Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Oh Noes. I fell in love today.

Go down 
+4
Margaret
patdbunny
GlassOnion
kaeladedah
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Oh Noes. I fell in love today. Empty
PostSubject: Oh Noes. I fell in love today.   Oh Noes. I fell in love today. EmptyFri May 20, 2011 6:01 pm

Oh boy, I am in trouble.

I fell head over heels in love with a Jardines parrot today at the bird store.

Why do I do this to myself?
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

My Birds : Cheney Bird, Green Cheek Conure
Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Oh Noes. I fell in love today.   Oh Noes. I fell in love today. EmptyFri May 20, 2011 6:02 pm

Parrot ownership is addicting. I'm still waiting for an email about the availability of that lutino cockatiel. I'm starting to think I'm doomed to never own a cockatiel.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oh Noes. I fell in love today.   Oh Noes. I fell in love today. EmptyFri May 20, 2011 6:04 pm

They only wanted $600 for him, which is, you know, amazing. I've got an empty flight cage. I would have to cancel on the GCC. He is an almost two year old rehome. He danced for me, made all kinds of telephone sounds, and kissed my cheek. Want. So. Bad. :|
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Oh Noes. I fell in love today.   Oh Noes. I fell in love today. EmptyFri May 20, 2011 6:05 pm

You want the GCC more!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oh Noes. I fell in love today.   Oh Noes. I fell in love today. EmptyFri May 20, 2011 6:08 pm

^I keep telling myself that. I wish I'd have never gone to that blasted store today.
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Oh Noes. I fell in love today.   Oh Noes. I fell in love today. EmptyFri May 20, 2011 6:09 pm

I don't really like any of the African species of birds. For me, it'd be no contest.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oh Noes. I fell in love today.   Oh Noes. I fell in love today. EmptyFri May 20, 2011 6:19 pm

You know, aside from African Greys I don't either. This guy was BEAUITFUL, I mean, amazingly stunning. His personality just killed me. I really think my husband would strangle me though, he'd keep the bird and bury me in the backyard.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

My Birds : Cockatiel, Budgerigar

PostSubject: Re: Oh Noes. I fell in love today.   Oh Noes. I fell in love today. EmptyFri May 20, 2011 6:37 pm

Julsiebean, I don't think you were on the other forum when it happened, but I posted how I met a Jardine's at a petstore and absolutely fell in love with it. I honestly thought I'd never seen a more beautiful bird. And then it bit me like a strong pair of metal pliers that permanently clamped on my fingers. I was traumatized, yes- but I was astonished at its beauty!
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Oh Noes. I fell in love today.   Oh Noes. I fell in love today. EmptyFri May 20, 2011 6:38 pm

Ya know. . . I'm probably a bad influence, but parrots are so much like people in terms of strong likes and dislikes, I see it as "meant to be" when you instantly "click" with a parrot. It's like meeting a person and within 30 minutes you feel like you're BFFs.

I also feel if you don't have a connection, you shouldn't get a bird just because "that's what you've always wanted".
Back to top Go down
http://staringatbirdsandgoats.blogspot.com/
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: Oh Noes. I fell in love today.   Oh Noes. I fell in love today. EmptyFri May 20, 2011 6:57 pm

Julsiebean wrote:
(...)Why do I do this to myself?

You're not the only one. It's hard to say no to those feather creatures.

My small example. My hole life I was thinking I'm not a bird person. Then I saw Mango, I took him from that horrible place planning to rescue him and give him to somebody, who is a parrot lover. On the end of that day, I was that person Laughing

Chico. I was considering Lineolated or Cockatiel from rescue. I walked to my favorite bird store and there was Chico. She did win my heart in couple minutes and from there I drive home with Chico, cage, perches another accessories and baby formula. I didn't planed before to buy.
Like Pat said, sometimes there is "click" with the parrot and that's it. Whatever you do, don't feel guilty Wink
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Oh Noes. I fell in love today.   Oh Noes. I fell in love today. EmptyFri May 20, 2011 7:05 pm

Margaret wrote:
My small example. My hole life I was thinking I'm not a bird person.

