Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)

Go down 
+7
flappinhappy
henpecked
moa
Margaret
patdbunny
atlanon
GlassOnion
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
henpecked
Hyacinth Macaw
henpecked

My Birds : Jake hen YN (his)
Stacy hen YN (hers)
Kia male Panama
Kong hen Panama
Nitro male YN
Micky male Red Lored
Binkie hen YN
Many other Amazons

Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 11:10 pm

But then again, I don't do well with authority.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 11:11 pm

I'll do some research on this...
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 12:45 am

henpecked wrote:
if you want a zon you need a tude.I'm sure you folks less than 6ft can relate.
Is that why my old boss's zon hates me with a passion? Because I wanted to give her rules and they let her get away with murder? Like the bratty kid that sticks their tongue out at you and says, "My mom says I don't have to!" and then they kick you in the shins as they run away? When the boss and wife weren't around and I was bird sitting, the bird pretty much behaved for me. She just wanted to bite me at every opportunity whenever they were around.

GlassOnion - I think I'm around 5'1". I've lied about my height for so long (5'3" on official docs) that I really don't know. I got measured once and I was shocked how short I really was.
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
flappinhappy
Sun Conure
flappinhappy

My Birds : (R) denotes rescue birds
(R) Stacie, YN F
(R) Mickey, RL M
(R) Miss Kong, Panama F
(R) Binkie, YN F

Merlin, Gracie and Mercie my little Jack Yappers
44 chickens and 2 turkeys

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 7:04 am

henpecked wrote:
I don't think that if you picked the bird up south of the border it would be an issue at all on my part.
You can also check out airlines some of them allow you to fly with a bird in the cabin so a round trip ticket may come out cheaper than the fuel just an idea.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 2:26 pm

Hmm, that could work too!
Back to top Go down
atlanon
Amazon
atlanon

My Birds : Yoshi - SI Eclectus

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 3:05 pm

Very Happy Very Happy I'm excited just watching this conversation unfold!!!! Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/lyzgrace
RogerP
Scarlet Macaw
RogerP

My Birds : ~Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure
(Hatchdate May 15, 2010)

~Arthur - Red Bellied Parrot
(Hatchdate January 7, 2009, rescued October 7, 2011)

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 4:00 pm

I am excited about this too (and if I'm being honest, a little jealous too)! Hope it all works out.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 4:56 pm

Don't get yer hopes up too much... won't be for several years.. Sad
My fiance's dead against a loud bird in an apartment Sad
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 7:02 pm

Jealous is not the word, extremely jealous, but happy for you! Cool
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 7:06 pm

When are YOU gonna get CaptHappy? Roz
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 7:19 pm

There is only one thing holding me back: I live in apartment.

My bf have sick sister, he has to take care of. There is no possibility I can come on short distance to his sister, because she's trowing things on me. I feel very sorry for her. She is sick and scared that I'm gonna take her brother away and then she'll finish in some kind of place with dying people. Even if there is absolutely no my intention, she doesn't trust me. We tried over the years, but she stick in her head only one thing and whatever I do, she is the way she is.
Our plan is having in the future small home, but as much as I would like it, we can't do it now. I respect fact, that my bf chosen to take care of her sick sister.
Coming back to apartment thing: I have had a bad experience with neighbors in the past in my previous place and I'm rally afraid to keep Amazon in apartment. Maybe not afraid, but I don't want to risk moving and moving- I hate it.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 7:32 pm

Margaret, that's what I'm afraid of as well. Hug
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 7:40 pm

Margaret wrote:
There is only one thing holding me back: I live in apartment.

My bf have sick sister, he has to take care of. There is no possibility I can come on short distance to his sister, because she's trowing things on me. I feel very sorry for her. She is sick and scared that I'm gonna take her brother away and then she'll finish in some kind of place with dying people. Even if there is absolutely no my intention, she doesn't trust me. We tried over the years, but she stick in her head only one thing and whatever I do, she is the way she is.
Our plan is having in the future small home, but as much as I would like it, we can't do it now. I respect fact, that my bf chosen to take care of her sick sister.
Coming back to apartment thing: I have had a bad experience with neighbors in the past in my previous place and I'm rally afraid to keep Amazon in apartment. Maybe not afraid, but I don't want to risk moving and moving- I hate it.

Very sorry about his sister. I hope she feels better.

As to the apartment thing, this is a hard one. We're dealing with animals that are so darn long lived. Even when you finally get one and you live in a house, so much can happen in your life pending that animal's 50 year lifespan. When I moved into my first apartment I had four birds already including my jenday. I could not imagine getting rid of her because I was moving into an apartment.

