Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

More school gripes.

Go down 
+6
evil chicken
dusty
patdbunny
ScooterNScotty
BratBirds
kaeladedah
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

More school gripes.  Empty
PostSubject: More school gripes.    More school gripes.  EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 3:41 pm

Why must school be so difficult?

My current declared major has absolutely nothing to do with what my bachelors degree will eventually be in. It just fit the classes I had already taken and will allow me to complete my associates degree within a reasonable amount of time.

The thing is.. Liberal Arts doesn't require any kind of internship. And I just got an interview offer for an internship position with the Cape Fear River Watch. This internship would get me into the area I would like to live in, would give me employment opportunities as it would enhance my resume, and would get my school applications some serious consideration because of the type of internship it is and the program I would like to be in.

That's where the problem comes in. In order to get the internship approved for credit, I need to essentially beg the Dean of Academic Services to approve my request. I need to make a sound argument for all of the reasons why this internship would fit with my career goals. Then I need to find a class that would fit in with the internship, something that my school doesn't appear to offer. Then I would need to beg a professor to oversee that internship. And finally, I would need to get this all completed by May 18th.

School.. ugh. Sad
Back to top Go down
BratBirds
Parrotlet
BratBirds

My Birds : Timneh African Grey-Peanut
Sun Conure-Skittles
Tiel-Mariah

PostSubject: Re: More school gripes.    More school gripes.  EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 5:40 pm

Life is sometimes UGH! Sorry about all the troubles. You sound as if you have a good handle on what you need to do. Only getting it done is something else, especially when you have to convince someone else. Best of luck with that. Wish I could give you some helpfully suggestions, but I have none.
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: More school gripes.    More school gripes.  EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 5:42 pm

BratBirds wrote:
Life is sometimes UGH! Sorry about all the troubles. You sound as if you have a good handle on what you need to do. Only getting it done is something else, especially when you have to convince someone else. Best of luck with that. Wish I could give you some helpfully suggestions, but I have none.

Convincing one someone else generally wouldn't be a problem. Convincing multiple someones is definitely tricky, especially since I haven't met them!
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

My Birds : Scooter
* "Normal" male Green-cheeked Conure
* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*Whitefaced male cockatiel
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: More school gripes.    More school gripes.  EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 10:04 pm

I can kind of see the school's point on this one -- if they are going to give you credit for a program they have no control over or input into, it is reasonable for them to ask for some explanation and to have a faculty member responsible for staying in touch with what is going on. If they are reasonable about it, you may only need to be willing to make the effort to jump through the hoops.

It might be easiest if you can identify a suitable faculty member first and get that person to help.

OTOH, you'd still get most of those benefits even if you do without getting academic credit. Is the academic credit part critical?
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: More school gripes.    More school gripes.  EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 10:11 pm

ScooterNScotty wrote:
I can kind of see the school's point on this one -- if they are going to give you credit for a program they have no control over or input into, it is reasonable for them to ask for some explanation and to have a faculty member responsible for staying in touch with what is going on. If they are reasonable about it, you may only need to be willing to make the effort to jump through the hoops.

It might be easiest if you can identify a suitable faculty member first and get that person to help.

OTOH, you'd still get most of those benefits even if you do without getting academic credit. Is the academic credit part critical?

I can see the school's point and it matters enough to me that I'm willing to jump through hoops to meet the requirements. I've identified a faculty advisor that teaches the only environmental sciences class offered at the school and shot over an email earlier explaining the situation and asking kindly for his assistance and participation in overseeing the internship. I've also emailed the Dean of Academic Services and did something similar, and I'm waiting to schedule an appointment to meet with him.

Academic credit isn't really necessary from my point of view, but it may be necessary in terms of financing the internship. It may also be necessary for the organization, though I'm not sure it is. Their website (http://www.capefearriverwatch.org/) doesn't specify whether it's necessary to receive academic credit for the work performed.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: More school gripes.    More school gripes.  EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 11:10 pm

Yeah, sometimes it is worth jumping through the hoops! I wish you the best of luck with it, you are about due a break. This sounds like a great opportunity and making go is also a good demonstration of what you can do in terms of logistics and persuasion.
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: More school gripes.    More school gripes.  EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 11:21 pm

ScooterNScotty wrote:
Yeah, sometimes it is worth jumping through the hoops! I wish you the best of luck with it, you are about due a break. This sounds like a great opportunity and making go is also a good demonstration of what you can do in terms of logistics and persuasion.

The internship would also allow me to move to the area I want to be in. At that point, I'd be willing to waitress and work any other menial job to stay.

If I get it, I'm worried I may have to find a foster for the birds. I'm not sure I'd be able to take them with me right away. Sad
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: More school gripes.    More school gripes.  EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 12:57 am

I hate hoops. . .
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: More school gripes.    More school gripes.  EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 4:39 am

patdbunny wrote:
I hate hoops. . .

