Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Need advice before I kill a coworker

Go down 
+5
Nevermore
henpecked
ScooterNScotty
GlassOnion
Vikki
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

My Birds : Sebastian - 7 yr old Harlequin Macaw
Arthur - 12 yr old Jardines Parrot
Pickle - 16 yr old Hahn's Macaw
Ecko - 26 yr old Hahn's Macaw

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

Need advice before I kill a coworker Empty
PostSubject: Need advice before I kill a coworker   Need advice before I kill a coworker EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 11:34 am

OK, I need some advice before I lose my freakin mind….

There’s a woman in my office (and I use that term lightly) who is so absolutely annoying that I want to slap the crap out of her when I even see her (and I am not alone there)

It’s bad enough that she’s 40 and acts like she’s 12 (she shows up at meetings with purple pens with big feathers on them and Hello kitty notebooks) but she’s as tall as she is round and brags about how she was an athlete and all this crap, which no one needs to hear. Not that I’m a beauty queen, but I’m also not delusional.

The annoying part… she’s our admin, does our paperwork and filing and what not, and she somehow wrapped our director around her finger and when things get overloaded and stressful, she gets all dramatic, starts to cry and he expects us to “cut her slack” because she’s more sensitive than we are. (??) To top it off, it’s all an act. She’s the nosiest, most hate-filled person I’ve ever met and she’s already gotten three people fired in the last two years by crying to our manager about something they said or did (that she found out by eavesdropping)

If that’s not bad enough, she has our manager convinced that she and I are friends and she hovers like I want anything to do with her. I will be having a conversation with someone and she will eavesdrop, get up from her desk across the room and join in like it had anything to do with her. I’ve actually had her butt into conversations I’ve been having with clients to the extent that I had to go into a conference room and shut the door to avoid her intrusion! She also has the most annoying habit of coming by my desk to drop off paperwork and she will literally stand behind me, pretend to start a conversation with me and read what’s on my screens. A few times, she has actually stopped talking because she’s reading my emails over my shoulder and I’ve turned around a few times and said “Do you mind?” and she will either laugh it off and leave or she’ll have the balls to say “I don’t mean to pry but…” and comment on something I’ve written!!!

I’ve reported this several times to my manager and he’s blown it off as my being overdramatic, taking it too personal and that I should be the adult and ignore her. Ignoring her doesn’t work because she’s clueless and inherently nosey and annoying. I’ve mentioned it to HR, and they said to address it with her directly. The last time I did that, she went crying to the manager and he reprimanded me for being too harsh.

I swear, I’m going to throttle this person and I will take so much pleasure that the jail time will be well worth it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.voliveri.com
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: Need advice before I kill a coworker   Need advice before I kill a coworker EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 1:50 pm

I would voice record incidents as well as get several other people who feels the same way.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Need advice before I kill a coworker   Need advice before I kill a coworker EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 2:22 pm

What's your field? Do you have annual performance reviews of some sort? Who does hers? What's your workspace like? I'm picturing open cubes.

If the boss is her line management and he's happy with her, it is likely your choices are to suck it up and go about your business to the best of your ability or look for another position. Unless you have VERY desirable credentials, the latter might not be feasible in this economy. A voodoo doll kit (someone gave me one of these once in not entirely dissimilar circumstances) may help, it sounds like you have plenty of material to be creative with it!

If she's really nasty and backstabbing, unless the Director is sleeping with her, she'll probably eventually put her foot in it with him. Actually, even if she is sleeping with him, but it might take longer.

YOU need to be the good cop here. Are you dealing with stuff that's so sensitive that it is a problem from a work standpoint that she's reading over your shoulder? Can you get one of those monitor screens that limits the angle from which you can read the screen? Set it up so the font looks tiny and turn the brightness down. Can you rearrange your workspace so you are generally facing her most traveled path? I HATE having my back to a door, for example, I tend to set up workspace so I'm facing the entrance with my monitor between me and it. Gives me time to blank the screen if there's something not for general consumption on it. Plus I hate being snuck up on.

She does sound really annoying, but I can almost guarantee if you try to get her censured or fired, you'll wind up looking like the big mean ogre rather than the victim. However, quietly asking for accommodations to your workspace that minimize the problem may get the message across, actually help you deal with the problem, and leave you looking like the reasonable one.

