Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pictures of the Found Bird

Go down 
+5
Margaret
zazanomore
RogerP
kaeladedah
ScooterNScotty
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

Pictures of the Found Bird Empty
PostSubject: Pictures of the Found Bird   Pictures of the Found Bird EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 11:26 pm

Tentatively named Blanco or Micah for an ultrarunner acquaintence of Bill's who went missing last week and whose body was found last night... bird showed up this morning....

Pictures of the Found Bird FoundTiel1
Pictures of the Found Bird FoundTiel2
Pictures of the Found Bird FoundTiel3
Pictures of the Found Bird FoundTiel4
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of the Found Bird   Pictures of the Found Bird EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 11:39 pm

She looks quite fond of your husband!
Back to top Go down
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

My Birds : ~Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure
(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

~Arthur - Red Bellied Parrot
(Hatchdate January 7, 2009, rescued October 7, 2011)

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of the Found Bird   Pictures of the Found Bird EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 12:43 am

Certainly looks well looked after! Hope she is from a store or breeder and not someone's pet. Lucky you (and Bill)!
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of the Found Bird   Pictures of the Found Bird EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 9:48 am

ScooterNScotty wrote:
Tentatively named Blanco or Micah for an ultrarunner acquaintence of Bill's who went missing last week and whose body was found last night... bird showed up this morning....

Pictures of the Found Bird FoundTiel1
Pictures of the Found Bird FoundTiel2
Pictures of the Found Bird FoundTiel3
Pictures of the Found Bird FoundTiel4

Poor little fella. I'm glad you were the ones to find him. Breaks my heart that he's separated from his family, looks like my little Einstein Sad

kaeladedah wrote:
She looks quite fond of your husband!

*he. Female white faces don't have white faces.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of the Found Bird   Pictures of the Found Bird EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 1:15 pm

I'll keep looking on Craigslist for a week or two, he really wants to be with people, but he doesn't seem to have much training. Hard to tell where he came from. I may never get over looking out the bedroom window and seeing that face looking back at me, it was so bizzarre!
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of the Found Bird   Pictures of the Found Bird EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 1:31 pm

You should also take into account that whomever had him prior just let him go because they no longer wanted him. If there's no ads placed looking for a cockatiel, I would say that's pretty likely.
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of the Found Bird   Pictures of the Found Bird EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 11:49 am

I love him/her!!!

Chico is in love with Einstein, but Mickey Wink

I look positive at everything lately, that bird land on tree April 1st, it have to be a good sign! Smart 'tiel, knew where to land Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of the Found Bird   Pictures of the Found Bird EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 3:03 pm

Yah, I think he has a home. I've done everything I can think of to locate an owner short of placing a found ad.

He's not enjoying quarantine at all. He's very social, but seems completely untrained, just gregarious. He is named Caballo Blanco after an Ultra-runner friend of Bill's who went missing end of last week and whose body was found the same day we found the bird. He's a bit more superstitious than I am. We have a vet appointment for him Saturday. Hopefully he'll be found to be as healthy as he seems to be. No way of knowing how long he was on the loose.

He's VERY flighted and has an annoying habit of flying to your shoulder or head and then not wanting to go back into the cage. I'm worried he'll go missing again during our house move if we don't trim him back, but unlike our other birds he's clearly used to flying, although he has none of the skills I'd want a flying bird to have, such as harness wearing and recall. I'm wondering about trimming him back a little at a time so it doesn't shock him too much. I have to say, though, that so far all the flying he has done has been to get to a person's shoulder.
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of the Found Bird   Pictures of the Found Bird EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 3:06 pm

ScooterNScotty wrote:

He's VERY flighted and has an annoying habit of flying to your shoulder or head and then not wanting to go back into the cage.

CB does this. When he wants attention, he will fly to your shoulder or head and not want to move. Unfortunately, this is often as you're walking to the bathroom, trying to cook, or about to try to get him to sleep.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of the Found Bird   Pictures of the Found Bird EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 4:07 pm

I wouldn't clip Cockatiels. They are very, very clumsy and suck at moving around in general. Their bodies are built for long flight and ground foraging. Apple sucks at even the simplest task such as climbing the cage bars, and often he'll make a mistake and fall to the floor..

Also- unless you have a window open or Scotty nearby, there is no real need to diligently cage him.. Cockatiels aren't ornery nor go about destroying your items when you're not around. They'll just sit there Smile
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of the Found Bird   Pictures of the Found Bird EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 6:39 pm

I know many many many clipped cockatiels and they all do just fine climbing and getting around. If you decide that's what you want to do, you can consider clipping him in stages so his loss of flight isn't a drastic change for him. If you're not sure how to clip, ask the vet how, then just clip one or two flight feathers at a time skipping a few days in-between clips until he's at the level of flight you want him to have.

