Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

how do you take your birds outside?

Go down 
+13
MandaDPanda
Parrots4Life
flappinhappy
zazanomore
Vikki
kaeladedah
henpecked
evil chicken
patdbunny
atlanon
RogerP
Margaret
moa
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

how do you guys
carrier
how do you take your birds outside? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap21%how do you take your birds outside? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 21% [ 6 ]
cage
how do you take your birds outside? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap17%how do you take your birds outside? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 17% [ 5 ]
aviary
how do you take your birds outside? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap3%how do you take your birds outside? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 3% [ 1 ]
harness
how do you take your birds outside? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap28%how do you take your birds outside? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 28% [ 8 ]
clipped and no harness
how do you take your birds outside? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap28%how do you take your birds outside? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 28% [ 8 ]
I don't take my bird outside
how do you take your birds outside? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap3%how do you take your birds outside? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 3% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 29

AuthorMessage
MandaDPanda
Indian Ringneck
MandaDPanda

My Birds : Aries - Sun Conure Smile

how do you take your birds outside? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: how do you take your birds outside?   how do you take your birds outside? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 9:59 pm

I'm working on getting a harness for Aries so he can be flighted. He used to go outside clipped with no harness, never had a problem. Then the great spook happened and I trust him a little less outside. He goes out in his "outside" cage and loves it. I want to get him a bigger one Wink

I think with the bigger birds, they just have more confidence and chill because they're bigger. LOL They don't need to worry about bugging out because they'll break your wrist if you're mean. LOL
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: how do you take your birds outside?   how do you take your birds outside? - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 10:03 pm

JJ goes out in her "Cobrathon" (Aviator harness)
Bucky goes out clipped, no harness, but I'm in the process of harness training him before his primary flights start coming in.
Posei goes out in a cage. Since he cant fly at all, when he tries to fly he crashes and splats. It's not pretty. His cage is safer.

Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
coldtrance
Parrotlet
coldtrance

My Birds : Im lonely without my Sammy.
On the market for a new FID.

PostSubject: Re: how do you take your birds outside?   how do you take your birds outside? - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 4:50 pm

In response to Roz's post about the zoo I work for,

The birds are pinioned so therefore cannot fly, and are also trained to remain on their perches. But they have been known to come off their perch, which in that event we have security stand by until a bird keeper arrives to place the bird back on its perch. The green wing macaws at the first perch are known to climb the trees that they are next to. We usually bribe them with treats to make them come back down. The hyacinth is very people friendly and likes to say hello to everyone. Hes known for climbing off of his perch and "playing pirate" as we call it. He likes to ride on people. We also have a cockatoo that is in our plant gift shop who has a play gym that he stays on throughout the day. Hes actually allowed to wander off of his perch to th base of his play gym. He is a known biter though and is not in any way friendly with strangers.

All of our bird that are not contained in an aviary are pinioned, and all of our flighted birds are in aviaries or our behavior compound where we house our animal ambassadors.

Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: how do you take your birds outside?   how do you take your birds outside? - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 10:08 pm

coldtrance wrote:
In response to Roz's post about the zoo I work for,

The birds are pinioned so therefore cannot fly, and are also trained to remain on their perches. But they have been known to come off their perch, which in that event we have security stand by until a bird keeper arrives to place the bird back on its perch. The green wing macaws at the first perch are known to climb the trees that they are next to. We usually bribe them with treats to make them come back down. The hyacinth is very people friendly and likes to say hello to everyone. Hes known for climbing off of his perch and "playing pirate" as we call it. He likes to ride on people. We also have a cockatoo that is in our plant gift shop who has a play gym that he stays on throughout the day. Hes actually allowed to wander off of his perch to th base of his play gym. He is a known biter though and is not in any way friendly with strangers.

All of our bird that are not contained in an aviary are pinioned, and all of our flighted birds are in aviaries or our behavior compound where we house our animal ambassadors.
yahoo yahoo yahoo yahoo flappinhappy flappinhappy Happy Happy Happy
I'm making a trip to the Safari Park soon!!!!!!!!!!!
You guys had a pair of CAGs in the butterfly aviary back in November. One of them I almost got to fly to me. He/She seemed very friendly and when I raised my arm he/she acted like he wanted to come to me. My husband basically shoo'd me off before I could get him to fly to me.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: how do you take your birds outside?   how do you take your birds outside? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 12:24 am

Husband? Figured you we're too onery for one of them?
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: how do you take your birds outside?   how do you take your birds outside? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 12:31 am

henpecked wrote:
Husband? Figured you we're too onery for one of them?
Yeah! Well, he would COMPLETELY agree with you. But he's stuck. Poor guy.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: how do you take your birds outside?   how do you take your birds outside? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 12:36 am

Hey ,if you've got lemons , make lemonaid.
Back to top Go down
Kokuhteel
Budgerigar
Kokuhteel

My Birds : tiels

PostSubject: Re: how do you take your birds outside?   how do you take your birds outside? - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 2:05 pm

I use a travel cage or carrier.
Back to top Go down
wyspur
Parrotlet
wyspur

My Birds : 7 parakeets, 6 tiels, and two crazy Caiques
wyspurcreations is a sanctuary for small birds with special needs.

PostSubject: Re: how do you take your birds outside?   how do you take your birds outside? - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 8:18 pm

My Aviary ;o)
how do you take your birds outside? - Page 2 3622300513_7d407ea498
Back to top Go down
http://www.wyspurcreations.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how do you take your birds outside?   how do you take your birds outside? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

how do you take your birds outside?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2