Not going to lie, I kind of feel like a seal at the circus.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: More school gripes.    More school gripes.  EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 2:18 pm

You want hoops, try getting a driver's license in Spain circa 1996. Just sayin'...
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: More school gripes.    More school gripes.  EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 2:26 pm

ScooterNScotty wrote:
You want hoops, try getting a driver's license in Spain circa 1996. Just sayin'...

Getting my driver's license when I turned 16 was enough! My parents refused to give me the required documents and my aunt and grandparents had to go through a very long process to prove that I was in their care.
Back to top Go down
dusty
Scarlet Macaw
dusty

My Birds : congo african grey (coco)
blue fronted amazons (willie and vasgo)
sun conure (simon)
greencheeked conure (jack)
senegal (walter)
senegal (crockett)
goffin cockatoo (sammy)
moluccan cockatoo (mango)
severe macaw (cody)
quaker (yoshi)

PostSubject: Re: More school gripes.    More school gripes.  EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 3:44 pm

the best of luck to you...i hope you get all you are asking for

dusty
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: More school gripes.    More school gripes.  EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 3:51 pm

Doing the Spanish driver's license was a trip. It was sort of like a scavenger hunt all over downtown Madrid. Special eye test from specially certified optometrist, this paper from that office, that paper from this office. As a visitor I could afford to be amused, but at the time anyway, the natives actually hired special people with limited power of attorney to do these things for them. May have changed by now, Spain was still rapidly evolving post-Franco at that time.
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: More school gripes.    More school gripes.  EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 8:55 am

I met with the Dean of Academic Services last night before my Math class. He needs a lot of things before he can consider approving it! And all before the May 18th paperwork deadline.

1. Name and mission statement of the organization.
2. Name of person overseeing the internship at the organization.
3. School faculty member overseeing the internship.
4. Goals of the internship from both advisors.
5. Duration and number of hours of internship.
6. Benefits of the internship from me.
7. Midterm evaluation from both advisors.
8. Final evaluation from both advisors.

Of that list, I have only 1, 2, and 6 completed.
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: More school gripes.    More school gripes.  EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 12:26 pm

Not a school gripe, but actually something I'm surprised/happy about!

My internship will most likely be approved. I found my LCCC advisor and he seems amazing!

I was registering for courses to get my financial aid approved on time, and I decided to run a degree evaluation. I am on track to graduate with an A.A. in Liberal Arts in May of next year.

BUT..

I am also eligible for an A.A. in Social Sciences as well!

This is very exciting because it means [a] I am half way to a B.A. in Sociology, which I was planning on doing anyway and [b] less time, and therefore less money, spent on my B.A. & B.S.

So my next semesters look pretty crazy.

Summer: Cultural Geography, Abnormal Psychology, Introduction to Computers and Applications, Intermediate Algebra, and (hopefully) the internship (which would take the place of Introduction to Environmental Sciences).

Fall: College Algebra, College English 2, Introduction to Astronomy, Mass Culture, Criminology, and Introduction to Philosophy.

Which means my spring 2013 semester will be so easy!

Spring 2013: American or English Literature, Introduction to Probability and Statistics, and Western Civilization or American History.
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: More school gripes.    More school gripes.  EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 1:37 pm

Yay!
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: More school gripes.    More school gripes.  EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 3:33 pm

Just need to wait for the student loans to go through, otherwise I'll need to pay a boatload of money before I can start classes.
Back to top Go down
evil chicken
Umbrella Cockatoo
evil chicken

My Birds : Sam -cinnamon pied cockatiel
Drake "Ducky" Laurence Lars -sun conure
Eric -whiteface pied cockatiel
Chicky Baby -red bantee hen -my avatar. Not really a parrot, but y'know, gotta include her anyway

PostSubject: Re: More school gripes.    More school gripes.  EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 10:26 pm

Yay! Happy to hear it's working out for you! S&S was right: you were due a break.
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: More school gripes.    More school gripes.  EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 10:55 pm

evil chicken wrote:
Yay! Happy to hear it's working out for you! S&S was right: you were due a break.

It's not working out quite yet. I need to wait for the student loan to go through, which may not be before tuition is due this semester. And full time tuition is a lot to pay when you have no job.

I also have to do the internship interview and actually get the internship. So there's that little issue, too. But I have been looking at apartments/subleases in Wilmington because I am so, so, so hopeful.
Back to top Go down
VickiNumbers
Hyacinth Macaw
VickiNumbers

My Birds : Allie ~ Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
Mickey ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Sam ~ Blue Front Amazon
Caesar ~ Bronze Wing Pionus (actually my HUSBAND's bird *grin*)
Mack ~ Lutino Cockatiel
Forté and Duncan ~ Budgerigars

PostSubject: Re: More school gripes.    More school gripes.  EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 12:54 pm

Kaela, it totally sounds like you're rockin' this whole "hoops" thing!

