pets have always been around. They're almost like having sibs and she's the alpha sib.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Members w/ Kids & Fids   Members w/ Kids & Fids EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 9:47 pm

I don't know, I've never been one to keep to a strict sched. My kids are always open and willing to going anywhere and doing anything. I like that they are very well adjusted and can go with the flow- so can my birds. I MADE time for the fids, like instead of reading and drinking a glass of wine- I hung out with the tiels. We made caring for the birds a "chore" with the boys very early on. Helping change the paper or wipe the cage is just as normal to my two year old as putting up his toys. I keep everyone involved.

I feel like I am just typing unhelpful trash.
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Members w/ Kids & Fids   Members w/ Kids & Fids EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 10:08 pm

I can definitely see EC's analogy, and i agree.Things i remember...We were early risers and the bird was always a big part of the morning ,Breakfast ,kids bickering,going to school,dogs barking that sort of thing .Remember this was a perch bird ,who had perches everywhere, outside alot during the day,and a quiet place at night (like the laundry room).I remember the bird going places like the beach,picnics that stuff but not bird hunting.I know we traveled in the car alot but don't recall the bird being and issue,an issue in a few restaurants but not every where back then.My father trained bird dogs and we always had large dogs around but every body always seemed under control.We had a Red dobie who would guard us kids at the beach ,put a rope in a circle on the ground and the dog would keep every one inside the rope.Back to the bird.I think she (Juanita) went places and did things before we kids came about and that helped her to cope with new things (like Kids).There's no substitute for a well socialized bird. And exactly like Julsie said we always had chores taking care of Juanita was one of them.When you went outside you always checked on Juanita and my mother would ask when you came back in "Juanita OK ?"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Members w/ Kids & Fids   Members w/ Kids & Fids Empty

Back to top Go down

Members w/ Kids & Fids
Page 1 of 1