You're not alone, Margaret. I used to hate birds. I thought they really sucked.
Back to top Go down
Margaret
Hyacinth Macaw
Margaret

My Birds : • Budgies: Mango, Blueberry, Plum, Sunny
• Cockatiels: Chico, Mickey
• Linnies: Venus and Mars

• Amazon, who was with us: Lucky

PostSubject: Re: Oh Noes. I fell in love today.   Oh Noes. I fell in love today. EmptyFri May 20, 2011 7:11 pm

patdbunny wrote:
Margaret wrote:

It's so funny to here it from you Roz
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Oh Noes. I fell in love today.   Oh Noes. I fell in love today. EmptyFri May 20, 2011 7:11 pm

LOL ^ I used to think, "Who the @#*% keeps pet birds?! That's so cruel and they're dumb"
Back to top Go down
kaeladedah
Hyacinth Macaw
kaeladedah

Pigpen, Lutino Budgie
Nava, Lutino Lovebird
Oliver, Indian Ring Neck

PostSubject: Re: Oh Noes. I fell in love today.   Oh Noes. I fell in love today. EmptyFri May 20, 2011 7:12 pm

GlassOnion wrote:
LOL ^ I used to think, "Who the @#*% keeps pet birds?! That's so cruel and they're dumb"

Sometimes I still think that! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
MandaDPanda
Indian Ringneck
MandaDPanda

My Birds : Aries - Sun Conure Smile

PostSubject: Re: Oh Noes. I fell in love today.   Oh Noes. I fell in love today. EmptyFri May 20, 2011 7:26 pm

When birdies dance and kissy face you...it's meant to be Wink LOL (you know it!!!) Smile

On the other hand...did he bite you? Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oh Noes. I fell in love today.   Oh Noes. I fell in love today. EmptyFri May 20, 2011 7:30 pm

I am scared of what his beak could do, that is for sure. That looked like a mighty, mighty beak. I'm also nervous, he seemed like a lot of parrot. I've only ever had little guys.

I'm meeting the breeder Sunday, and see what it brings. I'm not going to rush into a choice either way.

Did I mention the black cap conure babies at the store? *Squeeee*
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oh Noes. I fell in love today.   Oh Noes. I fell in love today. EmptyFri May 20, 2011 7:32 pm

No, he didn't bite me at all. After I put him back and left, I went BACK in to see if the lady would make a cash deal he started bobbing his head for me. I died right there. $600 was the best she could do. Which is still amazing, for sure.
Back to top Go down
MandaDPanda
Indian Ringneck
MandaDPanda

My Birds : Aries - Sun Conure Smile

PostSubject: Re: Oh Noes. I fell in love today.   Oh Noes. I fell in love today. EmptyFri May 20, 2011 7:52 pm

Julsiebean wrote:
Did I mention the black cap conure babies at the store? *Squeeee*

Why must you mention babies?!?!?! LOL
Back to top Go down
patdbunny
Hyacinth Macaw
patdbunny

PostSubject: Re: Oh Noes. I fell in love today.   Oh Noes. I fell in love today. EmptyFri May 20, 2011 8:08 pm

Margaret wrote:
patdbunny wrote:
Margaret wrote:

It's so funny to here it from you Roz

Yeah, tell me about it. It's because my first birds as a kid weren't tame - bit the crap out of me. First bird I bought for myself, untame lovebird - bit the crap out of me. Got the lovebird a tiel (pet store said they could live together and be BFFs) companion. Lovebird bit almost all the toes off the tiel. I was DONE! These things SUCK! And people pay money for them?

Along came handfed babies. . . and the rest, as they say, is history.

