Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Does anyone else make mash for their birds?

Go down 
+2
patdbunny
InquisitiveCow
6 posters
AuthorMessage
InquisitiveCow
Budgerigar
InquisitiveCow

My Birds : Gracie (African Grey)
Larry and Rhonda (Senegals)

Does anyone else make mash for their birds? Empty
PostSubject: Does anyone else make mash for their birds?   Does anyone else make mash for their birds? EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 10:43 pm

I saw there's a topic for sprouting but I was wondering if anyone else makes mash for their birds? My guys have zupreem pellets in their dishes at all times but I also give them mash twice a day. I mix up what I put it in with each batch but usually it includes brown rice, beans, barley,various fruits and veggies and greens.

I put it in ziploc snack size bags and store it in the freezer, one of those little bags is perfect for the three servings needed for my guys. I've seen others store theirs in icecube trays and just pop one out at a time when they only had one bird. My guys love it and its fantastic for them.
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else make mash for their birds?   Does anyone else make mash for their birds? EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 12:31 am

I do. The cook mix is a pasta, bean, grain assortment that I put together out of the bulk bins of my local health food store. To that I add grated fresh fruits and veggies, frozen veggies, sometimes frozen berries, and sprouts. It ends up looking like this:
Does anyone else make mash for their birds? Lg_fin10
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else make mash for their birds?   Does anyone else make mash for their birds? EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 1:01 am

I have tried, but only Spice will try some of the items. I make birdie bread instead, which produces much more acceptable results.
Back to top Go down
InquisitiveCow
Budgerigar
InquisitiveCow

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else make mash for their birds?   Does anyone else make mash for their birds? EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 1:29 am

Mine comes out much the same pat..I'm making up a batch this weekend, will take pics.

I haven't made any breads or muffins yet, how do you make yours GlassOnion?
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else make mash for their birds?   Does anyone else make mash for their birds? EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 2:13 am

Back to top Go down
moa
Sun Conure
moa

My Birds : Rainbow and the unnamed gcc

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else make mash for their birds?   Does anyone else make mash for their birds? EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 2:28 pm

sometimes I think I do more cooking or food prep for my bird than I do for me.. my little pig of a bird would love that stuff! and that site looks awesome glassonion.
Back to top Go down
InquisitiveCow
Budgerigar
InquisitiveCow

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else make mash for their birds?   Does anyone else make mash for their birds? EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 7:41 pm

I hear ya moa lol. Awesome link..ty!
Back to top Go down
BirdyBooty
Budgerigar
BirdyBooty

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else make mash for their birds?   Does anyone else make mash for their birds? EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 1:05 am

We make lots of mash & birdy bread
Often we serve a fresh meal, but we also freeze it in batches & the mash changes monthly. We keep everything organic Smile
This month we have had a mix of..

dandelion greens
kale
brown rice
sweet potatoes
kiwi
banana
mango
strawberries
apple
peas
carrots
corn
chickpeas
red bell peppers
green beans
cinnamon
turmeric
red pepper flakes
coconut flakes
Back to top Go down
http://www.birdybooty.com
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else make mash for their birds?   Does anyone else make mash for their birds? EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 1:53 am

My mash changes each time I run out or each time I go to the store and something looks good and I feel like cooking for the birds. (How's THAT for a run-on sentence?!) I've got several bags in the freezer of mash.

I usually make one batch of veggie mash* using broccoli as a base, will add:
kale, mustard greens, dandelion (one or any combination of them)
Red pepper
green pepper
cilantro
parsley
carrots
corn
green beans
cauliflower
peas
sweet potatoes
red pepper flakes
a little bit of cayenne
And whatever else I've happened to find that looked good.

Then I make a separate batch of fruit mash*..
Always has apples in it Smile then I'll add:
strawberries
blueberries
kiwi
cantaloupe
peach
plum
mango
papaya
banana
etc.

*My veggie mash always has some apple in it (and maybe some berries) to make it a little bit tastier, and my fruit mash always has some carrots and red pepper in it to balance out the sweet. The fruit mash I make is super super yummy!!! If I didn't use the food processor to make it, it would be a delicious fruit salad.

Whenever it's too watery I'll put it in a strainer in the fridge overnight to let the extra liquid drain. Then whenever it's ready, I'll put it into ice-cube trays to freeze it. When it's frozen, I dump the ice-cube trays of food into one big gallon-sized freezer bag. I used to use the individual ziplock bags, but it was such a pain to scoop and zip each of them, and they ended up taking up a lot of room in the freezer. As it turns out, for my little birds one ice-cube size is exactly one serving size. I just pull out the cube flavor I want and can zap it in the microwave or can put it in a tupperware container and thaw it overnight - whichever works. (I never remember to plan ahead, so the microwave is what usually works. Wink )

I also use the cook-n-serve stuff that you can buy for a ridiculous amount of money at the bird stores. My birds LOVE them. They don't get them every day, but they're another thing that I will make and freeze in the ice-cube trays.

Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else make mash for their birds?   Does anyone else make mash for their birds? Empty

Back to top Go down

Does anyone else make mash for their birds?
Page 1 of 1