Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)

Go down 
+7
flappinhappy
henpecked
moa
Margaret
patdbunny
atlanon
GlassOnion
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 9:41 pm

I'm starting to fall for them more and more too Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 11:15 pm

GlassOnion wrote:
I want an Amazon now, do you think keeping one in an apartment would be a nono? :affraid: :affraid: :affraid:
I only can respond for what I'm thinking... I may be wrong Wink
Take for consideration, that people(neighbors) like to have peace and they may complain. You'll have two choices: move out or give up the bird. Since the second choice is not an option, where you gonna move? To another apartment, when people sooner or later will complain about noise? Good bless, maybe you will be lucky and have good neighbors, but life is life. You never know.
I don't want to risk, because moving from place to place without alternative to settle is like horror. I prefer to wait, move into my own home together with my bf (maybe then husband) and then have whatever I want there without being scared of neighbors reaction.
If it's meant to me, that's what's gonna happened in my future: home with husband, with bunch of birds and dogs wee including Zoon Zon Wink
Back to top Go down
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

My Birds : Yoshi - SI Eclectus

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 11:45 pm

Margaret wrote:
GlassOnion wrote:
I want an Amazon now, do you think keeping one in an apartment would be a nono? :affraid: :affraid: :affraid:
I only can respond for what I'm thinking... I may be wrong Wink
Take for consideration, that people(neighbors) like to have peace and they may complain. You'll have two choices: move out or give up the bird. Since the second choice is not an option, where you gonna move? To another apartment, when people sooner or later will complain about noise? Good bless, maybe you will be lucky and have good neighbors, but life is life. You never know.
I don't want to risk, because moving from place to place without alternative to settle is like horror. I prefer to wait, move into my own home together with my bf (maybe then husband) and then have whatever I want there without being scared of neighbors reaction.
If it's meant to me, that's what's gonna happened in my future: home with husband, with bunch of birds and dogs wee including Zoon Zon Wink

Look into what noise regulations in your area are. I want to say that Roz told me this on the other forum when I was asking about noise, but I can't remember if it was her :| WHOEVER it was, they said that noise regulations in their area were pretty liberal and that no matter how many people in the apartment building complained, it only counted as one official complaint because they were in the same building, so there was nothing that could legally be done about it. Turns out it's pretty similar in my area and that an inSANE amount of people would have to file an official complaint for action to be brought against me. I'm sure the landlord could approach you, but with how infrequent I think the screaming would be with a lone amazon, I don't think you could be forced into moving. Whether or not you're willing to get a few glares from neighbors is another thing tongue
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/lyzgrace
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 12:40 am

Quote :
I'm sure the landlord could approach you, but with how infrequent I think the screaming would be with a lone amazon, I don't think you could be forced into moving.
This is with my Landlord Hat on - Pay your rent on time religiously. Better yet, pay your rent one day before it's due. Try pulling out the pluggy thingy in the sink and clear the hair smurfs off of it or try some Draino BEFORE you call me for a plumber; and remember only poo, pee and toilet paper go down the toilet. Try changing the light bulb BEFORE you call me to call an electrician because you light doesn't work.

Do those things and I will be very hesitant to try to evict you over a screaming bird.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
moa
Sun Conure
moa

My Birds : Rainbow and the unnamed gcc

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 1:46 am

hey josie or richard, what are some differences that you find between the personalities of the amazon species that you have?
Back to top Go down
flappinhappy
Sun Conure
flappinhappy

My Birds : (R) denotes rescue birds
(R) Stacie, YN F
(R) Mickey, RL M
(R) Miss Kong, Panama F
(R) Binkie, YN F

Merlin, Gracie and Mercie my little Jack Yappers
44 chickens and 2 turkeys

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 3:32 am

Moa what I will say first is I don't have any 2 birds with the same personality...in humans they say there are 8 basic personalities not so in birds. The most basic traits in all are this they are gregarious and intelligent, the whole "males talk better" concept is crap. I have far more female vocalists and singers than males in all species across the board. the YN's seem to outshine the rest for being snuggle bugs and doing just about anything to get your undivided attention. The OWA's seem to be the most playful on their own, foot toys, bells, balls and any suspended item they can hang from. The DYH are very intelligent and can hold the record for vocabulary count, however with that intelligence comes the challenge of keeping the boredom at bay they require a lot more hands on time to reduce the destructive bent. The Panamas are bright interested and very vocal, both sexes and seem to have nervous chatter when anything sounds out of hand...arguements, TV too loud, dogs excited barking etc. So in all of this my best suggestion for a first Amazon is a YN if you are doing it they wan't to try it too from washing dishes to folding laundry and of course the shower perch would be their favorite perch. They love to ride if taken early (I always haul my babies around) and will chat up anyone within talking distance. They tend to scream less and talk and sing more. Most of the 'zons are about equal to a 2-3 year old at play and OMG just LOVE to laugh as you can hear in the Stacie and Kong video. Well there i go again a book not just an answer Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 11:44 am

flappinhappy wrote:
Well there i go again a book not just an answer Rolling Eyes
Love your books. They're very enlightening.
How about the male/female differences that we read about? Are those true? The males turn into hormonal monsters and might not be able to be handled during the breeding season? Or is it with guidance you can teach them to control biting despite their hormones?
Back to top Go down
flappinhappy
Sun Conure
flappinhappy