Margaret! Nice emoticon - Roz
Very Happy Thanks! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

My Birds : Sebastian - 7 yr old Harlequin Macaw
Arthur - 12 yr old Jardines Parrot
Pickle - 16 yr old Hahn's Macaw
Ecko - 26 yr old Hahn's Macaw

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

PostSubject: Re: Oh Noes. I fell in love today.   Oh Noes. I fell in love today. EmptyFri May 20, 2011 10:41 pm

My Jardine was my first bird so I know how you feel. I love my baby Arthur to death (as you can tell by my avatar). If you have any Jardine questions, go ahead and ask.
Back to top Go down
http://www.voliveri.com
Perch
Budgerigar
Perch

My Birds : Pickle the spoiled, Ecco the sweet, Merlyn the big, Arthur the brat, and Sebastian the loud

PostSubject: Re: Oh Noes. I fell in love today.   Oh Noes. I fell in love today. EmptyFri May 20, 2011 11:06 pm

I've been bit by more birds that I dare even count... to the point of stitches. Its a hard lesson learned but you cannot judge a bird by its beak. Just because they are bigger doesn't mean they will damage you more.... well, they can but most times don't. Small birds are more apt to draw blood than larger ones. And smaller birds are more prone to being nippy because they are small and feel they have to defend themselves where larger birds don't. Unless they are a cockatoo... they're poisonous. Shocked

I'm not saying the next time you see a macaw to run up and kiss it on the face. Chances are if the birds doesn't know you, you're going to get bitten. What I am saying is...bigger birds are like bikers... they may look really scary, but most of them are really nice and lovable once you get to know them and hardly have any bite at all.

I have seen soooo many people new to "bigger" birds practically leap away when one reaches for them, only to freak out the bird, which will get you bit. Show some confidence, show some love and trust and once that is felt on both sides, you will know it is a good bond between you.
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Oh Noes. I fell in love today.   Oh Noes. I fell in love today. EmptyFri May 20, 2011 11:14 pm

I really love reading about the Jardines, they truly sound amazing. I'm just deathly scared of their beaks.. I'm more afraid of them than a macaw.
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

PostSubject: Re: Oh Noes. I fell in love today.   Oh Noes. I fell in love today. EmptyFri May 20, 2011 11:19 pm

Why?? Getting bit by them is something you tolerate a few times and once you gain their trust and love, no more bites. I'd rather be bit by my Jardine than our Hahn's... I'd rather bruise than bleed any day. Its all about confidence and trust. You feel it.
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

PostSubject: Re: Oh Noes. I fell in love today.   Oh Noes. I fell in love today. EmptyFri May 20, 2011 11:25 pm

If you are used to small birds its hard, I know. I went from a Jardines to a hybrid macaw, which is HUGE in comparison... and he bit through my chin.... but I still love him and trust him and roll around with him in my bed where he is free to mangle me at leisure. You have to push past the fear, realize its only a bruise and move on. I know its easier said than done, but after working with so many birds, I can honestly say bites get easier to deal with the more you get bit. Your skin gets thicker as your confindence grows. Smile
Back to top Go down
GlassOnion
Hyacinth Macaw
GlassOnion

PostSubject: Re: Oh Noes. I fell in love today.   Oh Noes. I fell in love today. EmptyFri May 20, 2011 11:33 pm

The bite was such a terrifying CHOMP that came at lightspeed!! It left no marks, not even a bruise, but my heart stopped for a second though.

Vikki I do have a few questions though.. :cyclops:

Do you ever get bitten by your Jardine's anymore? I read they are a lot feistier than some of the other pois, is this true?
I did read from somewhere that being loved by a macaw is truly a unique experience despite how lovely the poicephalus may be.. Would you say that your macs have this crazy power to latch on to your heart unlike any other companion birds?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oh Noes. I fell in love today.   Oh Noes. I fell in love today. Empty

Back to top Go down

Oh Noes. I fell in love today.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next