So something to consider - What would you do with an amazon if your life changed and you had to move into an apartment again? Not saying don't get one. I'd do it and not worry about it because I've been through several moves into rentals with loud birds (including toos) and not had any problems. Just asking as to y'all's train of thought.
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 7:52 pm

Roz, you have a good point. I never know what's cooking for me in my life.

How you kept toos in apartment? Neighbors didn't complain? That's my worst concern. I read the stories that people put some blanket in the walls, to make it noise-isolated.
I'm curious what else could be done...Because if there will be possible, I might consider seriously zoon in my apartment. Like seriously, seriously Wink
I even have a cage bought in garage sale. I store it in my bf's garage. It would need repainting, but that's nothing...
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Well, flappinhappy did tell me that screaming is more taught than not. That if the bird lives in a generally scream-free environment, apartment living could be suitable.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: ,   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 8:14 pm

Margaret - I didn't have toos in an apartment. I had the jenday, two tiels (those don't count! I know!), and a CAG (that mimicked the jenday, but louder). No one complained in the apartment about any of the birds, including the jenday. I had an M2, U2 (for about 6 months), G2, jenday, CAG, and 2 tiels when I was renting a very small house (apprx. 800 sq. ft.). The landlord's brother lived in the granny flat across the yard (very small yard) and neighbors were very close. In San Diego all the houses are packed in like sardines. You guys ever watch Home Improvement? How Tim Allen and his neighbor could just go out their back doors and talk to each other over the fence - that's how close my neighbors were. Only had one neighbor across the alley complain about the M2 screaming. But that neighbor was just a crank. He used to yell at the kids playing in the alley. All the other neighbors including the landlord's brother said they liked all the "tropical" noise in the city.

GlassOnion - I believe it's true about the taught excessive screaming (like with the aratinga conures). My bosses DYH was just freakin' non-stop. But like I said, I think they taught her to be that way.

I guess my biggie is - Don't let them turn into screamers. Other than the one crank, I never had complaints about the parrots. The rooster in the city on the other hand. . .
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 8:29 pm

patdbunny wrote:

I guess my biggie is - Don't let them turn into screamers. Other than the one crank, I never had complaints about the parrots. The rooster in the city on the other hand. . .
I heard, in Chicago there are some regulations about roosters, the certain hours they can be outside, but yes, I saw houses with roosters outside.
Ok, my next question. I'm sorry, but once you open that subject, I'm gonna bother you with the questions. The Amazon thing was serious, not a joke...
I'm gonna be 40 soon. I guess there is no sense to take a baby zon in my age(as much as I would love to) or there still is(?), but search for one to rescue. How to control screaming in that case?
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 8:41 pm

Wow. I caught a bit of this thread way back at the beginning, but somehow managed to lose track of it until today. I had a lot of catching up to do. Smile

patdbunny wrote:
As to the apartment thing, this is a hard one. We're dealing with animals that are so darn long lived. Even when you finally get one and you live in a house, so much can happen in your life pending that animal's 50 year lifespan. When I moved into my first apartment I had four birds already including my jenday. I could not imagine getting rid of her because I was moving into an apartment.

So something to consider - What would you do with an amazon if your life changed and you had to move into an apartment again? Not saying don't get one. I'd do it and not worry about it because I've been through several moves into rentals with loud birds (including toos) and not had any problems. Just asking as to y'all's train of thought.
flappinhappy wrote:
...Time if only a few minutes here and there is like cookies to kids. Being left alone can be mentally disasterous and cause screaming and biting "never pet them until they are done, stop in time to keep them wanting more" is Richards mantra and it works every time with every 'zon. I have a few that refuse to speak they are just NOT interested and the ones that do seem to know just how the words or songs fit into conversation. OK I get it I am most definately hooked on 'zons guessing you can tell by now. We get the am and pm sounds...some talk and the OWA's screech...but for the most part it is a game of "I can say this...what can you say?" They also don't seem have too hurt feelings when their favorite is away then returns...they are still very much in love.
henpecked wrote:
A little more about the noise, most don't scream and screech, except the OWA and that's because they are wild caught breeders ,they do make some parrot sounds but most of it is quieter vocalizations,begging food,attention,alarm etc.The ones that talk,talk a lot the ones that don't talk much like Kong the panama,do more mummling,murmurring,sounds like human voice just can't quite make it out,but it's quiet,low key stuff. I think the quakers and IRNs make more racket. Amazons don't pick up on nonhuman sounds near as much as CAGs which mimic everything,and zons show a real passion for singing.They love to sing.
These are my thoughts:
I've noticed that there is a lot of concern about zon's possible noise and living in an apartment. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've read, it seems like the noise "problem" can for the most part be alleviated with proper early socialization and the simple act of spending time with the bird each day. The time issue shouldn't be much of a concern with this group. I don't think that it would be too much of a chore for any one of us to spend time with a bird - ours or anybody else's! So the way I would council my children would be to say ... get the bird while you're in the apartment. In the apartment, you'll be highly motivated to "bring the bird up right" while living in a space with a close proximity to your neighbors. Then when you move into your house, you've already got your quiet bird. If you wait until you're in the house, your motivation will not be as strong for exemplary socialization and training. Then if something happens down the road and you're forced back into shared living quarters for some reason, you don't have the "apartment trained" bird you could have had.