And about the voodoo doll... dart board... venting... anything that helps you cope is fine.
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Need advice before I kill a coworker   Need advice before I kill a coworker EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 4:40 pm

You can do what I do.....i take them fishing,,,just don't always bring them back.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Need advice before I kill a coworker   Need advice before I kill a coworker EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 5:34 pm

The answer is obvious. Let a cockatoo loose in her car...she will never know...
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Need advice before I kill a coworker   Need advice before I kill a coworker EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 6:02 pm

Hey bean,i was going to suggest covering her in peanut butter and locking her in the too room.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Need advice before I kill a coworker   Need advice before I kill a coworker EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 6:49 pm

I like how you think Capt!!!
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

My Birds : Sebastian - 7 yr old Harlequin Macaw
Arthur - 12 yr old Jardines Parrot
Pickle - 16 yr old Hahn's Macaw
Ecko - 26 yr old Hahn's Macaw

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

PostSubject: Re: Need advice before I kill a coworker   Need advice before I kill a coworker EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 7:08 pm

I do too, LOL Unfortunately none of it is possible. Our office is a bank of large cubes and there's no way to turn my PC. Manager won't allow us to buy privacy screens for our monitors because they are too expensive and as mentioned, she has them in her pocket and she's annoying everyone with her little drama. We've collectively complained to HR about her and have collectively mentioned her antics in her reviews and in both cases we were basically told we were being whiny babies and to grow up... when she's the one acting like a child.
Back to top Go down
http://www.voliveri.com
Nevermore
Cockatiel

My Birds : Captain Jack Parrot: Green-cheeked Conure

Cheeky/Sir Cheeks - Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: Need advice before I kill a coworker   Need advice before I kill a coworker EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 7:09 pm

...why only ONE Cockatoo? A FLOCK Would be more fun!

Last edited by Nevermore on Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nevermore
Cockatiel

My Birds : Captain Jack Parrot: Green-cheeked Conure

Cheeky/Sir Cheeks - Cockatiel

PostSubject: Re: Need advice before I kill a coworker   Need advice before I kill a coworker EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 7:12 pm

I'd be very tempted to do this...

If shes reading your e-mails over your shoulder. Stop writing whatever it is you are writing, and start writing a message to her.

"Hey, About that file you just sent. it is the wrong.....STOP READING MY E-MAILS YOU FREAK!"

....or show up randomly at HER desk and do exactly the same thing she does to you, to her.

Of course. Regardless of being fun, that would also have a good chance of making things worse.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Need advice before I kill a coworker   Need advice before I kill a coworker EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 7:49 pm

Nevermore wrote:
I'd be very tempted to do this...

If shes reading your e-mails over your shoulder. Stop writing whatever it is you are writing, and start writing a message to her.

"Hey, About that file you just sent. it is the wrong.....STOP READING MY E-MAILS YOU FREAK!"

Now that has the potential to be both amusing and effective. I like it! "DID YOU KNOW YOUR HAIR IS ON FIRE AND YOUR UNDERWEAR ARE SHOWING?"
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Need advice before I kill a coworker   Need advice before I kill a coworker EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 10:03 pm

Do you have health insurance? Start going to the doctor and complain about work related stress. Get a psych referral and complain about work related stress. Then let HR know you're seeing the doctor and in therapy for work related stress. Talk to the doctors and psych about the hostile work environment. Keep HR updated about work related stress and hostile work environment. Keep it all closely documented.

Then sue the sh*t out of them.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Need advice before I kill a coworker   Need advice before I kill a coworker EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 10:19 pm

Where were you at the start of this thread. That's the best answer yet.
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

My Birds : ~Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure
(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

~Arthur - Red Bellied Parrot
(Hatchdate January 7, 2009, rescued October 7, 2011)

PostSubject: Re: Need advice before I kill a coworker   Need advice before I kill a coworker EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 1:37 am

patdbunny wrote:
Do you have health insurance? Start going to the doctor and complain about work related stress. Get a psych referral and complain about work related stress. Then let HR know you're seeing the doctor and in therapy for work related stress. Talk to the doctors and psych about the hostile work environment. Keep HR updated about work related stress and hostile work environment. Keep it all closely documented.

Then sue the sh*t out of them.