And GO's right about them not being avid chewers. It's one of the nice things about them!
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of the Found Bird   Pictures of the Found Bird EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 6:41 pm

Oh - I forgot to say that I'm sorry for the loss of Bill's Ultra-runner friend. I think it's a pretty cool thing you did naming the bird after him. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of the Found Bird   Pictures of the Found Bird EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 6:48 pm

At this point, I'm more worried about him getting out during the house move and/or getting into the clutches of the cats than I am about him doing damage to the house. We've done our own wing trimming before, we just didn't want to manhandle Scotty that much because of his existing "guy" issues, so we took both to be trimmed last time. We've done Scooter many times and I helped Bill with his Mom's little Amazon. It's more a matter of the psychology than the mechanics. We'll see what the vet says Saturday.
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of the Found Bird   Pictures of the Found Bird EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 1:34 am

GlassOnion wrote:
I wouldn't clip Cockatiels. They are very, very clumsy and suck at moving around in general. Their bodies are built for long flight and ground foraging. Apple sucks at even the simplest task such as climbing the cage bars, and often he'll make a mistake and fall to the floor..

Also- unless you have a window open or Scotty nearby, there is no real need to diligently cage him.. Cockatiels aren't ornery nor go about destroying your items when you're not around. They'll just sit there Smile

LOL so true. Every time he does a wing stretch, he does a little tumble.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of the Found Bird   Pictures of the Found Bird EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 1:52 am

ScooterNScotty wrote:
He's VERY flighted and has an annoying habit of flying to your shoulder or head and then not wanting to go back into the cage. I'm worried he'll go missing again during our house move if we don't trim him back, but unlike our other birds he's clearly used to flying, although he has none of the skills I'd want a flying bird to have, such as harness wearing and recall. I'm wondering about trimming him back a little at a time so it doesn't shock him too much. I have to say, though, that so far all the flying he has done has been to get to a person's shoulder.
More likely he flew out the door by accident than set loose as an unwanted pet. A bird that friendly, that's most likely what happened. People underestimate flighted birds.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of the Found Bird   Pictures of the Found Bird EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 3:06 am

Roz, WWYD?
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of the Found Bird   Pictures of the Found Bird EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 12:01 am

ScooterNScotty wrote:
Roz, WWYD?
??
huh? what do you mean?
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of the Found Bird   Pictures of the Found Bird EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 12:56 am

You lost me
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of the Found Bird   Pictures of the Found Bird EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 3:45 am

patdbunny wrote:
ScooterNScotty wrote:
Roz, WWYD?
??
huh? what do you mean?

I think I meant both about the clipping thing with a bird this confirmed in flight and also about possibly finding owners. But heck, he's part of the flock now!
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of the Found Bird   Pictures of the Found Bird EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 11:26 pm

I think they adjust to the wing clip just fine. Eric was fledged, clipped, grew out, then clipped again. They deal. Especially when they're tame.

Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of the Found Bird   Pictures of the Found Bird EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 6:27 pm

So, Blanco is back from his vet visit. He appears healthy and normal. We didn't do blood or swabs, just a visual and a fecal, but the vet saw absolutely nothing out of the ordinary except that he's a bit on the thin side at 83g.

He did get a wing trim. With moving houses and people coming and going and lots of distractions, the risk of losing him just seemed way too high. So hopefully he won't be overly distressed by his flight curtailment. He still has enough wing power to fly from hand to shoulder. We may consider letting him grow in after this molt.

General consensus is that he's probably young. If he's in his second molt, which is a guess, what is his likely age range? 1? I'll probably use that as a best-guess age for him.

He was a little cranky with me when we first got home. But he eventually decided he wanted his head scratched more than he didn't want me picking him up. Pushover.
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of the Found Bird   Pictures of the Found Bird EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 9:09 pm

Typical cockatiel Smile
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of the Found Bird   Pictures of the Found Bird EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 7:53 pm

ScooterNScotty wrote:
General consensus is that he's probably young. If he's in his second molt, which is a guess, what is his likely age range? 1? I'll probably use that as a best-guess age for him.
I hate that determination - even if it came from a vet. Fact is, once they molt into their adult coloration (6-12 months of age, 1st or 2nd molt) and lose that soft baby look in the eyes, until they're "old/older" at about 15-20 years old, you cannot in any meaningful way guestimate age like you can with a dog, cat or horse.

So the best answer here is Blanco is between 1 - 15 years old would be my best guess.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of the Found Bird   Pictures of the Found Bird EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 9:22 pm

My husband feels his behavior is somewhat babyish and the vet did admit it was a guess... doesn't really matter though. It's kind of like before DNA-sexing when people assigned their non-dimorphic birds a gender just to have a fuller mental picture.

I bet there is something equivalent to teeth on a horse that could be used but that it hasn't been well-studied enough to realize yet. Everything ages... there must be some evolution...
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of the Found Bird   Pictures of the Found Bird EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 9:25 pm

ScooterNScotty wrote:

I bet there is something equivalent to teeth on a horse that could be used but that it hasn't been well-studied enough to realize yet. Everything ages... there must be some evolution...

My vet suggested doing a blood panel on CB to guesstimate his age. I'm not entirely sure how accurate that would be, and I didn't feel the need to do a blood panel.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of the Found Bird   Pictures of the Found Bird Empty

Back to top Go down

Pictures of the Found Bird
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next