It's just my 2 2 cents worth - which isn't really worth that much anyway! And besides, that's what I'd tell my kids (or my husband, if I were trying to talk him into something. LOL) Seriously though, there is a bit of truth to it.
~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#
GlassOnion wrote:
See, I'm quite like you Roz- I know for a fact I'd do wonderfully with a conure.
But I really want a bird that I can sing and dance with, that will be more of a companion/friend rather than a pet. Don't care that much about talking really.

EDIT: You're only 5'??! Shocked I'm 5'3" tongue Not much taller..
yahoo Can we have a little party for short people?!?!?!!! coldtrance
I'm only 5' 3/4" (last time I was measured! haha)

Happy Cheer! party clap wheee! Wiggle
henpecked wrote:
if you want a zon you need a tude.I'm sure you folks less than 6ft can relate.
WayConfused 'tude?? WayConfused WHAT 'tude?? I have NO idea what you're talking about?? !!Singing
GlassOnion wrote:
Don't get yer hopes up too much... won't be for several years.. Sad
My fiance's dead against a loud bird in an apartment Sad
My husband is totally the same way. Bucky is driving him bat$#!t crazy. Crazy Most of the time, I don't even hear him anymore. It's going to be a while before I get another bird and I'm afraid I may never get another one.
It'll probably end up being a choice between another bird or my husband.

thinking :don\'t underst

That's a hard decision to make, but at this moment I'm leaning towards an Amazon.
outloud?

Wink
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 8:56 pm

Margaret wrote:
patdbunny wrote:

I heard, in Chicago there are some regulations about roosters, the certain hours they can be outside, but yes, I saw houses with roosters outside.
Ok, my next question. I'm sorry, but once you open that subject, I'm gonna bother you with the questions. The Amazon thing was serious, not a joke...
I'm gonna be 40 soon. I guess there is no sense to take a baby zon in my age(as much as I would love to) or there still is(?), but search for one to rescue. How to control screaming in that case?

Farm animals are not legal in San Diego city limits, but I had them anyway. I ended up stuffing the rooster in a box daily at dusk 'til dawn (YES! HE HAD PLENTY OF VENTILATION!). I thought he was crowing at 3 a.m. due to the street lights. I'm rural now, no street lights - D*MN roosters still go off at 3 a.m. What is with that? STEW!!!

Seriously Margaret - I don't know how to muffle the noise. I never bothered. My birds were not constant screamers. The M2 - I played tag w/ him at 2 in the afternoon and encouraged him to scream his fool head off. I figured if anyone complained about that I'd tell them they really needed to get a life (or a job!). That made it so he really didn't scream morning and evening much at all. Maybe you can foster various amazons until you got the one that was the right "match" for you personality, household and noise-wise?

VickiNumbers (I LOVE that! It sounds so Mob!) - I agree with you about raising the bird properly so it's well behaved. It's too bad some people end up with someone else's problem child (Julsie and her prior jenday). I raise my babies from the get go to be independent and not sit there and scream for attention. My first jenday, when I moved into my first apartment with her, I didn't even think twice. She was not an incessant screamer.
Back to top Go down
MandaDPanda
Indian Ringneck
MandaDPanda

My Birds : Aries - Sun Conure Smile

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 9:38 pm

I LOVE this conversation...and was actually hoping for something like this when I started the thread when I thought I was getting one last week. LOL

I just...have read so much about what you guys say about your 'Zons and knowing that a Suns' screech isn't bothersome though that maybe I'd be able to handle it.

I know they're different types of birds, but I can totally see the "Zon screaming issue being handled much like Aries. I'm looking into 'Zon supplies now and starting to build up our reserve to give some green baby a home when we're ready.

Am I crazy for not even second guessing bringing a 'Zon into an apartment?

Now, I do have a question about the amount of out of cage time. I know they're highly social and prefer as much time with you as possible, but it seems like this can lead to some behavior issues like Roz's boss....so, what kind of a schedule would you suggest for a lone 'Zon (w/a Sun older brother)?