I like it, I like it, I like it! Of course, then you end up on the case load of a Disability Manager (like me) and I have to find a way to get you back to work! Oh well....
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Need advice before I kill a coworker   Need advice before I kill a coworker EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 12:36 pm

If Vikki has a decent HR department, they'll understand what she's getting at at the first mention of "I want it in my file that I'm going to a shrink for work related stress/hostile work environment due to managements inaction with regards to the 40 year old who acts like an 8 year old. . ." and take it seriously that they have a problem.

Would be best if she can get all the other co-workers who have a problem with the same woman to do the same so HR has a paper trail that it's not just Vikki.

Keep a little notebook in your pocket. Every time this woman intrudes/does something inappropriate, whip out the little notebook (right in front of her is fine), note the date, time and details of the activity. If she asks what you're doing tell her you're documenting for HR and your shrink.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Need advice before I kill a coworker   Need advice before I kill a coworker EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 3:18 pm

Personally, I'd only go that far if I was so P.O.d at the organization that I wanted to make an example of it AND if I never wanted to work there again. I probably wouldn't even consider a lawsuit unless there was seriously bad stuff going on, physical abuse or stuff that permanently damages a career, really mean stuff, criminal stuff. I have a strong aversion to misuse of litigation and honestly I'd consider this in that category. She's annoying, REALLY annoying, but I'd document my complaints and then try to make the best of it. Trying to make money off that situation or blackmail HR into firing her... it's fun to think about I guess, but actually doing it wouldn't sit very well with me. I don't mind being a troublemaker when I'm fighting for a positive outcome, but fighting for someone else to lose a job and possibly a home and a family and a life... not my cup of tea. I would not feel good about myself. Then again, I'm the kind of person that hands in found money, tells the cashier if they've made a mistake in my favor and puts the shopping carts back where they belong. In this case I really think I'd either be job hunting, or taking the moral high road, covering my ass, and waiting for the roof to fall on her. If she's that bad, it eventually will.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Need advice before I kill a coworker   Need advice before I kill a coworker EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 5:53 pm

I guess I just don't see it as abusing the litigation system when the work environment is so bad that it's giving you high blood pressure, etc. That's what the system's there for or else you just wouldn't be able to bring suit on that subject matter.

I was at a job that gave me blood pressure issues. I seriously thought I'd have to get medicated. I quit that job and my blood pressure went back to normal within two weeks and hasn't been high since.

If it's bothering Vikki enough to ask for suggestions on how to deal, it's a little more serious than just venting that her co-worker's an annoying idiot.

Just my opinion.

Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Need advice before I kill a coworker   Need advice before I kill a coworker EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 7:05 pm

Roz, I totally respect your opinion, I'm just inclined to disagree. I see legal action as a very last resort in general, and that's something I feel pretty strongly about. I think maybe it's just very hard from afar to know when the right answer is taking up meditation or litigation. I'm anti-litigation to start with, l so I'm more inclined to go the meditation route. MHO, and really Vikki's the only one who really knows what the right answer is...
Back to top Go down
MandaDPanda
Indian Ringneck
MandaDPanda

My Birds : Aries - Sun Conure Smile

PostSubject: Re: Need advice before I kill a coworker   Need advice before I kill a coworker EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 5:40 pm

I read the "sue the crap out of them" as a last resort after going to a doc/shrink and noting everything and making HR aware. It'd be after another period of time if something doesn't get resolved and there is no mediation.

Put a whoopie cushion at her desk...a small one. Priceless.

In all seriousness though, when she walks up, hit the power button your screen and turn around to talk to her. If she asks you why, say you were in the middle of something and now that she would like to talk to you have lost your train of thought. Now she can have your undivided attention for the duration of your conversation, but that it must be brief, because you have work to get done. Document the crap out of what you've asked her to get done, the deadlines and when she's actually done them. If she's not over worked, just lazy, this will totally keep you on the right side and not just being petty and whiny. Paper trail that affects that company may be your best bet.

And again..whoopie cushion. Wink
Back to top Go down
crystalsbirdtoys
Senegal
crystalsbirdtoys

My Birds : African Grey - Merlin
Caique - Rosco
Cockatiel - Stryder

PostSubject: Re: Need advice before I kill a coworker   Need advice before I kill a coworker EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 10:00 am

Back to top Go down
http://www.crystalsbirdtoys.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need advice before I kill a coworker   Need advice before I kill a coworker Empty

Back to top Go down

Need advice before I kill a coworker
Page 1 of 1