Parrot Paradise Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Oh Noes. I fell in love today.

Go down 
+4
Margaret
patdbunny
GlassOnion
kaeladedah
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Oh Noes. I fell in love today. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oh Noes. I fell in love today.   Oh Noes. I fell in love today. - Page 2 EmptyFri May 20, 2011 11:55 pm

Well, like I said, he made no attempt to bite me, but...yeah. That beak was A LOT compared to what I am used to. It is weighing heavily on me. I don't know anything about Jardines, I've been Googling them all afternoon. I feel like it would be super impulsive.....but he was so awesome.
Back to top Go down
Perch
Budgerigar
Perch

My Birds : Pickle the spoiled, Ecco the sweet, Merlyn the big, Arthur the brat, and Sebastian the loud

PostSubject: Re: Oh Noes. I fell in love today.   Oh Noes. I fell in love today. - Page 2 EmptyMon May 23, 2011 9:50 am

you have done research, it is no longer an impulse it is now well thought out
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

My Birds : Sebastian - 7 yr old Harlequin Macaw
Arthur - 12 yr old Jardines Parrot
Pickle - 16 yr old Hahn's Macaw
Ecko - 26 yr old Hahn's Macaw

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

PostSubject: Re: Oh Noes. I fell in love today.   Oh Noes. I fell in love today. - Page 2 EmptyMon May 23, 2011 10:04 am

GlassOnion wrote:
Do you ever get bitten by your Jardine's anymore? I read they are a lot feistier than some of the other pois, is this true?
I did read from somewhere that being loved by a macaw is truly a unique experience despite how lovely the poicephalus may be.. Would you say that your macs have this crazy power to latch on to your heart unlike any other companion birds?

Not like I used to, no. And if you think of it, my case was much worse. I was getting a rescued bird, which is already added stress for the little guy. When I first got him, I could barely touch him. He would actually lung at me and rip my skin off. They do have very strong little smooth beak, so they grip you like a pair of pliers. But when they are really pissed, they will twist as they have a hold on you and you end up with a bruise or blood blister or worse. My only saving grace at the time was that he has a scissor beak and couldn't get a good grip, but he did have sharp edges and that produced a lot of blood. All that aside (and I don't want to scare you off with tales of bloody fingers and pain) it all healed and I was more than willing to accept the pain knowing he was just a frightened little guy who needed my patience and love more than anything. I made a ritual of taking him out every day and playing with him, even if he wouldn't let me touch him. It took probably a year and a half before I could actually hold and cuddle him. Now... his favorite thing is to lay on his back on my chest while I'm at the computer and he gurgles and laughs and shows me how happy he is. Its all about trust, with any bird and you have to be willing to accept the pain, but the love and happiness will come.

That in itself is worth all the bruises and blood. Now really the only time he will bite (and its usually just a nip anymore) is when he's in a mood or if I have him out to play and he doesn't want to go back in his cage.

As for the draw of the macaw....most definitely. I love my Jardines to death, he was my first bird, and I never even dreamed I would get a large bird...ever. But when Sebastian came to the rescue it was so bizarre. There was something about him, like he had an old, human soul and we just clicked instantly. He actually came right to me and wouldn't let anyone else near him. As odd as it sounds, his original owner had to surrender him because she had cancer and was to weak and in the hospital too much to take are of him and considering that I have cancer as well, I think he sees a kindred spirit in me. Like a guardian angel. From day one he protected me fiercly, will put his wings around me and cover me when someone comes near me that he doesn't trust or like. Its very emotional. And I think the big difference between macaws and the smaller birds is that they are big. You can hug them and kiss them and its like having a highly intelliigent and emotional dog. You can cuddle smaller birds, but you can't put your arms around them, so there is more of a physical connection.
Back to top Go down
http://www.voliveri.com

PostSubject: Re: Oh Noes. I fell in love today.   Oh Noes. I fell in love today. - Page 2 EmptyMon May 23, 2011 10:40 am

Vikki, your post had me in tears. Birds are so special.

