Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Question!!!! Of some form of slight importance... Possibly

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Pretty_Poe
Sun Conure
Pretty_Poe

My Birds : Poe - Yellow Sided GCC
Doppler - Pearl Whiteface Cockatiel

Question!!!!  Of some form of slight importance... Possibly Empty
PostSubject: Question!!!! Of some form of slight importance... Possibly   Question!!!!  Of some form of slight importance... Possibly EmptyFri Aug 31, 2012 11:55 pm

So, with moving into the new house I got myself all excited and decided I want.......

A PUPPY Question!!!!  Of some form of slight importance... Possibly 4014162036

I was met with a counter offer from the hubs: A black cap conure (if we can get one).

I LEPT on it. Question!!!!  Of some form of slight importance... Possibly 2154879677

The question now is: Do we need to worry about GCC and Black cap cross breeds if we end up with a female Question!!!!  Of some form of slight importance... Possibly 419367009 ? We can have it DNA sexed with the breeder we're looking at, and we would like to avoid any babies if we can.

I feel so silly asking if GCCs and Black Caps can breed.... but it's a serious concern!

4srs
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Question!!!! Of some form of slight importance... Possibly   Question!!!!  Of some form of slight importance... Possibly EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 3:07 am

Hmmmm. It is also a Pyrrhura so perhaps, but I doubt you get viable offspring. Would you plan to house them together? There is no guarantee theyd get along, even if it was a female...
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Question!!!! Of some form of slight importance... Possibly   Question!!!!  Of some form of slight importance... Possibly EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 10:17 am

I am nearly positive that they can, and I'm fairly certain I've seen the resulting cross in pictures somewhere.
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: Question!!!! Of some form of slight importance... Possibly   Question!!!!  Of some form of slight importance... Possibly EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 7:27 pm

Green Cheeks and Black Caps can mate and form hybrids. However, it's fairly easy to prevent that even if you end up with a girl. I'm avoiding mating with Allie and Micky by not allowing them to share a cage - especially at night! At night, they have two separate sleeping cages - they're tiny, maybe 15x15x24h and they're separated visually by a towel I've hung between them. During the day, there are absolutely no cozy little hiding nooks for them to run off to, and if they DO try to arrange a tryst, I un-tryst them. Twisted Evil (So far, I've not seen anything like that though.) For the most part, all I've seen are two birds who love each other a whole bunch! They preen each other like there's no tomorrow and are rarely seen separated.

Debs right though - there isn't a guarantee they'd get along, so I'd certainly have alternate plans for housing if cohabitation was Plan A! That said, Most of the GCCs and BCs I've seen have been sooooo lovey towards other Pyhurras that I wouldn't expect a problem. I could honestly just throw every one of our little conures in the same flight when they come in to board and they'd all just have a great-big-old Pyhurra-Party! Probably the only reason we didn't is because we couldn't tell any of them apart when mom and dad came to pick them up. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
Pretty_Poe
Sun Conure
Pretty_Poe

My Birds : Poe - Yellow Sided GCC
Doppler - Pearl Whiteface Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: Question!!!! Of some form of slight importance... Possibly   Question!!!!  Of some form of slight importance... Possibly EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 10:38 pm

Thanks everyone!

The plan is to not house them together - but as long as they like each other, they will certainly be spending a lot of time together!

To prevent any ... unwanted grandfids ... we've decided to get Poe DNA sexed in the next few months, and then seek out another Pyhurra of the same gender. We'd like "him" to have a buddy .... not a lover.

Speaking of fid Genders - Doppler is most certainly a boy. Not only did he lose his pearling, but he has also discovered how to .... uhm .... spend his alone time Question!!!!  Of some form of slight importance... Possibly 2277367267
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question!!!! Of some form of slight importance... Possibly   Question!!!!  Of some form of slight importance... Possibly Empty

Back to top Go down

Question!!!! Of some form of slight importance... Possibly
Page 1 of 1