(R) Stacie, YN F
(R) Mickey, RL M
(R) Miss Kong, Panama F
(R) Binkie, YN F

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 12:47 pm

patdbunny wrote:
How about the male/female differences that we read about? Are those true? The males turn into hormonal monsters and might not be able to be handled during the breeding season? Or is it with guidance you can teach them to control biting despite their hormones?
You really shouldn't encourage me Embarassed but here goes...the males do get a bit testy in breeding season however this is normally focused at others that occupy their "mates" attention. This is especially true of males that have been rescued from an attempt at breeding, seems like if they were ever in a cage with a female they are more prone to display much more aggression.

Now the females are on the other end of the spectrum, they require way more attention and preening they become leeches to their "favorite" and if you normally pet your bird just anywhere or play "beak" with her then you will find them using you as a mate which is often shown with a rapid snap of their wings and a purring type sound. I have a couple of females that were mated with humans to the point that sex is what they want pretty much any time they are picked up this is most definately not cute.

The natural breeding of parrots often has the male nipping the females nape and back of head to keep her in a submissive state. If the male cannot dominate the female breeding will never occur so this is where the male dominance come to the forefront.

It is dangerous to the intruder but much more so the "mate" of a male bird in breeding phase as they tend to make their mate get away from percieved danger. I have had my arm literally pierced by my largest YN male Echo because my friend got within the mate space.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 1:22 pm

flappinhappy wrote:
So in all of this my best suggestion for a first Amazon is a YN..

Does this mean, throw out the whole "hot 3's" reputation?

Back to top Go down
flappinhappy
Sun Conure
flappinhappy

(R) Stacie, YN F
(R) Mickey, RL M
(R) Miss Kong, Panama F
(R) Binkie, YN F

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 6:05 pm

GlassOnion wrote:
flappinhappy wrote:
So in all of this my best suggestion for a first Amazon is a YN..

Does this mean, throw out the whole "hot 3's" reputation?

yep I guess it does considering the environment and the owner
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 7:59 pm

The hot three thing came about because those three birds are the best talkers and were heavyly imported and were the most common, yes they seem to be the most complex of the zons and therefore have more behavoiral problems.And also as a marketing tool to sell less popular species that were still obtainable because the more popular hot three were becoming endangered because of the pet trade and habitat loss..
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 8:49 pm

That makes very much sense. I'm looking at the smaller/quieter species now WhiteSpecZon
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 9:41 pm

flappinhappy wrote:
You really shouldn't encourage me Embarassed but here goes...

No!No! That's awesome! There's no substitute for hearing it in gory detail from people who've lived with them for over 40 years!
Thanks for the input and anything else you think of, please post again!

I've always loved the lilac crowned amazons. They seemed really cute, personable and quiet.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 10:01 pm

I agree! Thank you so much for the feedback and it's not common you hear the real deal from people who've lived with them for 40+years...

Roz, didn't you say a while back that you and Zons really don't get along well? Why is that? suspect
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 10:09 pm

GlassOnion wrote:
Roz, didn't you say a while back that you and Zons really don't get along well? Why is that? suspect
They always bite the crap out of me. Honestly, I haven't spent tons of time with zons other than my old boss's DYH and she hates me with a passion. I never really "understood" them like I feel I "understand" conures, toos and the other birds I'm familiar with. I always felt I couldn't "read" a zon (basically, they seem to always want to bleed me).

Actually, now that I've read a lot of what Richard and Josie have to say I'm looking forward to interacting with some zons. I think I now understand why I don't generally get along with them. I have a very pushy personality (basically I'm a jenday conure in a 5' human form) and I don't think zons appreciate that. I think if I were to be more "let them come to me" with a zon, I might do better with them. Like Richard says - Leave them wanting.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 10:41 pm

See, I'm quite like you Roz- I know for a fact I'd do wonderfully with a conure.
But I really want a bird that I can sing and dance with, that will be more of a companion/friend rather than a pet. Don't care that much about talking really.

EDIT: You're only 5'??! Shocked I'm 5'3" tongue Not much taller..
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 10:48 pm

if you want a zon you need a tude.I'm sure you folks less than 6ft can relate.

Last edited by henpecked on Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 10:49 pm

I got a lotta tude Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 10:51 pm

there you go ,your's hatched this AM.
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 10:53 pm

you think i'm joking....
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 10:54 pm

Serious as a heart attack.
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 10:56 pm

I'd give one of my babies to someone like you at the drop of a hat.
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 10:59 pm

And i'm sure that Josie feels the same way. It's not all about a dollar.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 11:03 pm

You know what Capt? I was thinking that I wish I lived in the States or that you were in Canada. It's a likely possibility that I'd get a zon down the road, and I'm not sure I'd be as confident with another breeder in Canada, as I'd be with you and Josie.

Would it be really hard to have it shipped to Washington and I can drive down to cross the border...pick 'er up and back to BC? scratch
Back to top Go down
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 11:08 pm

I don't think that if you picked the bird up south of the border it would be an issue at all on my part.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next