The jardines is going to his new home today. It is bittersweet, if anything I learned a lesson. I never wanted a quaker, now I have one. I never wanted a lovebird, now I have one. I'm listening universe! sunny
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

Plus the 180+ various bird from finch to Hyacinth at the rescue where I volunteer and live...

PostSubject: Re: Oh Noes. I fell in love today.   Oh Noes. I fell in love today. - Page 2 EmptyMon May 23, 2011 10:48 am

Exactly. I never had an urge to ever have a bird at all. But when I met Bryan, he had Pickle, his Hahn's, who he had forewarned me was a spoiled little brat that hated women and that I shouldn't even bother with him. The first day I met Pickle, I sat in a chair next to his cage and just talked to him, as if he were a person. I showed interest and he was curious. When I started to eat pizza (his favorite food) I more than got his interest and when I fed him some, he was convinced I was ok. After that, when Bryan moved in with Pickle, I could take him out of his cage or let him wander and when I was in the kitchen doing dishes, he would fly over and sit on my shoulder and chatter with me. Bryan and his mom both said they had never seen Pickle react like that with anyone. Maybe I just understand birds?

A few months later when I met Arthur, his brothers Jardines, it was the same thing. I chatted with him, gave him some attention and that made all the difference. Then about 6 months later we met Ecko, Jeanne and John at a pet show and that was it. Suddenly my house was full of birds. It just happens and I don't regret it at all.
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

PostSubject: Re: Oh Noes. I fell in love today.   Oh Noes. I fell in love today. - Page 2 EmptyMon May 23, 2011 10:11 pm

Oh, and a couple of you have mentioned a few times how you are terrified of large beaks (which makes Bryan and I both chuckle since we've both been bit in the face by macaws), so how about this pic. This is Bry and Piaui, Jeanne's Hyacinth. Biggest beak on the block...

Oh Noes. I fell in love today. - Page 2 Piaui10
Back to top Go down
coldtrance
Parrotlet
coldtrance

My Birds : Im lonely without my Sammy.
On the market for a new FID.

PostSubject: Re: Oh Noes. I fell in love today.   Oh Noes. I fell in love today. - Page 2 EmptyMon May 23, 2011 10:17 pm

Brave man to let the macaw get close to his eyes. I love hyacinth macaws... Ive got a little boyfriend at work whose a big blue baby
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

PostSubject: Re: Oh Noes. I fell in love today.   Oh Noes. I fell in love today. - Page 2 EmptyMon May 23, 2011 10:19 pm

Piaui is a sweetheart. He's only 4. Jeanne has had him since he was a baby and he thinks he's a puppy and he's used to being handled, so he loves it. Never been bit by him.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oh Noes. I fell in love today.   Oh Noes. I fell in love today. - Page 2 EmptyMon May 23, 2011 10:28 pm

I want to spend a day in you life with all these wonderful birds!
Back to top Go down
Perch
Budgerigar
Perch

My Birds : Pickle the spoiled, Ecco the sweet, Merlyn the big, Arthur the brat, and Sebastian the loud

PostSubject: Re: Oh Noes. I fell in love today.   Oh Noes. I fell in love today. - Page 2 EmptyMon May 23, 2011 10:34 pm

Julsiebean wrote:
I want to spend a day in you life with all these wonderful birds!

Find a way to get here and you can see all the birds and you don't have to look like me for a day.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oh Noes. I fell in love today.   Oh Noes. I fell in love today. - Page 2 EmptyMon May 23, 2011 10:36 pm

^Haha well, you have a deal. I've never been that far north before!
Back to top Go down
Vikki
Scarlet Macaw
Vikki

PostSubject: Re: Oh Noes. I fell in love today.   Oh Noes. I fell in love today. - Page 2 EmptyMon May 23, 2011 11:22 pm

Where are you?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oh Noes. I fell in love today.   Oh Noes. I fell in love today. - Page 2 EmptyTue May 24, 2011 8:02 am

North Carolina Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oh Noes. I fell in love today.   Oh Noes. I fell in love today. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Oh Noes. I fell in love today.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2