I've become a master of hoops... I can work magic with them - in fact, they bring out the best in me. It sounds like you're a chip off the ole' block! (haha!)

Your schedule sounds challenging but very doable. Your Spring 2013 semester sounds like fun - you get to take Stats! My favorite! I actually really liked that class!!!

Good luck and keep on pluggin'. You'll make it work, I'm sure of it.
Back to top Go down
http://bunchesofbudgies.blogspot.com/
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: More school gripes.    More school gripes.  EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 12:57 pm

VickiNumbers wrote:

Your schedule sounds challenging but very doable. Your Spring 2013 semester sounds like fun - you get to take Stats! My favorite! I actually really liked that class!!!

Maaaath. Sad I could probably rearrange some classes and just get my A.A. in Social Sciences, but eeeh.
Back to top Go down
zazanomore
Hyacinth Macaw
zazanomore

My Birds : Einstein - Cockatiel [3]
Charlie Bird - Cockatiel [15]
Clyde - Budgie [4]
Bonnie - Budgie [4]
Madoc - Budgie [1]

PostSubject: Re: More school gripes.    More school gripes.  EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 1:31 pm

kaeladedah wrote:
Not a school gripe, but actually something I'm surprised/happy about!

My internship will most likely be approved. I found my LCCC advisor and he seems amazing!

I was registering for courses to get my financial aid approved on time, and I decided to run a degree evaluation. I am on track to graduate with an A.A. in Liberal Arts in May of next year.

BUT..

I am also eligible for an A.A. in Social Sciences as well!

This is very exciting because it means [a] I am half way to a B.A. in Sociology, which I was planning on doing anyway and [b] less time, and therefore less money, spent on my B.A. & B.S.

So my next semesters look pretty crazy.

Summer: Cultural Geography, Abnormal Psychology, Introduction to Computers and Applications, Intermediate Algebra, and (hopefully) the internship (which would take the place of Introduction to Environmental Sciences).

Fall: College Algebra, College English 2, Introduction to Astronomy, Mass Culture, Criminology, and Introduction to Philosophy.

Which means my spring 2013 semester will be so easy!

Spring 2013: American or English Literature, Introduction to Probability and Statistics, and Western Civilization or American History.

Abnormal Psych is fun. It was my favorite section in my intro class. I think I either get to take the abnormal psych class next year or in my third year. Either way, I'm excited for it.

I'm excited for you!

I wish I were going to school during the Spring/Summer semesters. But, I've got to work. There's archeology field school and Harry Potter courses going on, I would of loved to of signed up for them.
Back to top Go down
dusty
Scarlet Macaw
dusty

My Birds : congo african grey (coco)
blue fronted amazons (willie and vasgo)
sun conure (simon)
greencheeked conure (jack)
senegal (walter)
senegal (crockett)
goffin cockatoo (sammy)
moluccan cockatoo (mango)
severe macaw (cody)
quaker (yoshi)

PostSubject: Re: More school gripes.    More school gripes.  EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 1:35 pm

i would love to take an archeology class

dusty
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: More school gripes.    More school gripes.  EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 2:25 pm

zazanomore wrote:

Abnormal Psych is fun. It was my favorite section in my intro class. I think I either get to take the abnormal psych class next year or in my third year. Either way, I'm excited for it.

I'm excited for you!

I wish I were going to school during the Spring/Summer semesters. But, I've got to work. There's archeology field school and Harry Potter courses going on, I would of loved to of signed up for them.

I've already taken Intro to Psychology. I didn't really like the class, but I need a psychology elective to get an A.A. in Social Sciences. I prefer Sociology to Psychology, but whatever.

It looks like I have a pretty good chance of getting the internship. I did my interview today and she really liked me, and loved that I have experience working with children in an educational setting. She just needs to get approval from the River Keeper.

If everything goes through, I will be moving May 14th!
Back to top Go down
ScooterNScotty
Hyacinth Macaw
ScooterNScotty

* (hatched 3/2010)

Scotty
*male Cape Parrot
*(HD unk ~2008)

Blanco (Caballo Blanco)
*(HD unk, found 4/2012)

PostSubject: Re: More school gripes.    More school gripes.  EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 2:29 pm

Sounds great! You may like Abnormal Psych more than your Intro class. In my experience, intro survey courses in any subject are likely to be boring, wandery and unfocused unless you have a really, really good teacher.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: More school gripes.    More school gripes.  Empty

Back to top Go down

More school gripes.
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next