We're actually getting pretty serious...wish there were some good close breeders Sad
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 9:50 pm

MandaDPanda wrote:
I LOVE this conversation...and was actually hoping for something like this when I started the thread when I thought I was getting one last week. LOL

I just...have read so much about what you guys say about your 'Zons and knowing that a Suns' screech isn't bothersome though that maybe I'd be able to handle it.

I know they're different types of birds, but I can totally see the "Zon screaming issue being handled much like Aries. I'm looking into 'Zon supplies now and starting to build up our reserve to give some green baby a home when we're ready.

Am I crazy for not even second guessing bringing a 'Zon into an apartment?

Now, I do have a question about the amount of out of cage time. I know they're highly social and prefer as much time with you as possible, but it seems like this can lead to some behavior issues like Roz's boss....so, what kind of a schedule would you suggest for a lone 'Zon (w/a Sun older brother)?

We're actually getting pretty serious...wish there were some good close breeders Sad

DUDE!! You live with a SUN that doesn't scream for attention! You'll be fine! IMHO. . . Sorry if that's an irresponsible answer. But I truly believe you'd be fine.

It's not the out of cage time - it's that they RESPONDED to the zon when it was vocalizing non-stop. Their zon, it didn't matter if she was in the cage or out on a playstand. If it was not within a few feet of them, preferably on their body, it was vocalizing. Again, it didn't "scream" technically. It VERY LOUDLY went through it's whole repetoire of sounds, which for an amazon, sounds like a never ending opera; until they picked the bird up. So, I think, like with a sun conure, they taught it to do this incessantly.

BTW - They had asked me what they could do to get her to quit the constant vocalizing. I tried to get them to get her foraging and entertaining herself. You guys know it takes time for a bird that's never done thinking exercises to catch on. They could not follow through. She didn't "get" foraging in 10 minutes and they said "it didn't work" and they stopped trying. So it was their little dysfunctional relationship.
Back to top Go down
MandaDPanda
Indian Ringneck
MandaDPanda

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 10:05 pm

patdbunny wrote:

DUDE!! You live with a SUN that doesn't scream for attention! You'll be fine! IMHO. . . Sorry if that's an irresponsible answer. But I truly believe you'd be fine.

It's not the out of cage time - it's that they RESPONDED to the zon when it was vocalizing non-stop. Their zon, it didn't matter if she was in the cage or out on a playstand. If it was not within a few feet of them, preferably on their body, it was vocalizing. Again, it didn't "scream" technically. It VERY LOUDLY went through it's whole repetoire of sounds, which for an amazon, sounds like a never ending opera; until they picked the bird up. So, I think, like with a sun conure, they taught it to do this incessantly.

BTW - They had asked me what they could do to get her to quit the constant vocalizing. I tried to get them to get her foraging and entertaining herself. You guys know it takes time for a bird that's never done thinking exercises to catch on. They could not follow through. She didn't "get" foraging in 10 minutes and they said "it didn't work" and they stopped trying. So it was their little dysfunctional relationship.

LOL yeah, but he used to...

I was thinking exactly that. The vocalizing is a socialization thing that really depends on the owner to make sure they develop HEALTHY vocalizing, not screaming and hollering every known sounds because you're not getting your way. (Sounds like a toddler I know) She just needed some boundaries that they weren't willing to follow through with.

WANT. ZON. NOW.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 10:10 pm

Bahahaha she is VickiNumbers in my head too!!!!

I think if you can live with a Sun you can live with anything. Shocked I would worry about the zon picking up and copying the screech, but even they can't produce that *noise* conures reach.

My husband is crappy about bird noise too, Juniper annoys him sometimes I can tell but he has never actually complained. We were like, heading for divorce over the Jenday we took in and re-homed. I wanted to keep the bird, who was a screamer, and I couldn't "fix" it, I wish I had you guys back then. So when I look and dream about birds I always have to consider his whiny ass when it comes to volume/noise.

Parrots>Husbands

Oh, and I am only 5'2 flappinhappy
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 10:18 pm

MandaDPanda wrote:
WANT. ZON. NOW.

Geeeettttt ooonnnneee. . .

Where are my fortune cookies? thinking
HaHaHa
Back to top Go down
MandaDPanda
Indian Ringneck
MandaDPanda

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 10:20 pm

Julsiebean wrote:
Oh, and I am only 5'2 flappinhappy

I am 5'8...obviously a giant. LOL

I'd be more concerned about the 'Zon picking up his habits of squaking and not eating on the perch for breakfast unless I'm standing right there...the scream? Meh. LOL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)   Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard) - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Amazon personality? (calling Josie & Richard)
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next